I Have A Retirement Visa But I'M Now Married To A Thai Girl.

Getting my annual retirement visa In the past before I was married, I showed Chiang Mai Immigration a statement from Bangkok Bank showing that I had at least 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account. It was easy.

Next year I hope It will be much easier when I renew my VISA because I am told I only need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account because I am now married. Is this true and is the paperwork needed for next years Retirement Visa and easy process?

Exactly what do I need to do?

I searched Thai Visa past questions online and I can not find anything to help me 100%

Thank you kindly

Joe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Joe

Strange logic though....as a single retiree you need 800k (as annual livng expenses)but when you are married only half this.

Does that mean the Wife will be contributing her own 400k because your 400k to take care of 2 cant be right.

IF so thats fantastic news-win win all round

You appear to be eligible for an annual extension based on marriage. However, many reports over the years that people generally find getting retirement extensions "easier" than marriage extensions. With marriage you have the issue of proving the relationship and the money. With retirement, its all about the money.

Yes, you only need to show 400,000 baht. But the paperwork is much more difficult. You need copies of all your paperwork (passport & bankbook) plus your wife's paperwork (ID & Tabien Baan), copy of marriage certificate, map of where you live, photo of you and you wife outside your home, Immigration might schedule a visit to your marriage home. Plus the extension is not granted immediately like your retirement extension, needs to be approved in Bangkok and takes at least a month. Oh ... so you need to supply duplicate copies of all your paperwork, one for local office, one for Bangkok. Need to take your wife for the application and both of you have to sign a statement prepared by Immigration.

• Like 1

Yes, you only need to show 400,000 baht. But the paperwork is much more difficult. You need copies of all your paperwork (passport & bankbook) plus your wife's paperwork (ID & Tabien Baan), copy of marriage certificate, map of where you live, photo of you and you wife outside your home, Immigration might schedule a visit to your marriage home. Plus the extension is not granted immediately like your retirement extension, needs to be approved in Bangkok and takes at least a month. Oh ... so you need to supply duplicate copies of all your paperwork, one for local office, one for Bangkok. Need to take your wife for the application and both of you have to sign a statement prepared by Immigration.

Yep, a lot of extra work. I elected for retirement over marriage because it's done and dusted in a day and to be honest the interest that the extra 400k you need to have in a Thai bank is better than what you would earn on it back home

you are as stated above eligible for extension based on marriage. You both need to go to immigration though. You cannot do it by yourself. If you have the 800K or have a pension, then I would suggest keeping that as your reason for extension.

As stated above it is easier to get a retirement than marriage.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame edited out
  • Like 1

you are as stated above eligible for extension based on marriage. You both need to go to immigration though. You cannot do it by yourself. If you have the 800K or have a pension, then I would suggest keeping that as your reason for extension.

As stated above it is easier to get a retirement than marriage.

Correct. If you have the 800K to show, it would be wise to continue with the retirement extension. Things can happen when married (hopefully not) and if you're on the marriage extension if the marriage for some reason ends, then you don't have the extension to stay anymore.

I was wondering if I had as part of my qualifications money in the bank say 400,000 Baht and the rest in income if the money in the bank could be in a joint account with my wife in case I died.

Also could I have 200,000 Baht in the bank and proof of 50,000 Baht for my retirement visa?

I support the above last three entries. For peace of mind sake, just stay with the "retirement" visa (extension). Much, much easier in all respects.

Yes Yes Yes -- just stay with retirement visa - makes life so much easier been doing it for 5 years now

Depending on your nationality you can just get a Statutory Declaration signed at your embassy to say you have a minimum income of 65,000baht/month income.

Each embassy appears to have different arrangements with Thai Immigration.

I was wondering if I had as part of my qualifications money in the bank say 400,000 Baht and the rest in income if the money in the bank could be in a joint account with my wife in case I died.

Also could I have 200,000 Baht in the bank and proof of 50,000 Baht for my retirement visa?

No, I had to find out also, the combination yearly income + bank balance = 400 000 doesn't apply to marriage extension. It's either the one or the other. That's another reason why retirement visa is more attractive.

No, I had to find out also, the combination yearly income + bank balance = 400 000 doesn't apply to marriage extension. It's either the one or the other. That's another reason why retirement visa is more attractive.

Also they (MHS immo at least) could care less if you have millions and millions in a joint account if you are extending a retirement visa - the money for this purpose needs to be in an account in your name only for at least 3 months prior. Although a farang-farang retired couple could be different.

At this time, money must be in your bank, joint accounts not considered. Or must be your personal income (think it's 45,000 baht/month, depends on your nationality). Technically you can off part bank money and part income but I often find some officers can't be bothered making the calculation and just demand one or the other. I say 'at this time' as a few year ago Immigration insisted on a joint bank account or accepted joint income, but the rules abruptly changed, so we never know what they will do next year.

At this time, money must be in your bank, joint accounts not considered. Or must be your personal income (think it's 45,000 baht/month, depends on your nationality).

Since we are talking retirement extension here the requirement is:

• Income of 65,000 baht per month, or
  • bank deposit of 800,000 baht seasoned for three months (two months for the first extension), or
  • combination of income and bank deposit totalling 800,000 baht (no seasoning required)

The amounts are the same for everyone and does not depend on your nationality.

Agree that the bank account and income has to be the applicants alone, joint accounts and income from spouse does not count.

Sophon

Keep your money in an account in your name only, deal with death issues with a simple will.

At this time, money must be in your bank, joint accounts not considered. Or must be your personal income (think it's 45,000 baht/month, depends on your nationality).

Since we are talking retirement extension here the requirement is:

• Income of 65,000 baht per month, or
  • bank deposit of 800,000 baht seasoned for three months (two months for the first extension), or
  • combination of income and bank deposit totalling 800,000 baht (no seasoning required)

The amounts are the same for everyone and does not depend on your nationality.

Agree that the bank account and income has to be the applicants alone, joint accounts and income from spouse does not count.

Sophon

munch appreciated I have plenty of guaranteed income was just wondering if in case of the baht going up I could use some money in the bank as part of it.

I suppose the way around making it available to the wife in case of my death would be to get a ATM card and leave it with the pin number in our safe.

Probably does not matter to one who was previously on a extension of stay based on retirement but...A extension based on marriage does allow you to work.

With permit of course. The retirement does not.

Keep your money in an account in your name only, deal with death issues with a simple will.

Good advice - anyone with a Thai wife or family, should make a Thai will for assets in this country.

Married extension, you can get a work permit, you can apply for citizenship.

Retirement extension, you can sit and ............

Never put your money into a joint account.

Well so far 6 years it hasn't posed a problem. But I was thinking of one where we would not touch the money just use it for visa purposes and as has been recommended here and I agree don't use a married one unless you can't afford the regular single one.

Also as one poster just pointed out you can get a work one on a married one. That gives a bit of freedom to people who wish to do volunteer work or just drop into a bar and jam.

I would suggest checking with your bank and/or an attorney before leaving an ATM card and PIN for someone to use on a deceased bank account owner's account.

MSPain

Good idea. As it would be illegal for anyone except the accountholder to withdraw money from the account.

That's the good advice.

Another vote for retirement rather than marriage. Even the immigration officer told me that.

Compared to retirement, a marriage extension can be a walk on the dark side.

Another vote for retirement rather than marriage. Even the immigration officer told me that.

Compared to retirement, a marriage extension can be a walk on the dark side.

And next year when they decide that anyone on a marriage extension for 5 continuous years will receive Thai citizenship ............. you won't and I will.

When you talk to a competent immigration official (not a lazy one) and ask what visa you should be on, the answer is always the visa appropriate to you being in Thailand. If you are here because you are married, you should be on a marriage extension.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I would suggest checking with your bank and/or an attorney before leaving an ATM card and PIN for someone to use on a deceased bank account owner's account.

MSPain

Good idea. As it would be illegal for anyone except the accountholder to withdraw money from the account.

The bank is going to freeze all accounts held in the name of a deceased person, even joint accounts, until the details of probate can be determined. It's a bad idea for some westerner to think the bank won't know about his death and his honey can go clean out the account using an ATM card immediately upon his death. Deaths of westerners are noticed here and reported to consulates immediately. It's a very simple matter to get a Thai Will at the Amphur office if you have few assets (like just a bank account or vehicle) and you have few beneficiaries. Hubby and I did it. The total cost was less than 1500 baht. The major expense was getting letters of residency from Immigration to satisfy the Amphur office requirements.

• Like 1

MSPain

The bank is going to freeze all accounts held in the name of a deceased person, even joint accounts, until the details of probate can be determined. It's a bad idea for some westerner to think the bank won't know about his death and his honey can go clean out the account using an ATM card immediately upon his death. Deaths of westerners are noticed here and reported to consulates immediately. It's a very simple matter to get a Thai Will at the Amphur office if you have few assets (like just a bank account or vehicle) and you have few beneficiaries. Hubby and I did it. The total cost was less than 1500 baht. The major expense was getting letters of residency from Immigration to satisfy the Amphur office requirements.

Thanks for elaborating on my one- liner. laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

Edited by Semper