The Mrs Is Pregnant.

This may be a stupid question,

As previously posted my mrs is pregnant.

She has been over in the UK for 6 months, then we applied for the 2 year visa got that. That runs out Nov 2007.

We are married and weve just found out shes pregnant. Can we claim for child benefits or will it affect the final visa for her to stay in the UK in after Nov 2007.

I am sure i have read we cant claim for child benefits somewhere but cant find it.

Does anyone living in the uk with a thai wife and family have any experience of this or maybe scouser can shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

She cannot claim Child Benefit until she has her ILR.......but you can! Any such claim by you will not effect her ILR in any way. You can also claim Working Tax Credit.

Help Claiming Child Benefit

The Tax Credits page is unfortunately down at the moment, but it does give details of how to contact them.

I have recently applied and got Child benefit for our new baby with no questions asked or any problems.just apply in your name as stated above.

Good luck.

martin

She cannot claim Child Benefit until she has her ILR.......but you can! Any such claim by you will not effect her ILR in any way. You can also claim Working Tax Credit.

Help Claiming Child Benefit

The Tax Credits page is unfortunately down at the moment, but it does give details of how to contact them.

I have recently applied and got Child benefit for our new baby with no questions asked or any problems.just apply in your name as stated above.

Good luck.

martin

Hi

Seem to recall my wifes visa said No right of recourse to public funds, or words to that effect.

However that should not affect your rights as previously mentioned.

Good Luck Dad!

TBWG

Not only can you apply for child benefit and get it sorted online from wherever you are, you can also get it even if you spend a large chunk of each year abroad. The government then send you a 250 GBP cheque (in baby's name) to get him/her started in a Child Trust Fund of your choice.

Also, if you are married but she doesn't yet have citizenship, you still may be able to swing it so you get both the baby AND her registered with your local GP under the NHS.

Best of luck.

Also, if you are married but she doesn't yet have citizenship, you still may be able to swing it so you get both the baby AND her registered with your local GP under the NHS.
She does not need to wait for citizenship, or even ILR, to get NHS treatment. Being in the UK with a settlement visa is enough!

The baby will, of course, automatically be a British citizen, but, BS, it would be a good idea to register the birth at the RTE so that the child will have Thai citizenship as well.

BTW, I forget to say..........

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :o

Edited by GU22

Sorry, confused myself then. I meant to say that even if your wife is on a NON-settlement visa, you can still possibly swing it so that her and the baby are registered with your GP in UK. Granted, there won't be many wives not using a settlement visa unless, like me, you split your year between Thailand and England.

:o

Many congrats to you and your Mrs.

I myself have a 7 week old daughter, you won't have any probs.

When you get your baby's birth certificate (Which most hospitals have a registrar on the maturnity wards) you will be given a pact with the birth certificate.

In this pact is the info needed for you to claim family allowance ant tax credit

(as your wife will have a no recourse to public funds stamp on her visa).

If it is not included apply on line but you will have to send off the birth certificate as evidence of entitlement to these funds.

Dont forget to get a full birth certificate (£3.50p) for your child to apply for a passport you will be given a short birth certificate for free.

I shall in time apply for a Thai birth certificate at the London embassy.

Again my best `wishes to you both hope all goes well.

Janner

Congratulations Spuds.

However I am a little jealous that you can get Child Benefit as I can't because I live in Thailand.

Another little anomaly of the kind and generous British government who give away taxpayers money to anybody who asks for it, provided that they are not British and are illegal and have never paid a penny into the social funds.

However if you have paid contributions all your working life, you get a pitiful allowance from the government, most of which is siphoned off by the local authorities as local government tax which goes up around 10% or more a year against your 2 or 3%.

No wonder I live in Thailand.

small rant over.

Best of luck to both of you.

Congrats Spuds & Mrs Spuds,

Your wife will have to get nat insurance number before she can get child benifit go to DHSS and arrange an interview, they will tell you what forms to take, baby will even get the £250 grant to invest.

He'll be getting the child benefit for the first year or so, so I don't see the immediate rush. However, if she hasn't got a number, it would be good to get the pointless interview long before the baby is born. If the DSS is as awkward as it was 5 or 6 years ago, it may be worth trying to get an interview on the basis of her actively seeking work. It seems crazy to delay the interview until it has to be juggled with work or one has to negotiate the DSS office with a pram. Incidentally, the DSS don't have Thai interpreters on tap, though they do (or did) have Somali and Albanian interpreters available.

Congrats Spuds & Mrs Spuds,

Your wife will have to get nat insurance number before she can get child benifit go to DHSS and arrange an interview, they will tell you what forms to take, baby will even get the £250 grant to invest.

She cannot claim child benefit until she has ILR! It is Big Spuds himself who can claim it now.

However, she can be included in a claim for tax credits, and for this she will need a NI number. Unfortunately, due to concerns over identity crime etc., this is no longer a matter of simply filling in a form. She will need to be interviewed and confirm her identity and her immigration status. It's a bit long winded, but very simple and straightforward. Big Spuds can accompany her to translate or explain things she doesn't understand.

yeah...congrats mr & mrs. tater, the missus is expecting in may and we are going through similar sorts now, but she has working in the uk for 18 months, we have a n.i appointment next week, she's looking forward to getting her mitts on some government cash :o so am i........ :D