Science Minister Plodprasop: Thailand Floods Caused By Inefficient Water Management

webfact

The Minister has expressed confidence that the dam will not produce any impact on the environment.laugh.png

This comment is surely intended for domestic consumption. How any educated person can utter such a statement with a straight face is beyond me.

Cutting down one tree, flooding one rai, building one road, all these things have an impact on the environment.

What he might have said if he was being really honest was " We intend to build this dam, there's lots of money to be made and frankly I don't give a shit about the environment". Thank you.whistling.gif

Phut shit in the Government shit will come out of the Government, simple.

Flabberghasted!

There was I thinking that it was all a natural phenomenon, that it never rains on the plain and that the FROC were the new saviours of the universe.

I think most of us agree that it was all a perfect storm. Dams not at the right level, excessive rain in key areas, poor management, poor implementation of infrastructure over the years, no strategic planning of construction, deforestation, Yingluck's Burberry boots, a blue whale, several green mambas, escaped crocodiles, slum dwellers in the klongs, and that bloddy idiot plodprasop.

Anything makes you think things will change???

Ordering my sandbags now

"inefficient water resources management"

Such an astonishing revelation and scientific achievement surely merits a nomination towards a Nobel Prize in science.

I nominate thee. Neils Bohr, Stephen Hawkings, Daw Su, Albert; please step aside

The Minister has expressed confidence that the dam will not produce any impact on the environment.laugh.png

This comment is surely intended for domestic consumption. How any educated person can utter such a statement with a straight face is beyond me.

Cutting down one tree, flooding one rai, building one road, all these things have an impact on the environment.

What he might have said if he was being really honest was " We intend to build this dam, there's lots of money to be made and frankly I don't give a shit about the environment". Thank you.whistling.gif

"This comment is surely intended for domestic consumption. How any educated person can utter such a statement with a straight face is beyond me. "

Please, pleeeaase don't feed....... as most Thais might actually try to physically eat comments! ermm.gif

-mel. wink.png

Mind you, there's an idea? giggle.gif ... write "ice-cube" on pieces of paper, and sell them for consumption.

Rice?

Tom yum soup paper... hot and spicy paper with additional flavours... blink.png

Na! Let's not go there, it might work... cheesy.gif

-mel

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to sell Scrolls of Youth and Tomes of Erection soon...

• Like 1

Such an obvious top down break down...

Factories should never have been built in a flood zone - instead built in the hinterlands to increase the worth of the general populace.

Water diversion projects were needed 50 years ago.

One season there are floods and one season is drought - water storage is the obvious answer, but no one works to a comprehensive plan of water usage.

Until the Thai Government decides to wok together, the problem will remain.

Another excellent reason to not live in Bangok.

• Like 1

"The Minister has expressed confidence that the dam will not produce any impact on the environment."

Anyone who disagrees is a stupid commoner. To think that just because a dam is built in the middle of a national park, that there would be any environmental impact is foolish.

The people elected this guy so he must know what he's talking about. We can trust him in this matter.

Now there may be some difficult paperwork in building a dam in that location, so the best thing to do would be transfer ownership of the land from the park authorities to a private individual who will then sell it to the government for dam construction. Of course a small commission should be awarded for their trouble.

Okay, we can close the thread, daninthai has completely covered the subject, answering all questions to my full and complete satifaction.

The flood situation in the country was exacerbated by a lack of efficient management, period!

As for the Mae Wong Dam: the seemingly total disregard by this government of the advice given to it, the refusal to carry out the 'legally required' EIA, and the destruction of even 1,000 - never mind the quoted 13,000 - rai of forest, suggests the project is pretty well certain to have a huge impact on the environment . . . And a similarly large one on a not insignificant number of wallets.

• Like 1

Thai Science and Technology Manager, Plodprasop! This has to be the ultimate oxymoron.

First he proved to be incompetent to run a zoo properly by selling the meat of the animals in the zoo’s restaurant; later during the flood he became famous as “Prof. Propeller.” Future generations will remember him as Minister Flopprasop .

This guy is a regular Einstein

Is it just me... or does his name sound like "Plod The Sod"?

No. Just Plod.

For some reason when I hear his name I think of Bill and Ben, the Flowerpot Men.

Only when they talked they made more sense.

I often look at " science minister" Plodprasop in amazement, trying to reconcile his endless moronic statements such as this one with the fact that he managed to accumulate over a billion baht from a relatively low paid government position.

Perhaps as part of YIngluck's new crackdown on corruption they could start with him by the fact he has " unusual wealth" ?? But that is a side subject....... I actually think his position of one of the ultimate red herring. His goal is to deflect people's attention from real issues by making a clown out of himself. A bit like the slight of hand magician who distracts you with his left hand, while his right hand is doing something else. There is simply no other explanation for what he has done.....

A red herring is a clue which is intended to be misleading, or distracting from the actual issue.

From Wikipedia

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Thinking on about Bill and Ben, the Flwerpot Men there used to be a pretty little thing called Little Weed, who used to smile at the camera a lot but when she was asked a question went all shy, looked away and said nothing.

Can't think who she reminds me of....?

• Like 1

Remember, this is the person. Who had a wild animal meat restaurant At Chiang Mai night safari. I would not have him oil my bike!

I always wondered if the Chiang Mai night safari restaurant had a slogan. " Watch them by day, eat them at night " ? I can certainly understand corruption here, what I cannot understand is elevating men like this to high positions. In the real world he would not qualify for dog catcher....

• Like 1

Thai Science and Technology Manager, Plodprasop! This has to be the ultimate oxymoron.

According to Thai “culture” buffalos are stupid and Oxen are wise as the latter always predict a good rice harvest. In consequence of this way of thinking I propose this:

flopprasop.png

• Like 1

No. Just Plod.

For some reason when I hear his name I think of Bill and Ben, the Flowerpot Men.

Yeah.. like the time Bill and Ben were in the bath. Bill farted, and Ben said, "Quarter past four!" giggle.gif

-mel.

All dams have an effect on the environment. That is indisputable. Mae Wong dam will be no exception.

The real question is, do the benefits outweigh the inevitable changes that will result from disturbing natural water courses, water tables and water flow.

No. Just Plod.

And they were more intelligent