Taxes Paid But No Plate..

Is it illegal to ride a bike that has no plate, even if all import and excise taxes have been paid ?

I have searched and read all previous posts about excise tax etc but can't find a definite answer, or a reliable process to obtaining a valid green book.. Maybe I haven't found the right posts :)

The bike I'm looking at was allegedly imported whole as opposed to built from imported parts, if this makes any difference ?

Thanks

no its not legal only bikes with green book, road tax and min. insurance paid are road legal.

Exise tax paid is the first step in order to apply for a green book, and if you dont know the right ppl it wont work so better leave invoice bikes alone.

Edited by Hili

, and if you dont know the right ppl it wont work so better leave invoice bikes alone.

i wouldnt go as far as that ,its very do-able to get a book through anyone who works in the business regardless of the rumours that have been spreading

40k up front and the same when your book arrives (90 days )

its just not a good deal unless the bike has signigifant value ,i considered it but didnt think the price justified it for my older bikes

my next bike will be a 2011/2012 import and i will be paying 80k to make it road legal and proper :)

Of course it's not legal. Would it be legal to ride an unplated bike or drive an unplated car in your home country? Thanks to the wonderfully corrupt BiB it's possible to get away with it here in Thailand but even the Brown Mafia do occasionally enforce the law, so as our hosts like to say, "up to you!".

, and if you dont know the right ppl it wont work so better leave invoice bikes alone.

i wouldnt go as far as that ,its very do-able to get a book through anyone who works in the business regardless of the rumours that have been spreading

its just not a good deal unless the bike has signigifant value ,i considered it but didnt think the price justified it for my older bikes

my next bike will be a 2011/2012 import and i will be paying 80k to make it road legal and proper :)

Good luck with that ,I don't think I have heard of any one on this forum who has managed to do it just a few horror stories of people who haven't but I suppose red baron and a few others manage to do it so it is obviously possible especially if it is newish or new bike

Not legal to ride on a public road without the proper registration. Also from the beginning of this month, it's not possible to register a secondhand imported motorcycle according to sources at the Department of Road Transport. The government has a ban on importing and registering secondhand imported motorcycles.

my next bike will be a 2011/2012 import and i will be paying 80k to make it road legal and proper smile.png

Good luck with that ,I don't think I have heard of any one on this forum who has managed to do it just a few horror stories of people who haven't but I suppose red baron and a few others manage to do it so it is obviously possible especially if it is newish or new bike

it is 100% safe ,its not liike the books are fake (they are coming from the exact same office that churns out the real ones )

similar to my wifes family member who bought a driving licence (she paid 2000 thb for it ) because didnt want to do the test

the licence is as real as anybody elses ,since it come off the same printing press as all the ones that were accuired properly

the books are the same ,just get it from someone who does this all day ,every day such as red baron or a simiar professional outfit

and you wont have any problems

my next bike will be a 2011/2012 import and i will be paying 80k to make it road legal and proper smile.png

it is 100% safe ,its not liike the books are fake (they are coming from the exact same office that churns out the real ones )

similar to my wifes family member who bought a driving licence (she paid 2000 thb for it ) because didnt want to do the test

the licence is as real as anybody elses ,since it come off the same printing press as all the ones that were accuired properly

the books are the same ,just get it from someone who does this all day ,every day such as red baron or a simiar professional outfit

Arent we sort of talking about two things here

OP is asking if its legal to buy a bike second hand that has all taxes paid but doesn't have book or plate.

Answers have been along lines that its legal if you get it from someone like Red Baron who provide book and plate...

Im assuming OP asked question as he is NOT buying from someone like Red Baron....

Not legal to ride on a public road without the proper registration. Also from the beginning of this month, it's not possible to register a secondhand imported motorcycle according to sources at the Department of Road Transport. The government has a ban on importing and registering secondhand imported motorcycles.

Wrong. Law hasn't gone into effect, there's no enforcement in effect, and imported cars and bikes are still being registered. TiT wai.gif

There's no such thing as 100% in Thailand. A book that passes as "legal" today might not pass as legal tomorrow. Sure there are fixers and DLT staff who can still be bought, but going forward there's no 100% guarantee that such "under-the-table" books will remain legal. Chances are they will, but TiT, you never really know, do you?

Your wife's friend paid 2000 Baht for the driver's license? I thought the going rate was more like 200 (that's what one of my staff paid recently to buy her license after failing the test a couple times)... laugh.png

Happy Trails!

T

"There's no such thing as 100% in Thailand. A book that passes as "legal" today might not pass as legal tomorrow. Sure there are fixers and DLT staff who can still be bought, but going forward there's no 100% guarantee that such "under-the-table" books will remain legal. Chances are they will, but TiT, you never really know, do you?

Your wife's friend paid 2000 Baht for the driver's license? I thought the going rate was more like 200 (that's what one of my staff paid recently to buy her license after failing the test a couple times)... laugh.png

Happy Trails!

T"

i suspect someone is lieing you and you may be too thick to realise it

a licence costs around 500 IF YOU PASS THE TEST PROPERLY

You think the staff are going to pay the 500 for you out of their own pockets to get a bribe of -300 thb? thumbsup.gif

Edited by wana

"There's no such thing as 100% in Thailand. A book that passes as "legal" today might not pass as legal tomorrow. Sure there are fixers and DLT staff who can still be bought, but going forward there's no 100% guarantee that such "under-the-table" books will remain legal. Chances are they will, but TiT, you never really know, do you?

Happy Trails!

T"

i suspect someone is lieing you and you may be too thick to realise it

You think the staff are going to pay the 500 for you out of their own pockets to get a bribe of -300 thb? thumbsup.gif

I don't really care if you believe me or not. It was a mc license and she bought it for 200 Baht a little over a year ago. I won't mention which DLT office :)

I'll probably drop 40-60k on an SR400 regardless. I've ridden bikes with no papers, along with almost 70% of my Thai friends having some sort of offroad bike with no papers and the cops haven't cared for years in Chiang Mai.

Worth the risk for me to ride what I want.

I'll probably drop 40-60k on an SR400 regardless. I've ridden bikes with no papers, along with almost 70% of my Thai friends having some sort of offroad bike with no papers and the cops haven't cared for years in Chiang Mai.

there are plenty of bikes in my area unplated

my neighbour has a ducati import with a novelty plate it says ( ITALY 696 )

i normally get waved through checkpoints for free on unplated bikes but of course ,in thailand the law is

always subject to occasional crackdowns

and even the crackdowns are usually open to financial negeotiations :D

Same here but it does depend where you live. I'm in Chiang Rai and ride an XJR1300 with no plate but it does have invoice, excise and tax/insurance. Been asked for excise papers once by some Govt bods who were at the same coffee shop as I was but they soon lost interest when they saw everything was in order. Never had a BIB look twice even though I see them almost daily, the only time they've shown interest is when asking about engine size, top speed etc. My neighbour is a policeman and not said anything either and police just pulled up next to me at 7/11 today and said nowt.

Same here but it does depend where you live. I'm in Chiang Rai and ride an XJR1300 with no plate but it does have invoice, excise and tax/insurance. Been asked for excise papers once by some Govt bods who were at the same coffee shop as I was but they soon lost interest when they saw everything was in order. Never had a BIB look twice even though I see them almost daily, the only time they've shown interest is when asking about engine size, top speed etc. My neighbour is a policeman and not said anything either and police just pulled up next to me at 7/11 today and said nowt.

just dont forget your wallet when you go out riding a imported bike ,never know when you may be stopped and with no bribe it might be hard to get away :)

Very different in bkk. I've been asked for the book 4 or 5 times and when I showed them the copy they checked page 18 and checked all the numbers matched. Without a plate or book I'm pretty sure I'd have been taking a taxi home. These were official stops, not looking for 200 baht.

I have a legit bike, and am original owner taxes paid etc. and am wondering, where I can get a smaller plate, something not sooooooo big and fugly looking. I have seen bike with much smaller plates out and about while driving. . .

Much rather ride without it.

Trying to tidy up the rear. . .

And will just keep a copy of all my docs on me for the ocassional stop. . .

Not trying to hijack the thread

Thnx in advance. . .

I have a legit bike, and am original owner taxes paid etc. and am wondering, where I can get a smaller plate, something not sooooooo big and fugly looking. I have seen bike with much smaller plates out and about while driving. . .

Thnx in advance. . .

Is the bike easier to handle or does it get higher speeds when the plate is smaller?

Thnx in advance. . .

All new plates are the larger size. The smaller plate is not issued anymore. You can have them made off your old plate at many smaller mechanics shops, but these are novelty and not road legal. But, I guess if the numbers match your registration, then it shouldn't be a big deal. They make them at the Harley shop in Pattaya, and all over Bangkok I see many shops with license plates out front.

I suspect someone is lieing you and you may be too thick to realise it

1. I paid my MC driving license on 11 December 2011 at a cost of 155 baht to be precise. All done legally at the Department of Land Transportation. Not sure where you paid yours but obviously you got ripped off.

2. To answer to the OP on my experience. I bought a V on credit. Since the bike partly belongs to the credit company, I do not have any Green Book. I will get it when I am finished paying the credit. Presently I still don't have any plate, not even a red plate. I will probably get the permanent plate in one month time. For now when I have been stopped by the police none has made any comment about it (I didn't even present my driving license or any document), they even complimented me how nice the bike was (Amazing Thailand)!! Now, our cases are very different because I am in the process of getting the plate and I can prove it. In your case if you can prove with official documents that your plate is being done I guess it wouldn't be a problem to drive around. That's my assumption.

Edited by Polanskiman
  • Like 1

Wrong. Law hasn't gone into effect, there's no enforcement in effect, and imported cars and bikes are still being registered. TiT wai.gif

Lots of experience you have right? What is the last time you try to register an imported second hand motorcycle? Did you ever did that?

Lots of experience you have right? What is the last time you try to register an imported second hand motorcycle? Did you ever did that?

TGIF Richard! burp.gif

I have friends who continue to import second hand Ducatis and KTMs and still have no problems getting them registered and plated. It takes about the same amount of time and money now as it did before. I thought you are "in the biz" so to speak. Why are you so ignorant of the status quo?

I recently bought a new PCX and picked up the Green Book and Sticker last week after waiting 45 days. The metal license plate will not be delivered until August or so says one of the Honda dealers in Chiang Mai. Apparently, there's quite a backlog on the production of the metal plates. So far I have had no problems with the regular road-side BiB stops, they seem to be more concerned with riders w/o helmets and front seat driver/passengers w/o seat belts-these tend to be "easy money". I think I'm one of many in the same situation. No red plate either...