The Filipinos Are Coming!

Jingthing

I had a Mexican meal in Edinburgh back in 99 , it was up near the sound box or whatever that place was called . So the waiter says they have a real Mexican chef . Well me and my scneck order a paella of sorts and loads of marguerittas . It got late and we were the only customers in the place ,and so the chef came out for a drink and it turned out he was a Philippino and had never been to Mexico and he got the job because sounded like kermit the frog when he spoke and was swarthy . The food was unremarkable though .

The fact that they served paella should have been a clue.w00t.gif

Clueless me . It was Edinburgh Scotland and I've never even been to Mexico .

I did visit Thailand with a Philippina partner about 12 years ago . The trip took in Ko Chang and Pattaya . She would often be mistaken for an Issan woman and in some places the serving staff , who would talk over my head to her , became pissed off that she would not answer back in Thai .

She really liked to farty .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if they still do the Filipino buffet night one night a week at Bourbon Street restaurant? Speaking of Pinoy food, I actually like some of it. If not at Bourbon Street are there any other restaurants in town with Filipino offerings?

I like Adobo quite a bit, but the list pretty much ends there as far as excellent Filipino dishes. That being said, the New Orleans restaurant in Pattaya has better Filipino food than anything I had in the Philippines.

Does anyone know if they still do the Filipino buffet night one night a week at Bourbon Street restaurant? Speaking of Pinoy food, I actually like some of it. If not at Bourbon Street are there any other restaurants in town with Filipino offerings?

I like Adobo quite a bit, but the list pretty much ends there as far as excellent Filipino dishes. That being said, the New Orleans restaurant in Pattaya has better Filipino food than anything I had in the Philippines.

I like the kinelau dish I had down in Siargao Island , pls excuse the spelling . It is raw fresh fish, onion, chili, ginger , fresh lime and tuba vinegar . It went well with San Miguel .

Clueless me . It was Edinburgh Scotland and I've never even been to Mexico .

I did visit Thailand with a Philippina partner about 12 years ago . The trip took in Ko Chang and Pattaya . She would often be mistaken for an Issan woman and in some places the serving staff , who would talk over my head to her , became pissed off that she would not answer back in Thai .

She really liked to farty .

Too much cabbage and beans in a diet will do that !! :):)

That's because they don't speak Tagalog in Cebu, only Visayan.

Really?

Let me educate you on this one. All educated Visayans (that have been to school) can speak Tagalog, especially the hotel staff. The point is they don't like speaking it. I could go into details as to why they don't, but let's leave it at that.

I think there is Cebuano language too in Cebu? At least that's what a filipino friend tells me.

I think there is Cebuano language too in Cebu? At least that's what a filipino friend tells me.

Cebuano is the common name of the language spoken there, also known as "Bisaya".

"Visaya/n" refers to the region. In actual fact the "v" is pronounced as "b" in that language so they don't really have a "v".

It's the 2nd most spoken native language in the Philippines. They weren't happy when it was passed over for Tagalog as the basis for the official national language in 1937.

When Visayans speak Tagalog they have a distinct accent which the Tagalog speakers often poke fun at. This is one of the reasons they don't like speaking Tagalog. They're treated as a lower class. They're actually shy to speak Tagalog for this reason.

When my wife speaks Tagalog she nearly always gets comments about her origin (in a derogatory fashion) from native speakers - it's actually very annoying. She used to be quite shy speaking Tagalog but I've tried to convince her to be proud of her language and to remember she speaks 2 languages whereas Tagalog natives only speak one.

An interesting story - they used to make fun of Manny Pacquiao's accent (on TV), who is a native Bisayan, speaker until he became a national hero.

Perhaps it's the same way Bangkokians and Northern dwellers in Thailand often look down on people from the Isaan region.

Edited by tropo

I came close to marrying a girl from Vigan, Ilocos Sur, she knew Ilokano plus Tagalog and English. Met in Hong Kong.

Wonder where she is now????

Very resourceful girl.

I came close to marrying a girl from Vigan, Ilocos Sur, she knew Ilokano plus Tagalog and English. Met in Hong Kong.

Very resourceful girl.

If she is resourceful, probably married to some wealthy guy by now.

I've worked with many Filipinos and found them to be a cheery, hardworking bunch. A lot of private Thai schools like hiring them as they can still charge parents more for learning with a 'foreigner' but the Filipino salaries are much lower. Not fair, but that's life.

Would certainly be happy for more Filipinos to come to Pattaya.

• Like 2

There are a number of palatable dishes but you have to work a lot harder to find them than in Thailand. Some of the fish dishes, vegetable stews, etc. Given the generally poor reputation of their food, I think its fair to say it is underrated. No, its not among the world's most wonderful, but its not as bad as its rep.

There are a number of palatable dishes but you have to work a lot harder to find them than in Thailand. Some of the fish dishes, vegetable stews, etc. Given the generally poor reputation of their food, I think its fair to say it is underrated. No, its not among the world's most wonderful, but its not as bad as its rep.

Ever tried mongos or balut ? Balut now there is a smell and taste to remember .

Very resourceful girl.

If she is resourceful, probably married to some wealthy guy by now.

I,m sure she is,,, one lucky guy he'll be.

No balut for me but there are some pretty gross Thai foods as well.

For sure. I'd have to say there's a lot more weird stuff to eat over here.

One thing which should be mentioned, there are dozens of regional cuisines very different from the typical food foreigners are familiar with.

the greatest filipino food contribution other than balut may be nata de coco....a delicacy in some countries like Japan

Ever tried mongos or balut ? Balut now there is a smell and taste to remember .

why not update wiki with your numbers?

should I believe you or should I believe wiki, you make the call....

http://en.wikipedia....agalog_language

Native speakers 23.9 million (2000 census)[1]

96% of the Philippines can speak Tagalog (2000)[2]

Tagalog is also spoken natively by inhabitants living on the islands, Marinduque, Mindoro, and large areas of Palawan. It is spoken by approximately 64.3 million Filipinos, 96.4% of the household population.[16] 21.5 million, or 28.15% of the total Philippine population,[17] speak it as a native language.

I should have spelled it out to save you the trouble of looking it up on Wikipedia, but thanks anyway.

Your article indicates that about 28.15% of the population speak Tagalog natively. This is the number I was referring to - NATIVE SPEAKERS - around 25% of the population (I gave a round figure as I thought no one would be interested in exact percentage points). The population is now close to 100 million depending on the source and your article is quoting figures from an old census. They had a new census in 2010 - I was there for it.

Definitely they are wrong about 96% percent of the population being able to speak Tagalog (2000). That is nonsense. A huge percentage of the poor population (about 40% of the total population) have had zero or very little education. That 96% figure is wishful thinking or propaganda by the government.

Where is this Bourbon Street resto please ? The one in BKK is excellent.

Regarding topic Filopinos and Russians are fine. Sure, there is always an odd one, but this is no different to any other race or nationality.

Since you won't let it go, I'll have my 2 cents too. When in the PI, I spend most of my time in the central Visayas also. If you speak Tagalog to someone on the street, they won't understand you. Go into a bank, restaurant, store and it's either Visaya or English. You may have a point with hotel clerks, but is that an accurate representation of the population in total? I think not. I know Filipinos from Luzon that can't speak a word of Visaya, so what makes you think that most Visayans speak Tagalog?

... ok, shall we continue then... and please concentrate and don't twist my words. I said all educated Visayans can speak Tagalog. The whole point of my earlier post was to explain that although they can speak it, they don't like to and choose not to... for reasons we have yet to cover...

If you think Visayans cannot understand Tagalog, you've never been there because if you had you would never have made such an absurd statement. Even my wife's illiterate (Central Visayan) parents (cannot read or write) can understand it and they never went to school for a day in their lives. They enjoy watching Tagalog on TV every day. The same goes for all the uneducated Filipinos - they all understand it. My brother in law never attended school - he understands it very well...as well as all his uneducated friends who huddle around the TV every night watching Tagalog programs - need I go on?

If the Visayan people couldn't understand your Tagalog, you better brush up on your pronunciation.

"Filipino" (based on Tagalog) is the national language and compulsory from the first year of elementary school. As I said, anyone who has been to school will speak it. The longer their education the better they will speak it - no matter where they live in the Philippines.

As I conceded yesterday that you may have a point about "educated hotel workers" speaking Tagalog, but the general population does not.

To verify my stance, I got together with a few of my Filipino friends at lunch today and slipped the question into conversation. These friends are from the Manila region, some from Laguna, one from Malate and the another from Davao. All of them stated that it is rare to hear Tagalog spoken anywhere in central / southern PI. If ever!!! Cebuano is spoken mainly on the island of Cebu, but it is a dialect of Visaya and not Taglog.

I'm not concerned. I don't run around cut 'n pasting Wikipedia articles.

The point was that approximately 25% of the population are native Tagalog speakers. It doesn't matter too much if the number is 22.3%, 28.698% or whatever... now enough already...

Edited by tropo

As I conceded yesterday that you may have a point about "educated hotel workers" speaking Tagalog, but the general population does not.

To verify my stance, I got together with a few of my Filipino friends at lunch today and slipped the question into conversation. These friends are from the Manila region, some from Laguna, one from Malate and the another from Davao. All of them stated that it is rare to hear Tagalog spoken anywhere in central / southern PI. If ever!!! Cebuano is spoken mainly on the island of Cebu, but it is a dialect of Visaya and not Taglog.

You just never stop, do you. You're so confused you're now agreeing with me.

You went to talk to your Filipino friends to find out that I was right. Well done!

Tagalog is not spoken in other areas except on official business. The point you made which is wrong was that no one in the non-Tagalog provinces understands Tagalog. Nearly all non-Tagalog speakers understand it.

Who said that Cebuano is a dialect of Tagalog? Where did you dream that up?

Cebuano is not a dialect of Bisaya, it IS one and the same. Cebuano is spoken all over the Central Visayas and in Mindanao.

The last people you should be asking about things like this is Filipinos because they rarely travel their own country and only know what is going on in their own back yard. A Filipino from one part of the country usually doesn't have a clue what is going on in another - especially when they're from Manila.

Edited by tropo

Correction: I had mentioned Bourbon Street restaurant in Pattaya. That doesn't exist here. The restaurant I meant is Cafe New Orleans.

Okay, thanks for the correction. It appears to be on Soi 13 off second road in Pattaya, but there are 4 Soi 13s. Which one please, as I will try most things once? Thanks. Some descriptions say Pattayaland 2, but this means nothing to me.

Correction: I had mentioned Bourbon Street restaurant in Pattaya. That doesn't exist here. The restaurant I meant is Cafe New Orleans.

Okay, thanks for the correction. It appears to be on Soi 13 off second road in Pattaya, but there are 4 Soi 13s. Which one please, as I will try most things once? Thanks. Some descriptions say Pattayaland 2, but this means nothing to me.

http://www.soidb.com/pattaya/restaurant/cafe-new-orleans.html

You just never stop, do you. You're so confused you're now agreeing with me.

You went to talk to your Filipino friends to find out that I was right. Well done!

Tagalog is not spoken in other areas except on official business. The point you made which is wrong was that no one in the non-Tagalog provinces understands Tagalog. Nearly all non-Tagalog speakers understand it.

Who said that Cebuano is a dialect of Tagalog? Where did you dream that up?

Cebuano is not a dialect of Bisaya, it IS one and the same. Cebuano is spoken all over the Central Visayas and in Mindanao.

The last people you should be asking about things like this is Filipinos because they rarely travel their own country and only know what is going on in their own back yard. A Filipino from one part of the country usually doesn't have a clue what is going on in another - especially when they're from Manila.

Has no one ever told you to stop digging when you are in over your head.

You don't even know how to spell Visaya, much less where it is spoken in the PI.

I'm done with you.

Worst food I have ever eaten in Pattaya. Having lived in New Orleans for a number of years, I was most disappointed with the crap they served at the New Orleans Cafe calling it Cajun food.

maybe if you checked wiki occasionally before you posted, you would get your facts straight for a change.

I'm not concerned. I don't run around cut 'n pasting Wikipedia articles.

The point was that approximately 25% of the population are native Tagalog speakers. It doesn't matter too much if the number is 22.3%, 28.698% or whatever... now enough already...

Edited by tailspin

Worst food I have ever eaten in Pattaya. Having lived in New Orleans for a number of years, I was most disappointed with the crap they served at the New Orleans Cafe calling it Cajun food.

I was talking here about their Pinoy menu. They used to have both an a la carte daily one and a weekend all you can eat offer for that, but not sure about these days. I wasn't recommending their regular menu.