Gold Prices To Continue To Drop, Says Expert

Can’t Earn <deleted> On Schatz…

By Jamie Coleman || May 30, 2012 at 15:39 GMT

|| 0 comments || Add comment

The yield on the German 2-year bond (refered to as the “Schatz”) has fallen to zero.

Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

Germany will, however, return your money in two-years time, so you’ve got that going for you…

http://www.forexlive...hite-on-schatz/

The yield on the German 2-year bond (refered to as the “Schatz”) has fallen to zero.

Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

Germany will, however, return your money in two-years time, so you’ve got that going for you…

are you 100% ++ sure youll get it back and if you do whats it worth maybe 90% at best at todays prices pathetic

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you buy it be prepared to sell it. Or sit in the Mr Angry room.

I would say that the majority of the posters here don't agree with that statement.

I must be wrong then biggrin.png

Cheer up, its just bounced.

It seems you assume that every time gold goes up then we throw big parties and every time it drops we sit in a dark corner crying. That's not how it is for most of the buyers of physical gold. In fact, during the time that is it dropping most of the gold lovers I know get very excited cause they can obtain more physical at a lower price. They are not about buying today to sell tomorrow. If you want to trade gold like that then there are much more lucrative ways to do that by trading gold futures. The ones to buy and hold physical metals are holding for a longer term as as a hedge against inflation. This also has the benefit of giving people a more secure feeling as they are holding the asset in their hands and don't have to rely on a bank teller to hold their wealth. It's also quite obvious that most portfolio managers have always recommended keeping from 10-20% of your portfolio in precious metals. Not sure why it's such a big deal when folks express their desire to hold physical metal in their hands. To me it makes me feel much more secure holding gold in my hands than say german bonds that pay 0%

best not to try and teach donkeys or blind men IMO they will never learn but I do try but never succeed so wish id stop trying I just hate to see mugs getting totally mugged

Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

are you 100% ++ sure youll get it back and if you do whats it worth maybe 90% at best at todays prices pathetic

The reason why there would be buyers for a zero rated German bund is a hedge against the possibility of a Euro breakup. In the event that that might happen within two years, the bond would convert to New Marks and this would be anticipated as appreciating against other currencies. Therefore even the zero return has a market. The comment above (are you 100% ++ sure youll get it back and if you do whats it worth maybe 90% at best at todays prices pathetic) showsno understanding at all.

Quote Jayman: " It's also quite obvious that most portfolio managers have always recommended keeping from 10-20% of your portfolio in precious metals".

I disagree with that comment, as putting together a balanced portfolio for a client has never involved recommending keeping 10 to 20% of their portfolio in precious metals. When asked by the client if precious metals could be included, then the standard answer would be, "I don't recommend it, however if you do want to keep some in your portfolio, certainly no more than 5 to10% of its value".

It was seen as something to appease the investor but almost never included in any portfolio apart from those of the most aggressive investor. The reason was that it earned no income and over an extended period of time really did not keep pace with inflation. One for the speculators/traders, and not the investors.

• Like 1

The ones to buy and hold physical metals are holding for a longer term as as a hedge against inflation.
and if they are told that for the last three decades gold was no hedge against inflation they stare in disbelief and/or get angry whistling.gif

Quote Jayman: " It's also quite obvious that most portfolio managers have always recommended keeping from 10-20% of your portfolio in precious metals".

I disagree with that comment, as putting together a balanced portfolio for a client has never involved recommending keeping 10 to 20% of their portfolio in precious metals. When asked by the client if precious metals could be included, then the standard answer would be, "I don't recommend it, however if you do want to keep some in your portfolio, certainly no more than 5 to10% of its value".

It was seen as something to appease the investor but almost never included in any portfolio apart from those of the most aggressive investor. The reason was that it earned no income and over an extended period of time really did not keep pace with inflation. One for the speculators/traders, and not the investors.

in "ancient" times the standing rule for investors was "30% immobile property, 30% shares, 30% bonds and 10% gold".

but the ancient times have gone. in many areas property prices have gone down, the same applies to many stock markets, not only corporate but even sovereign debtors defaulted on bonds (Greece only a few weeks ago) and gold... well... ahmm...

The ones to buy and hold physical metals are holding for a longer term as as a hedge against inflation.
and if they are told that for the last three decades gold was no hedge against inflation they stare in disbelief and/or get angry whistling.gif

But not before they dance off into La-La Land and the grand conspiracy theories.

But not before they dance off into La-La Land and the grand conspiracy theories.

Blimey, that's a flashback! Thought you were too young around here to remember Alex.smile.png "The One That Knows".

Wonder what happened to him?

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Blimey, that's a flashback! Thought you were too young around here to remember Alex.smile.png "The One That Knows".

Lah-Lah Alex was fun. i miss him!

Actually I don't.

i miss him giving you a hard time laugh.png

in "ancient" times the standing rule for investors was "30% immobile property, 30% shares, 30% bonds and 10% gold".

but the ancient times have gone. in many areas property prices have gone down, the same applies to many stock markets, not only corporate but even sovereign debtors defaulted on bonds (Greece only a few weeks ago) and gold... well... ahmm...

In more modern times the investment portfolio was put together depending upon the investor circumstances rather than "a standing rule". Those would include, age, risk profile, goals, current investments, amount of current debt, and the need to access funds in the short or medium-term etc.

Someone putting together a portfolio some 30 years ago would still be ahead because of growth in the relative asset classes utilised in an investment plan, however again these would not normally include gold. Even putting together a portfolio now, one could argue that the buying in a recession is not altogether bad, and to quote the old saying, "it is time in the market, not timing, that matters".

" a gold standard protects the value of a currency, and that is why the politicians don't want it. "thumbsup.gif

because it is a well known fact that politicians hate the value of a currency. they are only happy if they

can devalue currencies every day from 9 to 5 and forgo even lunch break and sunday morning mass in

order conduct their favourite pastime.

i miss him giving you a hard time laugh.png

poor little boys aren't able to give me a hard time.

To me it makes me feel much more secure holding gold in my hands than say german bonds that pay 0%

0% Vs 0%

well since that was posted the german shatz have gone negative

To me it makes me feel much more secure holding gold in my hands than say german bonds that pay 0%

0% Vs 0%

well since that was posted the german shatz have gone negative

<0% Vs =0%

is that better?

if by better you mean more accurate then yes.

still not sure what school of math you went to where <0%=0%

Edited by Jayman

The one where we could read 'Vs'

Ok.. so are you posing a question like...

Which would you prefer <0% vs 0%?

I think again the answer is pretty obvious. How would you answer this?

Also, considering you are making a response to my statement

that would mean 0% vs <0%

so again.. are you trying to prove a point or just show how "right" you are for not investing in either bonds or gold?

Edited by Jayman

so again.. are you trying to prove a point or just show how "right" you are for not investing in either bonds or gold?

Such a tricky question!

Such a tricky question!

It was your post mate.. if you don't know why you posted it then.......