What Language Do You Use With Your Thai Partner?

isanbirder

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only speak English at home as I don't want my daughter to be infected by my awful pronunciation of the Thai language... yesterday the cashier in McDonalds couldn't even understand me ordering a Mac Yai...

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

For the past seven years my selection criteria have included a "no English to speak of" policy, so it's been Thai only.

However they must be keen to learn and then I teach them, they usually get up to a decent level within 8-18 months, after which it's English whenever possible for their learning's sake.

I used to be willing to take on a partner that was "lazy to learn" if they were gorgeous and enthusiastic in other aspects, but don't anymore, ambitious and intelligent partners only.

My kids speak English only with me, Thai with the maids/SOs and Khmer when they go home to visit the grandparents, and I've caught them learning Spanish from Dora, but I try to discourage that (as well as Laos/Isaan) to keep them from getting too confused 8-)

We speak a funny language that is 75% english, 10% Thai, 10% Cantonese + 5% from the rest of the world. Both my gf and I work in an international environment and travel extensively so when we find a word in a language that seems to be the best to say what we want to say, we tend to use it.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of people who do speak Thai (or a local variant) with their partner. Well done, guys!

I thought (maybe judging from myself) most foreigners were either too lazy or too arrogant to learn Thai well enough.... or (there's one let-out) too old to cope with the tones. Myself? Too old and too lazy. Arrogant? What a suggestion!

I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of people who do speak Thai (or a local variant) with their partner. Well done, guys!

I thought (maybe judging from myself) most foreigners were either too lazy or too arrogant to learn Thai well enough.... or (there's one let-out) too old to cope with the tones. Myself? Too old and too lazy. Arrogant? What a suggestion!

I have found speaking Thai has enabled me to enjoy Lao more, where English isnt widely spoken in the main.

Speaking the language of your host country opens up so many more doors to you, even if you speak it badly.

I find the Thais respect you for just trying.

• Like 1

I have been criticized for speaking Thaiglish to my wife. I make no apologies for that because it is all about communication. Whatever works best IS best. My wife has learned to speak English fairly well but there are many times when I have to explain different words and phrases to her.

I have a major problem with the Thai tonal language. So many words, depending on the tone, mean many different things.

ADDED - My phone has an excellent English to Thai translation program. That helps a lot.

Edited by Gary A

I have been criticized for speaking Thaiglish to my wife. I make no apologies for that because it is all about communication. Whatever works best IS best. My wife has learned to speak English fairly well but there are many times when I have to explain different words and phrases to her.

I have a major problem with the Thai tonal language. So many words, depending on the tone, mean many different things.

ADDED - My phone has an excellent English to Thai translation program. That helps a lot.

To look at movie and go look for place to sit down are the same except for tones. Last weekend I watched the Avengers in 3D. I didn't know I was going to do that. I thought we were going to go sit down. smile.png

I've been forbidden from speaking Thai with my daughter by the grandparents, they don't understand why I'm imparting an Isan dialect and accent when we are clearly "dek thep"

Wife and siblings speak fluent English and wife now is proud of her ability to understand the beautiful London accent and pronounce money as cash, ass as arsehol_e and know which of my acquaintances currently hold the title of C.U.Next Tuesday

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Tonal Thai. That is the problem for many of us older people who often have hearing problems to begin with and that makes it easier to get the tone wrong and land yourself in the sh*t.

I mainly use English because it is an international language. Thai people soon learn how to speak English. I do understand some Thai but rarely have to use it - thankfully.

Speaking the language of your host country opens up so many more doors to you, even if you speak it badly.

I find the Thais respect you for just trying.

It's true everywhere in the world thumbsup.gif

Well, maybe it's just me, however, several times has happened to me, that while in predominantly touristic areas, talking the local language complitely changed the attitude of the native i was talking with (which always was somebody trying to sell something or connected somehow to the seller), from a wide smile and welcoming behauvoir to a "i am not interested in you, you are just bothering me and go away now!" kind of attitude....

I speak Thai and English to my boyfriend. :) I can't speak fluent Thai but I attempt to as much as I can and learn more every day. He speaks very good English after travelling to England more than once so it's not that I have to speak Thai. I just want to. ;)

I feel kind of sexy when I'm talking Thai... I think it's the sounds/tones and the way your mouth has to move! :D

• Like 1

I speak Thai and English to my boyfriend. smile.png I can't speak fluent Thai but I attempt to as much as I can and learn more every day. He speaks very good English after travelling to England more than once so it's not that I have to speak Thai. I just want to. wink.png

I feel kind of sexy when I'm talking Thai... I think it's the sounds/tones and the way your mouth has to move! biggrin.png

It does seem like farang women make more of an effort to learn Thai than farang men. Being able to speak the local language would open up new frontiers like you wouldn't believe, particularly in relationships. I speak Thai exclusively to the GF as she doesn't speak much English. Pretty much every Thai girl I've dated the past few years were the same.

I speak Thai and English to my boyfriend. smile.png I can't speak fluent Thai but I attempt to as much as I can and learn more every day. He speaks very good English after travelling to England more than once so it's not that I have to speak Thai. I just want to. wink.png

I feel kind of sexy when I'm talking Thai... I think it's the sounds/tones and the way your mouth has to move! biggrin.png

It does seem like farang women make more of an effort to learn Thai than farang men. Being able to speak the local language would open up new frontiers like you wouldn't believe, particularly in relationships. I speak Thai exclusively to the GF as she doesn't speak much English. Pretty much every Thai girl I've dated the past few years were the same.

When you say girl, do you mean lady?

I don't know any female Thais below the age of 30 who can't speak half-decent English

As I understand it, English is part of the school curriculum and has been for some time

I don't know any female Thais below the age of 30 who can't speak half-decent English

As I understand it, English is part of the school curriculum and has been for some time

Oh my gosh is that not correct. I have taught thousands of children in Thai government schools, thousands mind you. And almost none of them can direct a person to the location of a toilet. Thousands, honest. My first lesson of the new term was always teaching the children how to tell a Farang where the toilet was. Simple question really, "Where is the toilet?" So if you run into a child in Thailand who knows where the toilet is; yup one of my students. No one got out of my class without being able to tell a Farang where the toilet was. Even the retarded children. I taught em all. Not much else but the term was not that long. Term two was usually, "Where is da bus?" "Over dare."

• Like 2

Oh my gosh is that not correct. I have taught thousands of children in Thai government schools, thousands mind you. And almost none of them can direct a person to the location of a toilet. Thousands, honest. My first lesson of the new term was always teaching the children how to tell a Farang where the toilet was. Simple question really, "Where is the toilet?" So if you run into a child in Thailand who knows where the toilet is; yup one of my students. No one got out of my class without being able to tell a Farang where the toilet was. Even the retarded children. I taught em all. Not much else but the term was not that long. Term two was usually, "Where is da bus?" "Over dare."

Nice story mate - what is your point?

Nice story mate - what is your point?

I think the point is that for the vast majority their ability in English is rudimentary at best. BTW I know quite a few women under 30 in a working environment, all uni graduates, and their English is hopeless, with only a few exceptions.

• Like 1

It is true that even upcountry, English is taught in public schools. I am often amused by children who try to test their newly learned English on me. Adults who speak even rudimentary English are few and far between. One of the local little girls pronounces what English phrases she knows perfectly. My wife has been using the computer to study English for several years and she frequently mangles words to the extent that I have no idea what she said.

• Like 1

The English of the graduated uni students here really is quite bad, even of those who've graduated from computer sciences where the ability to understand English (Googling for bits of code and so on) is practically mandatory. However take a Thai outside the country for a year or two and lo and behold, they seem to pick up a language in no time. I was thoroughly amazed by a lady in my wife's village who previously spoke no English, but after snagging an American farang and having spent a few months in California greeted me with absolutely perfect American English, complete with Californian accent. Wasn't limited to that either, she could easily converse in English. So I blame the school system here, not the raw material.

That said, I've too been quite lazy in pointing out grammatical errors my wife makes while speaking English, who really cares as long as the comms work. Another story with the kids though, I habitually correct them and they are quick to pick it up. They'll most probably need English in their future lives. Haven't taught any one more than one word of my native language, I see no use for it outside my native country, where I'm not likely to return but for short holidays.

• Like 1