New Year In Pattaya

hughden

That turned out really well. If that had been a western city the buildings would probably have overexposed. I guess its an advantage in Thailand that the street lighting is so much less intense.

The trick I was taught for fireworks was to set the camera on a tripod and set it to "bulb" and cover the front of the lens with black construction paper. Then everytime you get a burst you move the paper away. When you slide it back just slide back from the other side so one side doesn't expose unevenly.

It speaks well for that camera that you could do this on one long exposure though. What kind was it?

cv

Neat trick with the black paper!

Camera is a Canon 300D. I set the ISO to 200 (300D gets grainy from 400 up) and aperture to F8. Waited till there was a firework in the sky and pressed the button half way to get an exposure time, which varied between 10 and 15 seconds. I think around 12 seconds would have been best, but it was dark and I had a beer in one hand, so I couldn't be bothered fiddling around to set exposure manually.

Also set the mirror to lock-up, so the mirror would go up and then the exposure start 1.5 seconds later; meant to reduce vibration.

Here are a couple of other night shots in Pattaya.

post-3752-1136094333_thumb.jpg

post-3752-1136094375_thumb.jpg

Nice shots hughden.

I like the picture of the pier. At what ISO did you shoot that pic? And what lens? Obviously it was shot with 300D?

BTW did you ever bring your 300D to Canon service in Thailand to get its CMOS sensor cleaned? If so, did they do it free of charge?

Here are some Fireworks from me ( amateur photograph without Tripod ) under the -10 c...brrrr.

I was too close and cant made the best shot and it was too coldddddd..

Anyway best wishes for all TV's members here.

post-14758-1136238637_thumb.jpg

post-14758-1136238690_thumb.jpg

post-14758-1136238761_thumb.jpg

post-14758-1136238795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saothai

Nice shots hughden. 

I like the picture of the pier.  At what ISO did you shoot that pic?  And what lens?  Obviously it was shot with 300D? 

BTW did you ever bring your 300D to Canon service in Thailand to get its CMOS sensor cleaned?  If so, did they do it free of charge?

Lens was the 70-200mm 2.8L at 200mm f14.1 ISO 200 for 6 seconds. Shot from the look-out over Pattaya. The street photo was more difficult. Needed a fairly long exposure to get some light from the mototbikes; but then some of the neon signs were over-exposed. So made another shot with less exposure and photoshopped the signs across. Still not perfect by any means; need to get more practice shooting at night!

I have never had my sensor cleaned. Probably needs it after more than 2 years usage; but I cannot spot any obvious marks in my photos (my eyes are crap!).

:D:D:D

Nice photos all of you.

This year total rubbish photos, must have been the grog. Last year only one from me,

medium.jpg:o

Nice thread "hughden" BTW. Lets have some more.

Happy Shooting :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Lens was the 70-200mm 2.8L at 200mm f14.1 ISO 200 for 6 seconds. Shot from the look-out over Pattaya. The street photo was more difficult. Needed a fairly long exposure to get some light from the mototbikes; but then some of the neon signs were over-exposed. So made another shot with less exposure and photoshopped the signs across. Still not perfect by any means; need to get more practice shooting at night!

No wonder it's sharp. I've got the same lens, but never used it for digital as I've only recently got my first DSLR and never visited any places scenic enough to try it with a telephoto lens except where I bought it in Japan. I thought you took this picture at ISO 400 or up. Thought you could get it much less grainy than this at ISO 200 with APS-C size sensor, although this is noiseless enough.

:D:D:D

Nice photos from you also Saothai. Thank you for sharing them. :D

medium.jpg:D

Kan you help me? :o

What software do you use to get those great “Frames around you works of art” ?

Happy Shooting :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Great pix again Kanwin......wait till next 31th December, then I hope I shall make a better shot and better location...but now I have to practice night scene as often as I can.... :o

I use *PhotoImpact 10 programm* for my frames. Free download from web. Sorry I didnt find it by myself, a friend of mine told me the website...and I did download them. I think you can find on google ....na Kanwin. If not ..I shall ask a friend again and tell you again later. :D

Nordlys

Possible my technique, but I do find I get grainy looking results from the 300D in low light; and 400 ISO and up is not much use in any conditions. I adding this to my list of justfications for getting a the 20D replacement if and when it is announced this year.

My first L lens was the 300mm prime and I find it gives consisently stunningly sharp photos. The 70-200 has been less impressive; results have been mixed; but again it is probably the photographer rather than the equipment!

Kan Win

That is a beautiful shot!

• 2 weeks later...