Things I Don'T Really Miss When In Thailand...

zzaa09

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really miss Governments telling me when. what or how to live and paying them to tell me. Jim

But the Thai government pontificates and rules on your right to even be here as well as frequently fiddling with the rules, so they already have their fat thumb in your bowl of noodles.

And you are paying your taxes here no?

Pay no tax on the farming, only on booze and smokes if I don;t buy local product. Pay no house rates and add an extra room without paying out for inspections. Don't get a fine for feeding the local ducks or taking a photo in a park without a permit. Kids can walk down the street to the local shop, unlike OZ where it is and offence for children under 12 to step out without an adult. Then again I don't live in BKK or a big city. Jim

Don't really miss Governments telling me when. what or how to live and paying them to tell me. Jim

But the Thai government pontificates and rules on your right to even be here as well as frequently fiddling with the rules, so they already have their fat thumb in your bowl of noodles.

Pay no tax on the farming, only on booze and smokes if I don;t buy local product. Pay no house rates and add an extra room without paying out for inspections. Don't get a fine for feeding the local ducks or taking a photo in a park without a permit. Kids can walk down the street to the local shop, unlike OZ where it is and offence for children under 12 to step out without an adult. Then again I don't live in BKK or a big city. Jim

Are you shittin me ??

I can understand the sentiment, but an offence ??

• Like 1

Council tax, cold weather, cold women, parking charges, recycling, petrol prices, insurance, road tax, Mot, police, working, cooking for myself.

(In no particular order)

Yes I much prefer a warm conniving woman as wellbiggrin.png

I don't miss the crotchety service....

Today in Starbucks in Korat.....I spilled a third of my latte, with a twist, by accident, my fault.

Half of what spilled went all over the table, the other half on the cushion of the comfy chair.

I asked the girl to bring over a towel and mop it up.....she said sorry, I said what for my fault....she said would you like another coffee...I said no thanks, my fault and still a lot left....she went away and brought me back a full free one.

Then she took the comfy chair away and said 'I suck for you'....I said, no I shy its ok.....she took it and sucked it out the back.

giggle.gif Please do point me to the state where this is the law, could save me some serious grief with the social workers!

I don't miss the crotchety service....

Today in Starbucks in Korat.....I spilled a third of my latte, with a twist, by accident, my fault.

Half of what spilled went all over the table, the other half on the cushion of the comfy chair.

I asked the girl to bring over a towel and mop it up.....she said sorry, I said what for my fault....she said would you like another coffee...I said no thanks, my fault and still a lot left....she went away and brought me back a full free one.

Then she took the comfy chair away and said 'I suck for you'....I said, no I shy its ok.....she took it and sucked it out the back.

cheesy.gif

Neds yobs chavs....whatever other name for 'em.

Yeah I've been watching some of those reality police shows from back in the UK on youtube. Some of the smegma they have to deal with. That's one of the things I like here. I'll wander to the 7-11 of an evening and there'll be a gang of Thai lads on their blinged up Honda Waves all big earrings and spikey hair and I'm either ignored or get the occasional well intentioned for a laugh to entertain their mates "YOU!YOU"

Imagine some Asian bloke back home doing the same.

"OI you f'in caaarnt" followed by a kicking.

Scum.

• Like 2

The long faces of unhappy people;

Super unhealthy food;

Eighty six road signs at every intersection;

Sunset at 3:30pm;

Turning on the central heating in June;

Recieving an electric bill in March that's greater than my mortgage payment;

Taking out a loan to get my car serviced;

Remortgaging to pay the interest on the loan I took out to pay for the car service;

Smiling at someone in the street and being punched out for it;

u must be from the UK?

• Like 1

The long faces of unhappy people;

Super unhealthy food;

Eighty six road signs at every intersection;

Sunset at 3:30pm;

Turning on the central heating in June;

Recieving an electric bill in March that's greater than my mortgage payment;

Taking out a loan to get my car serviced;

Remortgaging to pay the interest on the loan I took out to pay for the car service;

Smiling at someone in the street and being punched out for it;

u must be from the UK?

thumbsup.gif

I periodically go through a, should I go back or not phase and this thread has helped enormously with that, I'm not going.

• Like 2

Scraping ice off the windscreen at 5:30 am. University trained engineering bosses who have sod all idea what a spanner is. Being run ragged and being paged by them to go see them, and being asked what are you doing? Taxes especially council tax. People pretending to be ill so they can claim benefits. Single tarts getting pregnant to get a house.

giggle.gif Please do point me to the state where this is the law, could save me some serious grief with the social workers!

All the east coast states, though not enforced regularly, but enforced at times. Watched on the TV a few days ago. Father stops car and sends 9 year old into a shop to get something. Father arrested. Everything is illegal and carrys a fine, don't think you can walk around the block without braking a law. If it's not illegal it's licensed. Jim

So all the thousands of school kids I see every day from the age of 8 yrs old are actually breaking the law (or rather the parents are!)?

Well the jails would be full then lol ..

NSW...http://www.community.../home_alone.pdf

http://raisingchildr...oes the law say

The law in Australia

There’s no actual law that states at what age children can or can’t be left alone. But the law is clear about the responsibility of parents to look after their children, and parents are expected to make ‘reasonable’ decisions about their children’s safety

I am sorry but I dont buy this one.

Edited by edwinclapham

So all the thousands of school kids I see every day from the age of 8 yrs old are actually breaking the law (or rather the parents are!)?

Well the jails would be full then lol ..

NSW...http://www.community.../home_alone.pdf

http://raisingchildr...oes the law say

The law in Australia

There’s no actual law that states at what age children can or can’t be left alone. But the law is clear about the responsibility of parents to look after their children, and parents are expected to make ‘reasonable’ decisions about their children’s safety

I am sorry but I dont buy this one.

Crazy law

Article

|

22 comments

so far

1605_CrazyLaw.jpg

A new law introduced in Queensland has made it illegal to leave a child under 12 unattended for an unreasonable time. Now, a debate over child safety has ignited across the country after a Brisbane dad was convicted of the offence for letting his son go into a shopping centre alone to pick up sushi for lunch.

Paying near on a fiver to go from zone 2 to zone 1 on the London Underground in conditions that would be illegal if transporting livestock.

The feeling that every aspect of your life must be organised and planned to the nth degree to avoid being hit with fines, penalties or charges. Got to have change for the parking meter, got to pay congestion charge online, Gatso cameras, extortionate insurance, banks trying to plug their balance sheets buy charging for anything that involves more than speaking.

Don't get me started on women who ask "Where's this going?" after the first shag.

• Like 1

Western diet, food, and cuisines.

Odd isn't it, we grew up loving traditional dishes and now we loathe them because of the poor quality and the fact they are so unhealthy. Or is it that folks have just forgotten how to make such things, hmm I think that's the case.

Something else I don't miss and that's sandwiches, everywhere sells sandwiches and in some towns that's the only alternative there is to even worse fast food such as MacD and Booger King, I got sick and tired of sandwiches the last time I was there but it's either that, starve or eat real crap.

Odd isn't it, we grew up loving traditional dishes and now we loathe them because of the poor quality and the fact they are so unhealthy. Or is it that folks have just forgotten how to make such things, hmm I think that's the case.

Something else I don't miss and that's sandwiches, everywhere sells sandwiches and in some towns that's the only alternative there is to even worse fast food such as MacD and Booger King, I got sick and tired of sandwiches the last time I was there but it's either that, starve or eat real crap.

If your gauge of sandwiches is Subway, then yes you are correct.......but cannot beat a good sanga if made properly.....I dun miss them cos can make an awesome one here......my son made me one last weekend....rye bread, thick sliced, smoked ham, multigrain mustard, onion and tomato.....butter on the outside and pan fried....then add a lettuce leaf after cooked and cracked black pepper.....mmmmm

• Like 1

I think our taste buds have taken on a whole new meaning and or / we have been brought up with spicy meals. Various curries from all over the world were always on our menus, including Thai, Singaporean, Mexican etc etc but adapting the traditional western foods with chillies,Parika etc sure can hell liven up a potentially bland dish.

If your gauge of sandwiches is Subway, then yes you are correct.......but cannot beat a good sanga if made properly.....I dun miss them cos can make an awesome one here......my son made me one last weekend....rye bread, thick sliced, smoked ham, multigrain mustard, onion and tomato.....butter on the outside and pan fried....then add a lettuce leaf after cooked and cracked black pepper.....mmmmm

was sounding like a nice healthy sandwich until you got to the butter and frying part, nice touch with the lettuce though

was sounding like a nice healthy sandwich until you got to the butter and frying part, nice touch with the lettuce though

nought wrong with a very light spread of butter and then into the pan....no oil or such, the butter cooks it......better than processed margarine.

Heathen.

Thai food is over-rated and often of poor quality. Decent Western food (and I don't include pizza, KFC and Burger King) provides a welcome balance to our diets when we live in Thailand.

I was just in NYC and watched a lot of television (I ain't got no western tv at home in Suphanburi) and there were advertisements for new fast food dishes that were really disgusting: french fries with a covering of velveeta processed cheese and 'new' foot long submarine sandwiches with the most disgusting 'new' ingredients that I had ever seen...dribbling chemical additives over chemically enhanced meat and accoutrements and the bread looked terrible...

I was lucky that by my hotel there were places that had nice made to order salads and excellent falafel sandwiches and I dined fantastically with takeaways...(upper west side near W 94th and B'way)

but the advertising campaign for the velveeta french fries must of cost millions...and here is a local guy watching late night tv and saying: 'I got to get me one of those...'

and that guy is allowed to vote in elections...imagine the same scenario where the US is attempting to establish western style liberal democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan...(Obama and Panetta: 'send in Subway and MacDonalds and our problems here shall soon disappear...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

nought wrong with a very light spread of butter and then into the pan....no oil or such, the butter cooks it......better than processed margarine.

There are sandwiches and sandwiches, what you describe sounds good but I was talking about those objects that are sold in huge numbers of retail outlets in the UK from Boots thru, petrol stations and seemingly almost every food outlet. Two pieces of limp brown/white bread filled with something inside, god only knows what, but all with appealing and sexy names, £2.50, £3, £3.50 and £4 for a fast dose of cholesterol, fat and salt, no wonder most native Brits are overweight and in poor health but what are the choices.

I sometimes think there's a serious market out there for Asian style food courts that sell healthy and inexpensive dishes, trouble is that customers probably wouldn't buy it and the cost of taxes, licenses and levies would make the whole thing financially very difficult, sad, really really sad.