What Is It With Cars In Thailand?

Still I have no exact idea why 2nd hand cars are that expensive.

The arguments above are not convincing (not only import cars have a low impairment).

One explanation I heard:

1) Only very few buyers are able to pay cash

2) Of the majority, many buyers are not able to get a bank loan for a new (or used) car (bank loans not available to peasants, small businesses etc., available to government officials and white-collar employees)

3) 2nd hand dealers offer loans to those buyers and abuse their financing power for ridiculous prices and terms of loan.

OK , many answers allready but i sum it up for you and maybe give another reason .

1 closed market . No 2nd hand vehicles come inside the market from outside , so everything is Thai based , with it's own economy .

2 cheap service and repair . So even an old vehicle with work on it is still worth it .

3 tropical climate , so no salt which rusts away anything and also the engines nearly never start cold cold . They last very long ( i've seen a immense amount of cars with more then just a few 100k on the clock still driving ) .It is bad for the battery but good for the engine .

4 growing economy . Maybe this is a new one for you . Thailand used to be a 3th world country not very long ago . More and more people can start thinking about having a car rather then not even looking at it . This means demand for cars is high and many change hand 3/4/5 times b4 it is completely wasted . So supply and demand ...

5 see also nr 4 . 2nd hand is a real market in Thailand . Everything on the market is bought and sold many times . Cars are just 1 part of it .

Now stop moaning about the price of a car or anything else in Thailand because this is the way it is . Or you learn to live with it or you go live somewhere else where the price of a car is allready dropped the second you look at it . This is Thailand and cars here are this amount .Maybe you change the game by buying a new car and drop it on the market 1 year later at half of what you paid coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding batteries, my first lasted about 3 years, the second is on it's 4th year. Even though some is billed as maintenance-free, it does help to add water from time to time.

To add to that, I purchased my current pickup secondhand 3 years ago, it still has the same battery it came with, granted I have now added a second battery to help with the electrical load I have but the original is still in working condition.

• Like 1

Regarding batteries, my first lasted about 3 years, the second is on it's 4th year. Even though some is billed as maintenance-free, it does help to add water from time to time.

To add to that, I purchased my current pickup secondhand 3 years ago, it still has the same battery it came with, granted I have now added a second battery to help with the electrical load I have but the original is still in working condition.

Do you set the second battery up with some sort of diode filter, that allows it to get charged by the alternator but doesn't supply the normal car electrics? (like a deep cycle battery) - for running things like fridges and the like or is it just hooked up in tandem?

Still I have no exact idea why 2nd hand cars are that expensive.

The arguments above are not convincing (not only import cars have a low impairment).

One explanation I heard:

1) Only very few buyers are able to pay cash

2) Of the majority, many buyers are not able to get a bank loan for a new (or used) car (bank loans not available to peasants, small businesses etc., available to government officials and white-collar employees)

3) 2nd hand dealers offer loans to those buyers and abuse their financing power for ridiculous prices and terms of loan.

OK , many answers allready but i sum it up for you and maybe give another reason .

1 closed market . No 2nd hand vehicles come inside the market from outside , so everything is Thai based , with it's own economy .

2 cheap service and repair . So even an old vehicle with work on it is still worth it .

3 tropical climate , so no salt which rusts away anything and also the engines nearly never start cold cold . They last very long ( i've seen a immense amount of cars with more then just a few 100k on the clock still driving ) .It is bad for the battery but good for the engine .

4 growing economy . Maybe this is a new one for you . Thailand used to be a 3th world country not very long ago . More and more people can start thinking about having a car rather then not even looking at it . This means demand for cars is high and many change hand 3/4/5 times b4 it is completely wasted . So supply and demand ...

5 see also nr 4 . 2nd hand is a real market in Thailand . Everything on the market is bought and sold many times . Cars are just 1 part of it .

Now stop moaning about the price of a car or anything else in Thailand because this is the way it is . Or you learn to live with it or you go live somewhere else where the price of a car is allready dropped the second you look at it . This is Thailand and cars here are this amount .Maybe you change the game by buying a new car and drop it on the market 1 year later at half of what you paid coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

I'll go with you on No.2! Cheap service! This is the biggest limiting factor for me when owning a car in the UK.

You can buy a car there for 200 GBP, but if you take it in for a service, they will charge you more than you paid for the car!

I ran a company car for 5 years, everything was paid for, new tyres, services oil change, repairs blah blah blah, and for the UK garages to open your bonnet and just take a look at the car you ended up with a bill for over 100GBP!

Here, I get oil changes free when I buy the oil, and if you get a little bit more work done (like the gaiters) they generally clean the car too for free.

I wasn't having a go at Thais and the Thai services, I was was just amazed at the difference between the second hand resale value. The Thai prices for labour actually defeat any reason to do your own repairs, unless you want it done properly.

I do wonder about used car prices as they do seem high. Solution is to buy new.

How do you add water to a maintenance free battery - I presumed they were sealed with none of those little caps on the top?????

• Like 1

Do you set the second battery up with some sort of diode filter, that allows it to get charged by the alternator but doesn't supply the normal car electrics? (like a deep cycle battery) - for running things like fridges and the like or is it just hooked up in tandem?

No, it is directly connected in parallel to the primary battery (both batteries feed the whole car), car stereo pulls a huge amount of power and even whilst driving around it would drain the battery in less than an hour (before I added a second, now its good for 3 hrs).

Sitting on the bench awaiting install is a 180amp alternator that will be added as a separate circuit (will keep original alternator to charge the car) to solely provide charge to the stereo batteries (3 more to install).

Amusingly a car purchased for 1,000,000 baht in the UK has a resale value of 200,000baht 5 yrs later, a 1,000,000 baht car in Thailand has a resale value of 800,000baht 5 yrs later..............

That depreciation in the UK sure is value for money aint it !!!!!!!

Absolutely spot on - you can get an even bigger hit if you buy a shit mobile in the UK or a very expensive top of the range fuel guzzler. I have not bought a car here yet but will buy a new one which in relative terms is a bargain with almost no depreciation - having said that I am an unlucky bastard so after I buy it they will probably scrap the import tax on motors and mine will lose 30% lol. never mind I will still be living here!

Edited by scotinsiam

I agree. 2nd hand cars in Thailand are ridiculously over priced. it also amazes me how many 2nd hand cars are for sale. They're bloody everywhere.

This may or may not be true but I remember someone telling me the 2nd hand car industry in Thailand is controlled by the car industry itself. Keeping prices high.

Getting loans is pretty easy and in many cases as soon as someone secures a reasonable job they'll go out and buy a car. Only problem is they have to make monthly repayments. Therefore a lot of repossessions.

This actually happened with one of my staff. Secured a well paid job, next week turned up in a new car. Only problem is she had no license.

Oh yeah, good on you for raising this topic. I don't understand that some people think that whenever someone raises a question about Thailand they should go home. Long live freedom of speech.

I agree. 2nd hand cars in Thailand are ridiculously over priced. it also amazes me how many 2nd hand cars are for sale. They're bloody everywhere.

This may or may not be true but I remember someone telling me the 2nd hand car industry in Thailand is controlled by the car industry itself. Keeping prices high.

Getting loans is pretty easy and in many cases as soon as someone secures a reasonable job they'll go out and buy a car. Only problem is they have to make monthly repayments. Therefore a lot of repossessions.

This actually happened with one of my staff. Secured a well paid job, next week turned up in a new car. Only problem is she had no license.

Oh yeah, good on you for raising this topic. I don't understand that some people think that whenever someone raises a question about Thailand they should go home. Long live freedom of speech.

I don't understand why people keep saying 'overpriced'. The prices of second hand cars are determined by cars on offer and people looking for cars, so the market. If it is overpriced it won't be sold.

Edited by stevenl

why are you all having a go at this guy? he asked a simple question on an open forum,respect it and give him a decent answer or shut the <deleted>> up.

Thenervousurgeon. Well said mate, you do get some ignorant b------ds on this forum at times.

why are you all having a go at this guy? he asked a simple question on an open forum,respect it and give him a decent answer or shut the <deleted>> up.

Thank You! I didn't think I was breaking any rules, if the topic needs moving just tell me, no problem. Jesus, you get attacked on this forum for no reason at all. I don't understand the mentality of some of these posters.

Probably no wonder this forum has such a bad rep.

Unfortunately you need to develop a thick skin if you're to post on any forum. I don't think TV is unique in that.

The hot humid weather in Thailand destroys batteries, hot battery = dead battery fairly quickly. So only reliable for 2 years.

Why are second hand cars expensive.

Thailand doesn't put salt on the roads in winter, so the cars don't go rusty, so they hold their value.

Labour costs in Thailand are 50bht an hour compared to 50UKP an hour in the UK.

Large import duties on cars make it worthwhile keeping them running for a longer time.

I've found running an old car in Thailand to be extremely cheap, parts and labour cheap. Insurance and MOT testing cheap.

All in all, far better value for money than the UK.

Fantastic answer.....thumbsup.gif

Do cars actually need MOTs in Thailand?

]Do cars actually need MOTs in Thailand?

Yes once they are 7 years old. I had to do my pickup this year and they tested brakes/lights/horn/indicators/emissions.

Amusingly my airbag warning light is illuminated as I have removed the airbag wheel, this was not an issue !!

OP. One answer. The Tropics, heat and humidity.

Batteries and rubber, on the whole, do not last well here.

For a Thai, new cars are a massive investment. Labor is cheap and older cars are maintained in good nick far longer than in the UK.

Everything has a flip side, are used cars too expensive here or is the market depreciation too savage in the UK?

I have no horse in this race, and this is truly a real question; isn't rubber from Thailand?

OP. One answer. The Tropics, heat and humidity.

Batteries and rubber, on the whole, do not last well here.

For a Thai, new cars are a massive investment. Labor is cheap and older cars are maintained in good nick far longer than in the UK.

Everything has a flip side, are used cars too expensive here or is the market depreciation too savage in the UK?

I have no horse in this race, and this is truly a real question; isn't rubber from Thailand?

Yes Thailand produces rubber, it also produces a climate which is harsh on many things including but not limited to rubber, batteries and wanna be bar owners, to name a few.

Edited by Spoonman

Yes once they are 7 years old. I had to do my pickup this year and they tested brakes/lights/horn/indicators/emissions.

Amusingly my airbag warning light is illuminated as I have removed the airbag wheel, this was not an issue !!

Thanks Spoonman, so you won't need to MOT your car for another seven years, I have a fifteen year old Toyota Corona with LPG, I payed 150.000 Baht for it about two years ago,it has been very reliable, it got checked over when I went to tax it, it took about five minutes, maybe that was it's MOT.

Thanks Spoonman, so you won't need to MOT your car for another seven years, I have a fifteen year old Toyota Corona with LPG, I payed 150.000 Baht for it about two years ago,it has been very reliable, it got checked over when I went to tax it, it took about five minutes, maybe that was it's MOT.

I was under the impression once a vehicle is 7 yrs old they need an inspection every year.

There is a 1990 Mazda Famlia for sale in classified at 70k bath, new ac - batteries & tires which is a good example of a real used but properly still okay car.

When I was looking for a used car 3-4 years ago I though I could get a decent sedan for 200k bath but quickly realized that I was dreaming, I ended up paying 480k bath for a used top model City 06.

Same car can be sold today at just over 400k bath when checking 1-2car so ownership have been very cheap, never any problems with it.

I was under the impression once a vehicle is 7 yrs old they need an inspection every year.

I don't know mate, I really don't think it matters, after all "This is Thailand."

After the car is 7 years old you need the inspection every year before the renewal of the registration....you can renew the registration at the station,no need to go to the DOT,but you will not get it at the same day(2-4days)....it will help to pass your car inspection as well, IMO...

OP, do be quiet, your not in farang land now. Try understanding Thais THEN you will see how it is here. BUT, just for you, buy a Boliden battery, if you can find a supplier. biggrin.png

I am not in Farangland now, nor have I been since 1997, but I would love to know what a Boliden Battery is! But foremost, I would love to know why Batteries in Thailand made by Toyota last only 18 months - apparently, it is not only here but it is 52% of complaints in Japan too!

I pity those poor sods buying those "HYBRID" things - imagine replacing those every 18 months - However I did read that GM reckoned that any user would get at least 10 years from them!

Totally diferent Battery in Hybrid to the Battery that starts cars, some people know very little about cars.

Motorcycle's or car/truck needs an inspection after 7 years old for registration.

Don't loose any sleep over it, I have a 32 year old army jeep that failed the brake test (since repaired). I thought I was screwed, but the guy at the test center just asked me if I was OK with that. I said sure and got my registration and gov. insurance at the next desk

That is Thailand

I guess we should to consider the different climate we are using our cars.

I had to face many situation since i drive my own car in Thailand, especially about battery which I have to refill with water often especially during the hot season.

I never refilled my car battery ( I not speaking about no maintenance battery) while I was in my country.

So different climate different problem.

What is a gaiter ?

If you dislike the price of cars here (New/Secondhand/replacement parts etc) be proactive and instead of moaning about it and vote with your feet and ride a scoot (or even walk) not as if anyone is holding a gun to your head, alternatively head back to the UK seeing as though it is sooooooooo much better there.

Where you born an Ar*ehole or did you have to work at it?

The issue isn't really the low depreciation in Thailand but the high depreciation in the UK.

There are several reasons for this.

1. salting the roads in winter means that cars rust a lot more in the UK.

2. The expenses/hassle of running a car more than 3 years old is higher (with the MOT test, repair costs, etc.). i.e. running a 6 year old car in the UK can be very cheap until something goes wrong and the garage bills start adding up.

3. There isn't a restriction on importing used cars so you get cars imported from places like Japan (where depreciation is even worse as Japan's MOT system makes the UK MOT system look like Thailands.) It is common to simply get rid of the car in Japan and buy a new one just because it's reached the age where it needs to be tested. Most of these, because Japan also drives on the left, end up in Oz/New Zealand/Ireland/UK because closer RHD countries (Thailand, India) don't allow the import of used cars.

4. Easier credit terms at dealers, and lower initial prices for cars, which means that people will often buy new in the UK where their finances simply wouldn't allow it in Thailand. In Thailand you can essentially only get a car loan if you have a government job (i.e. you're unsackable - even if you're terrible you just get moved to an "inactive" post), or you can basically prove that you're a good credit risk. (i.e. you have cash in the bank or assets, like property, that are worth significantly more than you're borrowing.)

i.e. If Thailand ever got credit rating agencies and the same levels of easy credit as in the west, a lot more people could buy their cars new and used prices would then start to tumble.

Amusingly a car purchased for 1,000,000 baht in the UK has a resale value of 200,000baht 5 yrs later, a 1,000,000 baht car in Thailand has a resale value of 800,000baht 5 yrs later..............

That depreciation in the UK sure is value for money aint it !!!!!!!

Absolutely spot on - you can get an even bigger hit if you buy a shit mobile in the UK or a very expensive top of the range fuel guzzler. I have not bought a car here yet but will buy a new one which in relative terms is a bargain with almost no depreciation - having said that I am an unlucky bastard so after I buy it they will probably scrap the import tax on motors and mine will lose 30% lol. never mind I will still be living here!

If you can afford to run it those top end motors are bargain central back in the UK aren't they? My mate just bought a second hand motor privately. 2004 BMW 740. All the toys. 1 owner from new. 70000 miles full main dealer history. 2000 quid ( 100k baht )

At the end of my soi a bloke is selling a hand painted Isuzu pickup of biblical vintage that looks as if it was dropped from into a battle zone from a Hercules transport aircraft but the parachue failed to open and smokes like the Cannoball Express for the same price.