Things I Don'T Really Miss When In Thailand...

zzaa09

nought wrong with a very light spread of butter and then into the pan....no oil or such, the butter cooks it......better than processed margarine.

There are sandwiches and sandwiches, what you describe sounds good but I was talking about those objects that are sold in huge numbers of retail outlets in the UK from Boots thru, petrol stations and seemingly almost every food outlet. Two pieces of limp brown/white bread filled with something inside, god only knows what, but all with appealing and sexy names, £2.50, £3, £3.50 and £4 for a fast dose of cholesterol, fat and salt, no wonder most native Brits are overweight and in poor health but what are the choices.

I sometimes think there's a serious market out there for Asian style food courts that sell healthy and inexpensive dishes, trouble is that customers probably wouldn't buy it and the cost of taxes, licenses and levies would make the whole thing financially very difficult, sad, really really sad.

I have to agree with you there. Probably the best place for a decent sandwich is the Italian Deli which are dotted around the UK, but even they come at a premium. Its hard to become enthusiastic over something with little filling at a vast price.

Australia on the whole IMO has better tastier sandwiches, but we now take our own food, healthier, cheaper and tastier in the Thai Food Carriers.

41-alHzBoXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The food courts selling asian food here are good, plenty of variety but they dont come cheap. $12 for a Thai curry and rice takeaway isnt that cheap. Oh how I long for my B30 specials when I am away lol.

Edited by edwinclapham

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$12 for a decent curry in Oz doesn't sound too bad to me. Try £15 for Cow Pad Gai in a Thai restaurant in London and surly, scowling transplanted Issan waitresses with newly acquired airs and graces to boot, I had wanted tell one that I felt sure I remembered her from The Dolls House in Pattaya but thought better of it!

• Like 2

nought wrong with a very light spread of butter and then into the pan....no oil or such, the butter cooks it......better than processed margarine.

There are sandwiches and sandwiches, what you describe sounds good but I was talking about those objects that are sold in huge numbers of retail outlets in the UK from Boots thru, petrol stations and seemingly almost every food outlet. Two pieces of limp brown/white bread filled with something inside, god only knows what, but all with appealing and sexy names, £2.50, £3, £3.50 and £4 for a fast dose of cholesterol, fat and salt, no wonder most native Brits are overweight and in poor health but what are the choices.

I sometimes think there's a serious market out there for Asian style food courts that sell healthy and inexpensive dishes, trouble is that customers probably wouldn't buy it and the cost of taxes, licenses and levies would make the whole thing financially very difficult, sad, really really sad.

Thats why I mentioned Subway.

Asian style food courts would have to offer 'upsizes' and 'do you want fries with that'

Don't really miss Governments telling me when. what or how to live and paying them to tell me. Jim

But the Thai government pontificates and rules on your right to even be here as well as frequently fiddling with the rules, so they already have their fat thumb in your bowl of noodles.

And you are paying your taxes here no?

Pay no tax on the farming, only on booze and smokes if I don;t buy local product. Pay no house rates and add an extra room without paying out for inspections. Don't get a fine for feeding the local ducks or taking a photo in a park without a permit. Kids can walk down the street to the local shop, unlike OZ where it is and offence for children under 12 to step out without an adult. Then again I don't live in BKK or a big city. Jim

OZ you must be referring to the TV show. Illegal for kids to walk down to the corner store? Your off your rocker mate.

Western diet, food, and cuisines.

Heathen.

Thai food is over-rated and often of poor quality. Decent Western food (and I don't include pizza, KFC and Burger King) provides a welcome balance to our diets when we live in Thailand.

Guess both of your comments are a matter of opinion and knowledge [of lack thereof]

Edited by zzaa09

I was just in NYC and watched a lot of television (I ain't got no western tv at home in Suphanburi) and there were advertisements for new fast food dishes that were really disgusting: french fries with a covering of velveeta processed cheese and 'new' foot long submarine sandwiches with the most disgusting 'new' ingredients that I had ever seen...dribbling chemical additives over chemically enhanced meat and accoutrements and the bread looked terrible...

I was lucky that by my hotel there were places that had nice made to order salads and excellent falafel sandwiches and I dined fantastically with takeaways...(upper west side near W 94th and B'way)

but the advertising campaign for the velveeta french fries must of cost millions...and here is a local guy watching late night tv and saying: 'I got to get me one of those...'

and that guy is allowed to vote in elections...imagine the same scenario where the US is attempting to establish western style liberal democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan...(Obama and Panetta: 'send in Subway and MacDonalds and our problems here shall soon disappear...')

NYC is a very strange city because it isn't really America but it's in America. Most New Yorkers don't eat the filth that is advertised for Americans.

Some of the ads I see are very creepy--they advertise things that I wouldn't even consider food. Exhibit A: http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2006/07/jimmy-dean-chocolate-chip-pancakes.html

Things I don't miss from the west when in Thailand.

1. Mind numbing political correctness

2. Western food slathered in grease and salt.

3. Laws, on top of laws, and then laws to govern the laws already passed. You can't take a pee in the forest without someone shining a light into every orifice of your body.

4. The culture of fear perpetuated by the government and media.

5. Western drivers are becoming increasingly more like their 3rd world cousins. Probably because all the 3rd world cousins are moving to the west.

6. Ignorant people. I know, they are everywhere, but in Thailand I can just smile at them and walk away.

7. The hectic pace of life in general.

8. Being invisible, as I am past the age where I am marketed to, accepted as main stream or seen as a viable romantic partner.

9. Paying 250 baht for a pack of cigarettes.

10. Paying 350 baht for a hamburger and fries, without a drink!

11. Having to pretend I give a <deleted>.

12. The western governments and their hell-bent for leather ideal to destroy civilization.

13. Going on a date and in the first 15 minutes feeling like I'm being interrogated by the CIA in Guantanamo Bay.

14. The look of horror on someone's face when you meet their eyes and smile in public.

15. Having someone attempt to convert me to their religion.

Edited by KeyserSoze01
  • Like 2

I was just in NYC and watched a lot of television (I ain't got no western tv at home in Suphanburi) and there were advertisements for new fast food dishes that were really disgusting: french fries with a covering of velveeta processed cheese and 'new' foot long submarine sandwiches with the most disgusting 'new' ingredients that I had ever seen...dribbling chemical additives over chemically enhanced meat and accoutrements and the bread looked terrible...

I was lucky that by my hotel there were places that had nice made to order salads and excellent falafel sandwiches and I dined fantastically with takeaways...(upper west side near W 94th and B'way)

but the advertising campaign for the velveeta french fries must of cost millions...and here is a local guy watching late night tv and saying: 'I got to get me one of those...'

and that guy is allowed to vote in elections...imagine the same scenario where the US is attempting to establish western style liberal democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan...(Obama and Panetta: 'send in Subway and MacDonalds and our problems here shall soon disappear...')

NYC is a very strange city because it isn't really America but it's in America. Most New Yorkers don't eat the filth that is advertised for Americans.

Some of the ads I see are very creepy--they advertise things that I wouldn't even consider food. Exhibit A: http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2006/07/jimmy-dean-chocolate-chip-pancakes.html

well...NYC is NYC and recognized by most as the present center of western civilization...but I haveta admit that most folks that ye deal with are not native english speakers but I can speak spanish fluently and it don't bother me none...

but there were corner shops with beautiful displays of fresh fruits and vegetables and the take out food in the delis was superb and when contrasted with the horrible 'suggestions' on the telly adverts ye gotta just wonder...

contradictions are common in the third world and not expected in the center of western civilization; but maybe NYC is third world...who knows...an existential dilemma...

Some of the ads I see are very creepy--they advertise things that I wouldn't even consider food. Exhibit A: http://www.junkfoodb...p-pancakes.html

well...NYC is NYC and recognized by most as the present center of western civilization...but I haveta admit that most folks that ye deal with are not native english speakers but I can speak spanish fluently and it don't bother me none...

but there were corner shops with beautiful displays of fresh fruits and vegetables and the take out food in the delis was superb and when contrasted with the horrible 'suggestions' on the telly adverts ye gotta just wonder...

contradictions are common in the third world and not expected in the center of western civilization; but maybe NYC is third world...who knows...an existential dilemma...

It really depends on what you mean by "third world", but I'd say many (most?) of NYC inhabitants came from the third world or their parents did, so that's not far off the mark.

There is no question about it, most of NYC and the surrounding burrows are definitely 3rd world. The original melting pot, so to speak.

NYC is one of those places you either love or hate. I detest it to the point that I have made career decisions around not having to be based in or work in NYC. Having said that, NYC is the best place to get some lox with a schmear!

There is no question about it, most of NYC and the surrounding burrows are definitely 3rd world. The original melting pot, so to speak.

NYC is one of those places you either love or hate. I detest it to the point that I have made career decisions around not having to be based in or work in NYC. Having said that, NYC is the best place to get some lox with a schmear!

yeah, I sorta missed out by not spending more time downtown and dining on takeaway from the famous jewish delis but I was busy and running around and only had a few days to finish my business...but I did hear Spanish spoken about as much as I heard English...

and the latino guys that prepared the salads in the uptown delis were masterful: with a large stainless mixing bowl with a choice of either romaine (my favorite) or mixed greens with an intoxicating selection of additions and I always got feta, tomatoes and olives with vinaigrette and then there was the vigorous mixing of the ingredients in the big bowl and then the presented result...out of this world...and the latino preparation guys probably never ate salads like that at home...

('y por que estos gabachos les gustan comer ensalada con este queso feta? esto me da asgo!...'...'es porque estos gabachos son unos asquerosos! haw! haw! haw!')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

As a native I have to say it's just like people's perceptions of Bangkok. Growing up on the upper east side going to private schools weekends on the island or in Connecticut, different world from what you see street level.

Need to spend at least a quarter million a year net to be safe and comfortable there, but for those who can afford it, it can be a pretty great place.

Those trying to live on 50K or less, not so much. . .

As a native I have to say it's just like people's perceptions of Bangkok. Growing up on the upper east side going to private schools weekends on the island or in Connecticut, different world from what you see street level.

Need to spend at least a quarter million a year net to be safe and comfortable there, but for those who can afford it, it can be a pretty great place.

yeah...I haveta agree...I lived in London for a few months and was broke with no job and had no money and the place impressed me as the most boring place on earth...but everything changes when you got some dosh and are 'uptown and high falutin'...

in London I lived in Kilburn NW6 which is an OK place to be broke in 'cause most other folks that live there are broke; jamaicans, irish laborers, drug addicts and etc and it was a lively place I haveta admit...but if ye headed downtown to Oxford St then it's another story altogether, even the price of a pint went up by 50p...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I do not miss:

enviousness (people who can't be happy for others except themselves)

arrogance (people who think their country is better than any other)

racism (people who think people of other ethnicities are worse than theirs)

discrimination (people who think that being different is bad)

Not that the things mentioned above would not occur in Thailand, but just like someone said on this thread, you can at least smile, turn around and move on.

I do not miss:

enviousness (people who can't be happy for others except themselves)

arrogance (people who think their country is better than any other)

racism (people who think people of other ethnicities are worse than theirs)

discrimination (people who think that being different is bad)

Not that the things mentioned above would not occur in Thailand, but just like someone said on this thread, you can at least smile, turn around and move on.

if you think that your list of attributes do not exist in Thailand then you are seriously deluded...they exist in greater magnitude than in the west IMO...

btw...do you look like the actress Michelle Pfieffer (per yer icon)? she was always a very pretty girl...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

if you think that your list of attributes do not exist in Thailand then you are seriously deluded...they exist in greater magnitude than in the west IMO...

Oh, I've never denied its existence in Thailand, you've probably missed what I said in my last sentence, but anyways...

btw...do you look like the actress Michelle Pfieffer (per yer icon)? she was always a very pretty girl...

... I've been told I'm a mix between Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster. :)

Oh, I've never denied its existence in Thailand, you've probably missed what I said in my last sentence, but anyways...

... I've been told I'm a mix between Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster. :)

hmmm...Silence of the Lambs and Scarface with Al Pacino?...with extreme beauty there is always violence and death in the movies and one must accept that the ground beneath one's feet may be unstable from time to time...

(INCOMING! ms eek, I'm going back to bed and getting back under the covers...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...I haveta agree...I lived in London for a few months and was broke with no job and had no money and the place impressed me as the most boring place on earth...but everything changes when you got some dosh and are 'uptown and high falutin'...

in London I lived in Kilburn NW6 which is an OK place to be broke in 'cause most other folks that live there are broke; jamaicans, irish laborers, drug addicts and etc and it was a lively place I haveta admit...but if ye headed downtown to Oxford St then it's another story altogether, even the price of a pint went up by 50p...

I've been well-off in London and nearly broke in NYC, and I still preferred NYC to London. I couldn't tell you why--something about the city just rubbed me the wrong way.

NYC--particularly Manhattan--and Bangkok have the same kind of playground feeling to them that I can't quite put my finger on or explain. London, however, was a more soul-sucking and depressing place. Maybe it has to do with my own personal situation.