Can Thais Drive Drunk?

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

Can Thais drive drunk? The holiday driving crackdown has begun but it remains socially acceptable to drive drunk in the land of smiles and impolite to try and talk a drunk out of getting behind the wheel.

More than three thousand children die each year due to unsafe in environments. Calls for improvements bring so much more good news to all residents of Thailand than just a safer world.

And how to get everything you ever wanted from a Thai bureaucrat.

On the next Thailand Today, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 5am, 1pm and 9pm, only on http://www.radiobangkok.net Hot in the city!

This quick note, please visit our website and take our Radio Bangkok survey. It takes only a couple of minutes. Also, Radio Bangkok reaches 150,000 listeners a month and if you or your company would like to sponsor Thailand Today or any of our shows, visit our website or email us at [email protected]

The holiday driving crackdown has begun but it remains socially acceptable to drive drunk in the land of smiles and impolite to try and talk a drunk out of getting behind the wheel.

That is nearly word for word from today's Nation. Are you affiliated?

impolite to try and talk a drunk out of getting behind the wheel.

It's 'impolite' to try & talk a drunk out from behind the wheel most places aside from northern Europe. Scandinavians fare better as child molesters than recipients of a DWI... :o

According to some on this forum you shouldn't try and change anything here, try changing yourself instead.

With this in mind i'm going to drink a large volume of alcohol and then get behind the wheel and put my new born baby girl and wife's life at peril.

The emergency services guy who just about killed me an hour ago in his truck whilst i was goiing to the 7-11 certainly couldn;'t drive - ###### that he is - ######ing pickup truck with red lights and a siren on the wrong side of the road blazing towards me on my bloody moped =- thts just not fair.

The holiday driving crackdown has begun but it remains socially acceptable to drive drunk in the land of smiles and impolite to try and talk a drunk out of getting behind the wheel.

That is nearly word for word from today's Nation. Are you affiliated?

It is and I should have credited them. I do on the radio show Thailand Today. The editorial serves as a launching pad for the discussion about Thai norms on drunk driving.

My apologies. It was a very thoughtful piece and thoughtless not to mention it in the program promo.

You can hear that segment on tomorrow's The Best of Thailand Today Radio Show. Sunday, 9am and 9pm on http://www.radiobangkok.net.

On the next Thailand Today,

Can Thais drive drunk? The holiday driving crackdown has begun but it remains socially acceptable to drive drunk in the land of smiles and impolite to try and talk a drunk out of getting behind the wheel.

I actually went out not so long ago with one of my Thai colleagues driving, completely drunk.

We were stopped by the police and tried to pay our way out but it did not work.

We got the fine.

And could leave, with my colleague driving... :o

There's a great advert on the telly where a guy who is drunk calls his friend whilst he is driving to ask for directions to a restaraunt....his friend directs him to a police roadblock where he is removed from his car and is shown sitting in the road ranting and raving.....superb!

Anybody else seen it?

From my personal experience, relating to Thai skills with the motorbike: I was studying at an international University in Hua Hin for two years. Among the farang that rode motorbikes around town, there was close to a 100% accident rate, even among those that never drove drunk. On the other hand, most motorcycle taxi drivers start drinking sang som and mekong in the late afternoon. Nonetheless, I don't recall anyone ever getting into an accident on a taxi. Bottom line for me is: I'd rather ride with a drunk Thai than with a sober farang :o

The emergency services guy who just about killed me an hour ago in his truck whilst i was goiing to the 7-11 certainly couldn;'t drive - ###### that he is - ######ing pickup truck with red lights and a siren on the wrong side of the road blazing towards me on my bloody moped =- thts just not fair.

That was PeaceBlondies personal hit squad mr a. That will teach you for taking the piss out of him about "spare parts" :o:D:D

From my personal experience, relating to Thai skills with the motorbike: I was studying at an international University in Hua Hin for two years. Among the farang that rode motorbikes around town, there was close to a 100% accident rate, even among those that never drove drunk. On the other hand, most motorcycle taxi drivers start drinking sang som and mekong in the late afternoon. Nonetheless, I don't recall anyone ever getting into an accident on a taxi. Bottom line for me is: I'd rather ride with a drunk Thai than with a sober farang  :o

So how long have you been on drugs