What Language Do You Use With Your Thai Partner?

isanbirder

I don't need to run a poll to find out that the vast majority of Thai/farang couples use English as their common language (maybe a few use French, German etc, but very few).

My question is, Why? Structurally Thai is a much easier language to learn... and it's the language of the country you live in. The only problem is the tonal system, but I'm sure this is easier than English's cumbersome grammar.

This is not a "holier than thou" thread; I use English too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... maybe because all Thais learn English in school and no Farangs (outside Thailand) learn Thai in school

... why make life difficult?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

English, mainly because my other half's English is vastly superior to my Thai. Also I expect in the long run it's probably more advantageous for her to improve her English than it is for me to improve my Thai. We do occasionally converse in Thai though.

I use english but now my Thai is getting better and we try to speak Thai for an hour. But her English is great so no problems there. So when things need to be real clear English is the language. She does speak some Dutch too.

... maybe because all Thais learn English in school and no Farangs (outside Thailand) learn Thai in school

Maybe they do nowadays, but some 40 years ago, don't think so. I use some sort of combo Eng-Thai.

Maybe they do nowadays, but some 40 years ago, don't think so. I use some sort of combo Eng-Thai.

I studied Thai at university more than 35 years ago. I wasn’t a very good classroom student but things changed after I moved here. Hormones are a great motivator.whistling.gif

Thanglish with more emphasis on the english side until i improve my Thai, as i live in the sticks i really do need to learn Thai so hopefully if i can stick with it, in the future we will probably mainly speak Thai.

to be honest, i have come to the conclusion that i have come from another planet. When my own mum say's sometimes she doesn't understand what i have said. I feel sorry for my wife.

I work with people that live all over England and i have worked in a lot of different countries too. I think that my dialect has got messed up on the way and now i have just invented my own way of talking. On the plus side, i am working in Belgium at present and they love the way i try to speak French (Well the way i sound).smile.png

My best mate understands every word i say, so i think i have found a fellow alien. biggrin.png

We spend part of the year here, and part of the year in the US, so for us it is English,

When here I mostly spend time with my wife's family, and they don't speak much English,so I am making an effort to learn the language.

The problem I have is which language? Here in Isaan the speak a mixture of Thai and Laos, and is confusing the heck out of me.

When I first knew my missus, my Thai was much better than her English and so we spoke in Thai.

She wanted to improve her English and so we started to speak English more often.

Since then, her English improved in leaps and bounds, at the same time my Thai stagnated.

Now it's predominately English, with occasional Thai.

Mostly English as we live in Australia now - there is a bit of Thai, as I encourage the children to make sure they are fluent and in touch with an important element of their culture.

Surin Khmer and Thai.

No Suay/Guay? But anyway you are a man after my own heart.

Funny my mother-in-law speaks that and my wife doesn't; she decided to keep going with the Surin Khmer. Does anyone know if there is a written form of Suay?

We speak pretty much exclusively in English. The only real exception is when talking about food. It creates far less confusion (and is infinitely easier) to say what I want to eat in Thai.

We also speak only in English to our daughter. The reason for this is she will be going to an English medium school, and we want to establish that as her first language. When she has that embedded, we will introduce Thai to her.

English.

Took me 20 years to learn English almost fluently. I belong to the 1% group here on TV who have problems learning languages.

Took my wife 2 years to speak and write very good English. Amazing.

I work outside Thailand 6-7 months a year, and can not practice the little Thai I have learned, and keep forgetting it instead.