Ting Tong Banking In Thaialnd

Have work permit and good salary and bank with SCB.

Applied for an ordinary credit card 100K limit with payments in full being taken from my account on monthly basis. Got told NO.

Made a compliant to Head office and asked again.

Lo and behold at branch today after being directed to go there to get mail, I picked up a platinum Visa card with wait for it .. wait for it... a credit limit of 399,000.

Go figure....seems to be no rhyme or reason in Thai banking and almost wholly dependant on who you talk to

now whose for a drink ????

Cheers

• Like 1

I've been told 'No' a few times in the bank for this and that. I've always felt that the person has said no because they're too lazy to sort it out, are not trained properly to know if I'm allowed what I'm asking for, or they just wanted to assert themselves and feel powerful.

I've always gone over their head and deliberately undermined them by asking to speak to someone more senior who knows what they're doing. Lo and behold - I've been successful.

A bank is a bank in any country. I'm a customer, and I expect to be dealt with professionalism.

• Like 1

I've been told 'No' a few times in the bank for this and that. I've always felt that the person has said no because they're too lazy to sort it out, are not trained properly to know if I'm allowed what I'm asking for, or they just wanted to assert themselves and feel powerful.

I've always gone over their head and deliberately undermined them by asking to speak to someone more senior who knows what they're doing. Lo and behold - I've been successful.

A bank is a bank in any country. I'm a customer, and I expect to be dealt with professionalism.

Could not agree more in fact what I left out when I walked into the SCB branch in asoke the snotty nosed little teller responded to my " Im here to collect a credit card".. we don't give credit cards to farangs... which was i think on reflection rather rude... I di have the pleasure of making sure he saw the credit limited which is probably a few times his annual salary.

Scb are very arrogant in some branches, they have a, real prick in the one at big C ratchada rd

He seems to say no to every farang related transactions

If I catch him on the desk I go to him specifically if I can just to spoil his day and ask him complicated questions to make him uncomfortable :-)

Scb are very arrogant in some branches, they have a, real prick in the one at big C ratchada rd

If I catch him on the desk I go to him specifically if I can just to spoil his day and ask him complicated questions to make him uncomfortable :-)

Unfortunately is a catch 22 situation - it may be perversely satisfying to make him uncomfortable but that does nothing except re-enforce his attitude to all falungs

Unfortunately is a catch 22 situation - it may be perversely satisfying to make him uncomfortable but that does nothing except re-enforce his attitude to all falungs

Then I guess they are even. rolleyes.gif

Then I guess they are even. rolleyes.gif

Hard not to be like that when you know the person is doing it simply because you are farang.

Gf was sitting outside condo the other day and overheard two of the security guards talking about how in next life they wanted to be farang as farang seemed to have it easier.. when you have that sort of attitude it breeds resentment in certain people .

All the services and infrastructures are there but many high street employees just dont know enough about their bank and the services.

Buy I think maybe its lots to do with the quality of the work force and the wages that they receive (low). Also unemployment rate is very low (less than 1%) meaning anyone can get a job if you have education and you can change jobs easily.

The arrogance bit, I think its in most parts of the world of banking.....I could be wrong tho...

Whoa there sunshine.

How do you think they react to a C.Card request when they check the records of nearly all farangs who have minimal savings in their bank.This would include the Non Imm-O with 800K Bht for visa renewal.

I would come up with a policy not to extend credit to someone who is not on a perpetual visa/residency too.

Banks in Asia have been burnt before...som num na

Whoa there sunshine.

How do you think they react to a C.Card request when they check the records of nearly all farangs who have minimal savings in their bank.This would include the Non Imm-O with 800K Bht for visa renewal.

I would come up with a policy not to extend credit to someone who is not on a perpetual visa/residency too.

Banks in Asia have been burnt before...som num na

I assume sunshine is directed at me... never been called that before .. I guess my cheery disposition must have shone through the note...

Firstly I had allot of money in the account with regular deposits of monthly salary which is NET greater than the credit limit they gave me.. so track record is there as well as stable employment history... I would hope that a main street bank would judge all credit applications on their individual merits and not just characterise them according to nationality or residency status

Secondly I'm glad your not running the bank ... you haven't been involved in financial matters in Greece have you by chance??

Cheers

Thai bankers must be reading from the UK banking playbook.

When I was living there - as a dirty Australian foreigner - I was told by Barclays and a few others that I needed to be living in the UK for at least a year before I opened a bank account. Natwest gave me one in 5 mins.

Jobsworths everywhere.