Tip Burn

Hi everyone i was wondering if those of you who grow 'fancy lettuce' in Thailand have any problems with tip burn in any type of gardening, and if the problem is only in the summer months or all of the year?

cheers

scoop

• 1 month later...

I've not experienced a problem with tip burn when growing lettuce. The problems that I have had is the tendency to bolt at the hotter times of the year.

Also the lettuce that I have grown is usually too bitter for my taste. Doen't seem to bother the Thais though.

I've grown my lettuce in soil, organically. I know that you are into hydroponics Scoop.

Hi Loong, are you growing Fancy lettuce or Head lettuce, may be you could get a variety that is suitable for the hot climate, they certainly will bolt if they are not grown quickly. Tip burn is not usually a serious problem when growing in soil but Fancy lettuce grown in hydroponics in hot conditions will suffer tip burn if the nutrient is not formulated to combat this

Scoop

Scoop, I only usually grow lettuce in the cool season, but my seeds didn't do well last season, the excessive rain didn't help.

Mixed varieties in one pack, Sylvesta, Barcelona, Tintin, Onyx, Smile, Bently and Solsun. Some nice frillies and reds in there.

Hi Loong, i dont go much on the fancy varieties, to me they look great as a decoration but a little bitter, i much prefer to eat head lettuce and they do very well in a single pot with coir and a good nutrient, too easy, but as with everything in hydroponics the rain has to be stopped from getting to the plants which is not that much of a problem if you only have few plants

Cheers

Scoop