Business Visa Multi Entry

I just obtained a 3 month single entry visa, although I applied for a 12 month multi entry. I am hoping someone on this forum may have recent experience with Business visas longer than three months? I did have a letter from a very reputable Myanmar Company supporting my application. As I'll be there every couple of weeks for the foreseeable future, it seems like I'll fill up my passport very quickly with their full page stamps pretty soon unless they grant me a longer term multi entry visa. No big deal I guess, just inconvenient.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

An update for those that are interested.

Today I got a six month multiple entry business visa. Cost was 7,200THB. The Officer told me you have to have obtained at least two 3 month single entry visas previously.

I'll try for 12 months next time. I hope this is of some help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 12 month multiple entry visa and one years stay permit. You qualify for it if you invest money in Myanmar, or you work for a Company here. You need a letter from the relevant Ministry which you present to the Immigration office in Yangon along with clearance from the Police's Special Branch. The only way you'll get one as a visitor is if the people at the Embassy get to know you, it's issued at their discretion (after you've qualified for a 6 month visa a few times is the norm as far as I can make out).

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I received a 1 year Multiple Entry Business Visa for Myanmar at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok and paid a total of THB 10,000 (approx. USD $330) + THB 675 for same day service. This sounds a bit high to me. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Yesterday, I received a 1 year Multiple Entry Business Visa for Myanmar at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok and paid a total of THB 10,000 (approx. USD $330) + THB 675 for same day service. This sounds a bit high to me. Does anyone have a similar experience?

It costs US$180 here in Myanmar.

Do they know you? Is there a special reason why they would give you a 1 year visa?

They know me in general, but the guy who quoted me that amount and handled my paperwork does not know me. I have an invitation letter requesting a one year multiple entry and all other needed documents. I cannot imagine how there could be such a huge price difference other than a rip off. Any thoughts? I will follow up.

They know me in general, but the guy who quoted me that amount and handled my paperwork does not know me. I have an invitation letter requesting a one year multiple entry and all other needed documents. I cannot imagine how there could be such a huge price difference other than a rip off. Any thoughts? I will follow up.

Have you previously had any type of Business Visa?

When I obtained a 3 month single entry Business Visa for my wife a couple of weeks they advised us the next one will be 6 month Multi Entry like I currently have and thereafter they will issue next 12 month multi entry. In my case it seems to be a 3 step process.

Edit: A colleague was quoted USD$300 for 12 month multi entry in Hong Kong, so 10,000THB seems about right. My 6 month was 7,200THB as mentioned in an earlier post.

Edited by Woodsie888

I have a 12 month multiple entry visa and one years stay permit. You qualify for it if you invest money in Myanmar, or you work for a Company here. You need a letter from the relevant Ministry which you present to the Immigration office in Yangon along with clearance from the Police's Special Branch. The only way you'll get one as a visitor is if the people at the Embassy get to know you, it's issued at their discretion (after you've qualified for a 6 month visa a few times is the norm as far as I can make out).

".........if you invest money in Myanmar". Any specified minimum amount or will 100 Dollars do the trick ?

• 1 year later...

It costs US$180 here in Myanmar.

Can you apply for and receive a Myanmar Visa whilst in Myanmar?

Can you apply for and receive a Myanmar Visa whilst in Myanmar?

Yes under certain circumstances.

In my own case, I worked for an MICB approved foreign company, but we operated under a Ministry JV.

So the Ministry would supply my company all of the necessary support documents and I was issued a new 12 month MJSRV business visa and stay permit every year in country.

It really depends on your situation, but it is certainly doable.

• Like 1

Edit: A colleague was quoted USD$300 for 12 month multi entry in Hong Kong, so 10,000THB seems about right. My 6 month was 7,200THB as mentioned in an earlier post.

Other sources on the web state 180 USD as the cost of a Multiple Journey Entry Visa or a Multiple Journey Special Re-entry Visa. e.g.:

http://www.myanmartourtravels.com.cp-26.webhostbox.net/Myanmar-Visa.htm

http://www.myanmarvisaonline.com/faq.html

So 10k THB does not seem "about right".

So to obtain the visa for 180 USD would I have to enter Myanmar first (on some other visa, e.g. tourist or single entry business), or can it be obtained for that price somehow whilst in Thailand?

Edited by hyperdimension

Other sources on the web state 180 USD as the cost of a Multiple Journey Entry Visa or a Multiple Journey Special Re-entry Visa. e.g.:

http://www.myanmartourtravels.com.cp-26.webhostbox.net/Myanmar-Visa.htm

http://www.myanmarvisaonline.com/faq.html

So 10k THB does not seem "about right".

So to obtain the visa for 180 USD would I have to enter Myanmar first (on some other visa, e.g. tourist or single entry business), or can it be obtained for that price somehow whilst in Thailand?

I applied for a 12 month visa yesterday and collect it tomorrow.

Cost was 10,000 THB and the 6 month visa is still 7,200 THB.

My two previous 6 month multi visa's cost 7,200 THB each.

Business multi entry in all cases, not tourist.

It seems there are quite a few disparities between various countries then according to your experience.

I don't use visa service companies myself. I prefer to deal directly with the Embassy.

I don't use visa service companies either, but I wouldn't want to have to pay 10k THB when the same thing can be obtained for 180 USD, so I'd like to know the ways in which it can be obtained at the better price if possible in Bangkok.

The short answer is you can't, you'll have to pay the Embassy in Bangkok the charges they state.

The US$180 is the fee paid by foreigners here at the immigration office in Pansoedan Road. These foreigners will have a letter from the (relevant) Ministry when they apply. The Ministry will not be writing a letter to support their application unless they're involved in the process of establishing a business here, or already have one. For the record, they will also (in all likelihood, but not necessarily) be paying US$90 for the Stay Permit.

If you're a "travelling" businessman you're going to have to pay the Embassy charges. If your Company opens up an office (business) here through the official route, then you also will be eligible to get such a letter and pay the US$180.

• Like 2

Thank you DagonKhan for the clarification.

I have a contact in Myanmar who is a partner in a company there, so would I be able to get the 180 USD visa in Yangon through him instead of having to get the 10k THB visa in Bangkok?

Theoretically, yes.

The way it would work is you would enter on your current visa. He would then write a letter to the relevant Ministry and inform them that you'll be living and working here, paying taxes etc. It differs slightly from Ministry to Ministry but he will probably have to submit paperwork to support your new employment (i.e. copy of MIC proposal where it outlines foreign personnel requirements etc) in his Company, as well as him providing copies of his Permit to Trade, Company registration, etc etc. He may well be asked to provide written assurances regarding the payment of tax, that would be personal income tax and/or with holding tax on your behalf. I for example have to show tax clearance documents from the Ministry of Revenue each year to prove I've paid tax, others I know don't have to (although it's increasingly looking like they're introducing this across the board). It really depends on the relevant Ministry as to how easy/difficult they can be and what they require foreigners to do, it really does vary.

If, however, you're not going to be working here then you're not going to want to put him through all of that to save a few dollars. If you're just going to be flying in (say once a month for a few days) to conduct business then you're better off doing what you already do. If it's the case that you're scoping the country out with the possibility of investing, then go and talk to the MIC and ask them for a supporting letter. They may not give you a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you 6 months. That you could do here yourself without any involvement from your friend.

Also, it's not just a case of US$180, there's also the US$90 for a stay permit, so it's actually US$270 (approx. THB8,500?). It would be a bit strange if you went through all of the above and then didn't apply for a Stay permit! You'll also need a FRC at some stage if you live here, I forget the initial cost, renewal each year is US$10 or thereabouts.

• Like 1

OK thanks again DagonKahn. So the difference between the 180 USD visa from Myanmar and the 10k THB visa from Bangkok is that the 180 USD visa is for living and working in Myanmar which would also require a Stay Permit and FRC.

If all I want to do is travel into and out of Myanmar frequently, without needing to obtain a new visa each time, then the 10k THB multiple entry visa from Bangkok would be better to get - it costs a bit more but requires much less time and effort overall.

If all I want to do is travel into and out of Myanmar frequently, without needing to obtain a new visa each time, then the 10k THB multiple entry visa from Bangkok would be better to get - it costs a bit more but requires much less time and effort overall.

Yes, totally agree with all of that, especially the "time and effort" part!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1