Are Women The Strength Of Thailand?

sirineou

to just only mention women the strength of thailand would be rather stretched imo. strength of a country are a combination of many factors, location, resources, politics, industries and etc, everything could be a strength of a country. as well as a burden.

from the way i see it, its not a strength but rather a weakness in a country

Of course you are right, Thailand is a wonderful country and has many strengths.

I was just impressed by it's women, and wanted to talk about that.

If I understood right, you think the women might be a weakness.

interesting take,

obviously I think differently, but you might be right,

could you care to expand why you think so?

im looking at a bigger picture. not referring to women as a weakness but rather the given scenario of women working harder than male, as well as sex workers. women working harder than males are all fine but with men lazing around seems really twisted to me. I dont really wish to dig into the meat industries, I don't even know how to put it in words. If its just plainly based on revenue generated that drive the tourism industry, the women just really pawns. Must really take hats off to those pulling the strings in that sense

im no expert but just a regular person, i could be wrong. my opinion changes all day so yeah

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure you can google all this stuff but Dr Wandee Khunchornyakong was the founder and CEO of her company for 30 years I believe. And I believe Yingluck got there because of her brother not her father.

I do have one famous daughter. I sent her to the right schools and wouldn't let her play when she wanted to or be a cheerleader. It was obvious at a young age that she was going places. So in that respect I guess I am responsible for her success. But she does not see it that way.

I take your word for it, but it's been narrowed down to one woman out of a population of 66 million it's hardly women running a country. The sad truth is men get positions ahead of women in this country unless the women build the company themselves or it's passed on from parents to daughter.

Thankfully it does seem to be changing. Like you say most dentists seem to be women these days and there seems to be an ever increasing number of female doctors, but the country has a long way to go until there is equality in business here. Maybe it's the kids getting educated abroad and being exposed to better equality that is slowly helping to change the dinosaur attitute of some here.

Oh and can we ask who your famous daughter is ?

Arthur,

In my experience one sees what one looks for. I see many successful women because I appreciate and support strong, free minded women. If you are looking for the meek little flowers who you have to support and you don't even speak the language that is what you will find.

I only mentioned women you could google because I don't think you have the on the ground in Thailand experience to appreciate the many other successful women here.

Post the name of a family member on Thai Visa? You really think I'm some kind of nut?

Edited by kerryk

Arthur,

In my experience one sees what one looks for. I see many successful women because I appreciate and support strong, free minded women. If you are looking for the meek little flowers who you have to support and you don't even speak the language that is what you will find.

I only mentioned women you could google because I don't think you have the on the ground in Thailand experience to appreciate the many other successful women here.

Post the name of a family member on Thai Visa? You really think I'm some kind of nut?

What are you on about now ?

Yet again you are making presumptions about people to suit your argument that have nothing to do with the post.

My wife has a degree and a masters from the UK and runs her family businesses and her own.

Yours ?

I've been with my wife over 11 years. Enough for you ? I suppose as it's not in Pattaya where all the succesful Thai people hang out so it doesn't count.

My wife has a degree and a masters from the UK and runs her family businesses and her own.

I've been with my wife over 11 years. Enough for you ? I suppose as it's not in Pattaya where all the succesful Thai people hang out so it doesn't count.

Just to point out my previous wife had a degree, we were married 25+ years, and she still cheated me in love and in money.

As the financial institutions like to state, 'previous performance is no indication of future performance". It seems to work that way with women too.

A womans educational level and geographical place of work are really not an indication of her character.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

to just only mention women the strength of thailand would be rather stretched imo. strength of a country are a combination of many factors, location, resources, politics, industries and etc, everything could be a strength of a country. as well as a burden.

from the way i see it, its not a strength but rather a weakness in a country

Of course you are right, Thailand is a wonderful country and has many strengths.

I was just impressed by it's women, and wanted to talk about that.

If I understood right, you think the women might be a weakness.

interesting take,

obviously I think differently, but you might be right,

could you care to expand why you think so?

I just can figure out why they are so attracted to older Western men.

Just to point out my previous wife had a degree, we were married 25+ years, and she still cheated me in love and in money.

As the financial institutions like to state, 'previous performance is no indication of future performance". It seems to work that way with women too.

A womans educational level and geographical place of work are really not an indication of her character.

I'm lost on this to.

What has this got to do with whether my wife is a 'meek little flower who I support' ? I don't.

And what has whether you wife has cheated on you or not got to do with me or my post ?

What has this got to do with whether my wife is a 'meek little flower who I support' ? I don't.

And what has whether you wife has cheated on you or not got to do with me or my post ?

You were implying (in post 94), to Kerry, that as your wife wasn't a prostitute from Pattaya, and is an educated woman, you were safe. Both Kerry and I have had a bit more experience with life (all over the world), and our experience tells us different.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You were implying (in post 94), to Kerry, that as your wife wasn't a prostitute from Pattaya, and is an educated woman, you were safe. Both Kerry and I have had a bit more experience with life (all over the world), and our experience tells us different.

Was I ? I was stating facts about my wife when KerryK was making up his own.

Safe ? Safe from what? Where does that appear in my post ? My saying how long I have been with my wife was in reply to Kerry assuming how long I've known Thai people.

How do you know what experience I have or don't have ?

But even if I was saying what you think I still don't see what that has to do with whether your wife has cheated on you unless both you and Kerry are trolling.

Nor are her decision to engage in good honest sex work as a quick path out of poverty. Not all of them are lying scammers, in fact many IMO are much more honest than most "nice girls" here or back home.

How do you know you have had more experience with life than other posters ? Do you really believe just because you may be older and stayed here a few more years that you know more than others ?

Age does not equal intelligence.

Back on topic I would have to say the women that work at our company do seem more motivated to improve themselves, the company provides free English lessons and other courses, the majority of the men start and then give up.

Arthur,

Yet again you are making presumptions about people to suit your argument that have nothing to do with the post.

Yours ?

Arthur I think we are in agreement. Women are the strength of Thailand as evidenced by the women I know and your wife also fits that criteria. Oh and Arthur, I don't live in Pattaya. 90% of the executives I know in business in Thailand are women. Small to medium sized businesses are the backbone of the Thai economy.

On a personal note being married for 11 years sounds to me like you don't live in Thailand. But congratulations anyway that is a really long time to be married.

Edited by kerryk

Arthur,

Yours ?

Arthur I think we are in agreement. Women are the strength of Thailand as evidenced by the women I know and your wife also fits that criteria. Oh and Arthur, I don't live in Pattaya. 90% of the executives I know in business in Thailand are women. Small to medium sized businesses are the backbone of the Thai economy.

On a personal note being married for 11 years sounds to me like you don't live in Thailand. But congratulations anyway that is a really long time to be married.

i will write that off as hyperbole. in academics, especially what they still like to call Humanities here maybe you would have a shot, but still unlikely. Lower middle managers maybe. but not 90% of executives.

Medicine seems to have its fair share, especially Pharmacists, dentists, but again 90%.?

My wife is a farmer and laborers are hard to find out here in the boonies. She and five other ladies have a sort of co-op. They all share the work on each other's farms. When a male worker is found, that worker has to keep up with the co-op ladies or he quickly loses his job.

I think Thai boys are spoiled from birth. My wife has a nephew who is now about 17 years old. You will NEVER find a lazier boy than this one. He rides around on his new motorbike that his father bought him. I have never seen him do any work at all. When I mention that fact to my wife, she just shrugs her shoulders.

I would agree with you and expand your language from Thai boys to Asian boys as I discovered years ago when I first visited a Japanese airport and watched young Japanese boy toddlers run amok. But apparently this works as the Asian economies are taking over current world business. I keep trying to figure out a way to get my Thai GF to treat me financially like her brother. He sits home and drinks whiskey and listens to jazz and she sends him money. Me she tells to take out the trash and pick up after myself.

he still thinks thats her brother ...cheesy.gif

Arthur,

Yours ?

i will write that off as hyperbole. in academics, especially what they still like to call Humanities here maybe you would have a shot, but still unlikely. Lower middle managers maybe. but not 90% of executives.

Medicine seems to have its fair share, especially Pharmacists, dentists, but again 90%.?

Well I did say "I know" and quite perceptive of you as I am in the health care and academic business. However my new GF is in the steel business. Top executives are men and then there is the tier of lady supervisors who ,seem to me, to actually do everything and they are women. The men of course have to sign everything. I was also in the Steel business in the West and that tier of women did not exist there, it was all guys. So I find Thailand unusual in that respect. It feels to me like women have more power in Thailand both at home and at work. Do you ever see those small comic books (the name of the genre escapes me now) where the big Thai ladies are punching the small Thai men? Very common in almost every small Thai convenience store. Very telling about the Thai psyche. Someone who actually knows something about it should tell us what they mean.

I think the common truth showing here is that although in many cases men are publicly in charge, it's mostly the women who mostly get stuff done and keep everything together here, and in the lower spheres women are often explicitly in charge as well, both in business and in the home.

The fact that the women are more ambitious and diligent in domains where education is an advantage tells me that Thailand will become more and more a matriarchy, especially to the extent that global competitive forces cause its economy to function more on a merit-reward basis rather than the old-boy network of connections.

All of which is a very positive trend IMO.

I realize most of our readers know little about Thailand but the attached photo is a common theme in Thai comic books.

I don't think it represents a male dominant theme.

thumbsup.gif

I like the imbalance here . I always notice at any social function with Thais that the women spend all day preparing and making food and waiting on the men who just sit around drinking , smoking , talking . They women don't complain and they seem happy enough. Don't rock the boat . We're onto a good thing here. Many times up country when I lived there I would go to a wedding with my wife in the morning . I don't even see her until we go home because the men and women do their own thing . Men are men and women are women . I sit around getting waited on and getting pissed . I think it's great and I get to catch up with all of my male inlaws. Went to a wedding in Yasathon last weekend and I've got another one in Buriram next month. Can't wait.

Just call me the ' Wedding Crasher ' !!!

And personally I dont think that it is too much to ask men to be faithful, when they enter a marital relationship man make certain promises, and based on these promises the woman makes a decision to either marry that man or to not. To renege on these promises I don’t think is very admirable, to say the least.

Basic error here old boy, different wedding vows in Thailand, not Christian based.

Thai wedding vow, he vows to protect, she vows to serve.

That's it, no vows about fidelity or loyalty AT ALL.

The womans PARENTS make a decision for her to marry that Thai man or not, often based on the purchase price he offered them. The mans PARENTS also get power of veto on the marriage.

What 'certain promises' did you think Thai people make when they get married then??

(PS: Have you ever been to Thailand?, or spoken to Thai people?)

Have being maried to a wonderfull Thai lady for over 3 years,and have dated for same length of time,and living part of the year in KKC

.while here I have never spoken to a "farang" for longer than 10 minutes, I associate with Thais exclusively.

Did not have a budhist wedding yet.Not sure I will ever do.

Most of the people I know , entered in to marage through a relationship, and not theough parental erangements.You might have purchased you wife, I asure you I did not mine.nor do I know any one that has. That might have being the case a long time ago, but I dont think is the case now.

you got a lot to learn greenhopper !

Seriously though , from what I have seen from places and people that I know well is that ' normal ' people , i.e.95% of Thais they probably work just as hard as each other , although sometimes in different ways. We'll never know what goes on behind close doors but if all Thai men were that bad then surely no one would be with them , but the fact is that the vast majority of Thai women are married to Thai men and believe it or not they do actually like Thai men ! because they are Thai women. It's been programmed into them since birth that they are the greatest nation on the planet so why settle for anything less ?

Apparently Russian women don't know how to get rich men. I don't know why but a trip to Pattaya will confirm this, in case you are wondering. I watched a documentary on one of the schools in Russia teaching ladies how to find a rich husband and they were actually teaching Russian women how to act like a Thai female.

For those of us who live in Thailand I think it is obvious that Thai women are taught that Thailand is a great country but they are not really convinced that applies to all Thai men. The enclosed comic cover is of a Thai couple and a common Thai theme.

The difference between Thai and Japanese on this issue is striking. The dominant female is a common theme in Thai literature but rare in Japanese. Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this is the same with Japanese culture at all.

Please note in case you missed it that the attachment is not a Farang and a Thai but a Thai man and woman from a Thai comic book.

post-20120-0-61275300-1337390547_thumb.j

I think they've got their priorities straight, no one ever lay on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office.

Nifty motivational poster aside, there are PLENTY of folks who lay on their deathbeds wishing they had done more for their children, their spouses, and their families. These are the guys who are dying while knowing full well that their children's or grandchildren's college fund is vastly underfunded (if it even exists), that there is X left to pay on a mortgage and that they are the sole breadwinners so that probably won't end well, those who know they shouldn't have let their health and or life insurance policies lapse X years ago, etc.

As I said balance. Personally I don't take on tertiary education as a parent's responsibility, unless I have enough at the time and the kid's very highly motivated - in fact passionate and focused - to learn a very specific topic domain.

Would never borrow money to own a home.

Insurance is as basic as the utility bills, but again only what's needed.

SO needs to have the capacity to be self-sufficient even when living with me, same with the kids once past 14-15.

Finally, your comment assumes there's a tight connection between the work input and the financial results. Few people actually focus on the latter, they just follow the social more "work hard and you'll be alright" even though most of know it's a total lie.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Not giving any further opinion on the "domination/exploitation" issue, but hardly think comic books have as much to say about current reality as collective unconscious dreaming/reaction etc.

What does collective unconscious dreaming/reaction etc have to say about the domination/exploitation issue?