Honda Pcx 125

Jaochoo

Honda PCX 125 servicing question

According to my owner’s manual the oil drain bolt should be tightened using a torque wrench following an oil change. The wording (as shown below) would suggest that this is very important;

“Changing the oil requires a torque wrench. If you do not have it and the necessary skill, we recommend that you have your Honda dealer perform this service.

If a torque wrench is not used for this installation, see your Honda dealer as soon as possible to verify proper assembly.

Oil drain bolt torque: 24 N-m (2.4 kgf-m, 18 lbf-ft)”

When my bike was recently serviced (I use that word very loosely!) at the Honda main dealer I showed them the above information in the Thai version of the owner’s manual and asked them if this had been done. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a definite answer to my question and was just assured “All service done”. Judging by their puzzled expression when reading the information I had supplied, I seriously doubt that a torque wrench was used.

What I would like to know from someone experienced in these matters is, do I need to have this checked/adjusted (assuming I can find a dealer with a torque wrench!!) or, providing there is no sign of any oil leaks, is it okay to just leave/ignore?

As the bike is new I wanted to address this issue as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of any lasting damage.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

While it is not unknown for bikes to leave the dealer with loose drain plugswhistling.gif This is more from absentmindedness than the incorrect torque.

I would wager there is no commercial mechanic that uses a torque wrench on a motorcycle oil drain plug. Honda puts that there to cover there proverbial. That being said there are mechanics out there than seemingly learned their trade working on busesohmy.png and over tighten everything.

Yes you should check when you get home because they do forget. So how? Well 18 ft lbs means 18 pounds applied at a distance of 1 foot so if the wrench in the tool kit is 6 inches long you need to apply 36 pounds. In other words tight by hand but not overly so.

Yes and no, if the mechanic knows what he is doing, he will know the right torque by fell and will get it right +- 10% which is good enough.

When you take a bike for service in Thailand they will not follow the correct procedures for say a 4000 km check but only do the oil/filter change.

When I did a I think a 12000 km service/ check on the Fino the mechanic came over and showed me the airfilter and spark plug and I told him to change them as its part of the 12000 km service, but maybe Thais will not do it if they think they can get another 5000 km out of them before changing them.

Many thanks for the prompt replies. For peace of mind I will now check the oil drain bolt myself and tighten as suggested.

With regard to servicing, I have already been warned by several neighbours that the official maintenance schedule will be completely ignored by the Honda dealer and the same basic service (oil change and a quick check of the lights and horn) will be performed each and every time I visit regardless of the kilometres covered.

I have also been advised by a friend to continue taking my bike to the main Honda dealer for service at the appropriate time and insist they stamp the relevant page in my service booklet to confirm that the service has been carried out. This may seem ridiculous in view of the above comments but, I understand this will cover me in the event of any warranty claims with Honda.

I have a horrible feeling that I will end up buying not only a torque wrench but probably a complete tool kit just to ensure everything is correctly maintained!!!!!

Yes its a good idea to go to a main dealer and get your book stamped on each service. I do that on our Fino and when we replace it with a new PCX very soon I can use that to prove to interested buyers when selling it (service history) that I taken good care of it.

I don't know why they will not or can't follow the correct procedures when doing the services on bikes, I know when my Honda car is in for service at the dealer ship they really do a service and check properly for damage/defects but okay a car is far more complex than a little Thai bike so the mechanics are proper trained.

I would not worry too much about it if I was you as long as the oil/filter are changed and brake pads/fluid checked/changed you should be fine but that said when I had the Fino in for the 12k service I asked about the lifespan on the brake fluid for the front disk brake. The mechanic said max 2 years, I said okay please change it as it is 3 years old now! I had to buy a whole bottle and they used maybe 1/4. I asked why they didn't have an open bottle and they answered that they only change brake fluid on customers request and Thais never asked!!

Yes its a good idea to go to a main dealer and get your book stamped on each service. I do that on our Fino and when we replace it with a new PCX very soon I can use that to prove to interested buyers when selling it (service history) that I taken good care of it.

I don't know why they will not or can't follow the correct procedures when doing the services on bikes, I know when my Honda car is in for service at the dealer ship they really do a service and check properly for damage/defects but okay a car is far more complex than a little Thai bike so the mechanics are proper trained.

I would not worry too much about it if I was you as long as the oil/filter are changed and brake pads/fluid checked/changed you should be fine but that said when I had the Fino in for the 12k service I asked about the lifespan on the brake fluid for the front disk brake. The mechanic said max 2 years, I said okay please change it as it is 3 years old now! I had to buy a whole bottle and they used maybe 1/4. I asked why they didn't have an open bottle and they answered that they only change brake fluid on customers request and Thais never asked!!

Thanks for your continued input and apologies for the delay in responding – internet has been down due to severe storms.

I agree, having the service history correctly recorded in the service booklet is always a big plus when selling a bike............just hope any prospective buyers don’t read this or similar posts regarding the quality of service!!

Interesting to note your experiences when having a car serviced at a Honda dealership and this makes the motorbike situation all the more bizarre.

I was under the impression that to become a Honda main dealer the business has to be run in accordance with Honda’s guidelines, especially the service department. The fact that bikes are clearly not being serviced in accordance with Honda’s maintenance schedule is not very encouraging and suggests the need for better training and/or closer monitoring of the dealerships by Honda.

Incidentally, having discussed the servicing issues with other bike owners (various makes not just Honda) it would appear that we all have one thing in common, namely, we all receive the same basic service comprising of an oil change, a check of the lights and a toot of the horn regardless of the age of the bike or kilometres covered. Also, the official manufacturer’s maintenance schedules were consistently ignored in every case!

When I discussed the above with my wife (Thai) and several of her Thai friends they were not surprised by the somewhat basic servicing being carried out by the dealers as most Thais consider servicing to be an unnecessary expense and want to pay the absolute minimum. In fact, they went on to say that many Thais will never have their bike or car serviced and only take their vehicle to a dealer when there is something wrong with it........ I think (hope) they were joking!

Meanwhile, I will continue having my bike serviced at the main dealer (for warranty reasons and to record service history for re-selling at a later date) but, in future I will be taking a more active interest in what is and isn’t done during the service!

I note that you are planning on buying a new PCX in the near future and I’m sure you will be delighted with your purchase..........I certainly am!

Good luck.

Edited by Jaochoo

Not sure what happened to the layout in my above reply - it didn't look like that when I sent it!

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks

Managed to correct things myself so please ignore!

Incidentally, having discussed the servicing issues with other bike owners (various makes not just Honda) it would appear that we all have one thing in common, namely, we all receive the same basic service comprising of an oil change, a check of the lights and a toot of the horn regardless of the age of the bike or kilometres covered. Also, the official manufacturer’s maintenance schedules were consistently ignored in every case!

When I discussed the above with my wife (Thai) and several of her Thai friends they were not surprised by the somewhat basic servicing being carried out by the dealers as most Thais consider servicing to be an unnecessary expense and want to pay the absolute minimum. In fact, they went on to say that many Thais will never have their bike or car serviced and only take their vehicle to a dealer when there is something wrong with it........ I think (hope) they were joking!

Good luck.

thats quite typical i would guess from the amount of scrapheaps on thai roads

i remember telling a young guy in the office he should change the oil (it was black) on a 2nd hand honda he just bought from someone and he said "why,whats wrong with it " ? tongue.png

Edited by wana