Buckets Of Thai Coins

wana

I think I'd drop in any. Girley bar ,buy some beers ,dump the box on the bar top And ask some of the girls there to count it instead of whipping me at me connect four

Whip out the money bags get them to sort it out. Drop a few hundred baht of a tip and stumble to the next bank with my pretty bagged up coins

Thai. Girls are good at counting money

That's what I do though 20kg is a fair amount.

You could just do what I witnessed from some Thai people 4 days ago.

I was standing in the queue at the check out of the local Makro at peak hour,and in front was a Thai family with one of those flat loader trolleys completely loaded with noodle soups and related items,guess they owned a mom and pop shop. So after the check out was completed they handed over the money to the cashier.

Some 100 Bht notes,some 50 Bht notes. some 20 Bht notes and a lot of 10 and 5 baht coins.

Unbelievable but the cashier just counted them as if it was normal practice.

Strike a deal with the closest noodle hawker. With 10% commission I'd imagine they'd be happy and you could negotiate some free snacks into the deal as well. It's a good idea to be chummy with your food vendors.

Some banks refuse to take a bag full of coins. My coins vanish overnight from my desk. Of course my wife's piggy bank continues to gain weight. When her rather large piggy bank is full she gets rid of them by selling them to the local shopkeepers. The banks here refuse to take them. Her sister has the local little village shop and she takes the majority of them.

You could just do what I witnessed from some Thai people 4 days ago. I was standing in the queue at the check out of the local Makro at peak hour,and in front was a Thai family with one of those flat loader trolleys completely loaded with noodle soups and related items,guess they owned a mom and pop shop. So after the check out was completed they handed over the money to the cashier. Some 100 Bht notes,some 50 Bht notes. some 20 Bht notes and a lot of 10 and 5 baht coins. Unbelievable but the cashier just counted them as if it was normal practice.

And why not, money is money. If you're in such a hurry why would you go at peak hour?

You think things would have moved more efficiently if she'd made a fuss about it, that suddently large bills would have materialized out of mom and pop's purse?

I'm sure they're higher-value customers to Makro than you are, small retail is a key target of their volume-based business model, much more lucrative than individuals.

Go shop at Siam Paragon if quick checkout is that important to you. Or even better smile and relax, learn some jai yen yen while you're here.

My spare coins are kept in a basket at the front door. I use them when the ice cream man comes around the mooban and treat the kids. Unfortunately, Now everytime they hear the Ice cream man everyone runs to hangout in front of my house!

Pavlov, pavlov, now that rings a bell. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

You could just do what I witnessed from some Thai people 4 days ago. I was standing in the queue at the check out of the local Makro at peak hour,and in front was a Thai family with one of those flat loader trolleys completely loaded with noodle soups and related items,guess they owned a mom and pop shop. So after the check out was completed they handed over the money to the cashier. Some 100 Bht notes,some 50 Bht notes. some 20 Bht notes and a lot of 10 and 5 baht coins. Unbelievable but the cashier just counted them as if it was normal practice.

And why not, money is money. If you're in such a hurry why would you go at peak hour?

You think things would have moved more efficiently if she'd made a fuss about it, that suddently large bills would have materialized out of mom and pop's purse?

I'm sure they're higher-value customers to Makro than you are, small retail is a key target of their volume-based business model, much more lucrative than individuals.

Go shop at Siam Paragon if quick checkout is that important to you. Or even better smile and relax, learn some jai yen yen while you're here.

My spare coins are kept in a basket at the front door. I use them when the ice cream man comes around the mooban and treat the kids. Unfortunately, Now everytime they hear the Ice cream man everyone runs to hangout in front of my house!

Pavlov, pavlov, now that rings a bell. . .

You must qualify for the biggest Thai apologist ever or is that you just have a chip on your shoulder.

I'm sure you understand that paying a bill of a few thousand Baht in coins isn't a matter of a few minutes as all coins have to be put per 10/pcs in a seperate plastic bag and then stapled.Not really convenient in the limited space of a check out counter.

If this would have happened in a Western world Makro i'm sure they would have pushed just one button " cancel all sales",and told them to go change their small money at the service counter.

I'm sure Makro values their business much more then my small amount of purchases,but do you think that I was the only one who had to wait?There were many more customers with even bigger purchases then the one at the check out counter behind.

Anyone with just a grain of respect would have given their small coins to the service counter upon entering the shop,where they would have sorted out everything in the time that you are shopping,instead of demanding that everyone has to lose time because of yor stubborness

You can get rid of them pretty quickly at any 7-11 if you simply tape them up. A good excerise for the kids (or an employee you want to prank perhaps) to scotch tape them up into units of 10 Baht (for 1 Baht, 25 satang, and 50 satang coins), 100 Baht (for 5 and ten Baht coins), etc.

:)

My spare coins are kept in a basket at the front door. I use them when the ice cream man comes around the mooban and treat the kids.

Unfortunately, Now everytime they hear the Ice cream man everyone runs to hangout in front of my house!

yeah...if you are fortunate to have lots of kids around and you are an 'easy touch' then they will come wanting a few baht for ice cream and other khanom and then you just indicate the repository for the coins and they help themselves...I never have a problem with lots of coins as the arrangement is 'self cleaning', so to speak...

You can get rid of them pretty quickly at any 7-11 if you simply tape them up. A good excerise for the kids (or an employee you want to prank perhaps) to scotch tape them up into units of 10 Baht (for 1 Baht, 25 satang, and 50 satang coins), 100 Baht (for 5 and ten Baht coins), etc.

smile.png

Roll them in stacks of 10 coins with adhesive tape and just spend them a bit at a time.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely don't put tape on them. It is an absolute bugger to get off and the adhesive gum remaining is a PITA.

Bag 'em instead! thumbsup.gif

The two mysteries of Thai life for which many think there is an obvious answer, but there ain't:

1. Where to buy quality shoe laces?

2. What bank will count and exchange bulk coins for paper money with minimal hassle?

Edited by ricklev

7/11 or similar about 1/4 a kilo at a time during a non busy period and they will love you. Simply drop on the counter to count and wander of to pick up the beer or whatever from the fridge while they do it. Just saw it happen while getting refills.

If you want to make it easy break up into different denominations, but they will count anyway. The TGF empties her piggy bank of my change (women the same the world over) and sorts it into little bags of different denominations, which they then count, probably makes it a bit quicker and easier.

In Oz the banks have coin counting machines, but you have to have an account with that bank to use them or some ripoff fee applies. Possibly the same in Thailand, though I have never seen them here.

Cheers

Cheers

7/11 or similar about 1/4 a kilo at a time during a non busy period and they will love you. Simply drop on the counter to count and wander of to pick up the beer or whatever from the fridge while they do it. Just saw it happen while getting refills.

If you want to make it easy break up into different denominations, but they will count anyway. The TGF empties her piggy bank of my change (women the same the world over) and sorts it into little bags of different denominations, which they then count, probably makes it a bit quicker and easier.

In Oz the banks have coin counting machines, but you have to have an account with that bank to use them or some ripoff fee applies. Possibly the same in Thailand, though I have never seen them here.

Cheers

Cheers

in the uk or Ireland in Tescos they have a machine which does it all for you

and prints out a voucher to spend like a cheque

you can dump pocket fulls in and it count and sorts in seconds

probably break it if you dumped in 20 kilos in one go though :D

In Thailand 7/11 the coin counters wear short skirts and lipstick. Last week in Oz I dumped about $400 into a mechanical version within the load limits and it promptly jammed. I know which type I prefer.

Cheers

We also have a coin jar that we dump loose change into and normally cash it is a couple of times a year.

We always do it at Bangkok Bank where we have an account. There policy is anything under 2,000 thb, no fee, after that they take a percentage.

So we normally count at home and bring in less than that when we go.

They are happy to count it up, but will really appreciate it if you come in during a time when there are not too busy. If they are busy, they will apolzgize, but ask for your understanding to wait a bit or will recomend a better time to come in when they are not normally busy for you to return.

We normally just deposit into the saving account, so not normally urgent.

I would just recomend talking to your bank and ask them their policy and when would be a good time to bring the coins in when they are not busy. Also ask them if they have a max amount that can be turned in without any fee and if they prefer the coins to be bagged or if they prefer them to be loose. (different banks have different policies on this)

All I know is I put my coins in a little tin every week it is empty every week and the wife's mentally challenged nephew plays a lot of games at a arcade, Sure saves me a lot of work and makes me feel good to see the kid enjoy himself,

• Like 1

You must qualify for the biggest Thai apologist ever or is that you just have a chip on your shoulder.

No I honestly think it's silly to consider your time to be so valuable, and if you do then why not go when the place isn't busy?

If this would have happened in a Western world Makro i'm sure they would have pushed just one button " cancel all sales",and told them to go change their small money at the service counter.

Not my experience in the US, fellow customers might all B&M, maybe switch to different lanes but at a successful retail firm the well-trained staff would smile and take care of the very valuable customer or get fired.

Anyone with just a grain of respect would have given their small coins to the service counter upon entering the shop,where they would have sorted out everything in the time that you are shopping,instead of demanding that everyone has to lose time

I completely agree, but think it's sheer thoughtlessness, being inconsiderate, or perhaps stupidity.

However TIT if you've been here a while you should IMO have learned by now it's not worth getting your blood pressure up about totally insignificant events like this.

No I honestly think it's silly to consider your time to be so valuable, and if you do then why not go when the place isn't busy?

Not my experience in the US, fellow customers might all B&M, maybe switch to different lanes but at a successful retail firm the well-trained staff would smile and take care of the very valuable customer or get fired.

Anyone with just a grain of respect would have given their small coins to the service counter upon entering the shop,where they would have sorted out everything in the time that you are shopping,instead of demanding that everyone has to lose time

I completely agree, but think it's sheer thoughtlessness, being inconsiderate, or perhaps stupidity.

However TIT if you've been here a while you should IMO have learned by now it's not worth getting your blood pressure up about totally insignificant events like this.

I wanted to reply but just got informed who you are in real life,and believe it or not we had a personal conversation a few years ago in a bar, so I take back my comments that you must be a the biggest Thai apologist.

I not gonna waste my time on you anymore since I know from that day for a fact that you have a chip on your shoulder.

I wanted to reply but just got informed who you are in real life,and believe it or not we had a personal conversation a few years ago in a bar, so I take back my comments that you must be a the biggest Thai apologist.

I not gonna waste my time on you anymore since I know from that day for a fact that you have a chip on your shoulder.

Really!

I'd be very interested to find out who told you what, or at least what they may have said. And what sort of chip might that be?

Perhaps a PM would be in order?

I haven't sat in a bar for many many years, and as far as I know have never met in person any one here on TV.

And just in case you mistakenly took offence, I was using these adjectives:

thoughtlessness, being inconsiderate, or perhaps stupidity.

to describe the people that were annoying you, not you yourself, the worst thing I accused you of was impatience.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

All I know is I put my coins in a little tin every week it is empty every week and the wife's mentally challenged nephew plays a lot of games at a arcade, Sure saves me a lot of work and makes me feel good to see the kid enjoy himself,

Thats a brilliant idea.. im going with my 20kg of coins and im going to master the mechanical claw soft toy machine!

my new found hobby.. you heard it here first!

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of a time many years ago..

A friend and I had amassed not a huge amount, but a cup of 25 satang and 50 satang coins.

We went to the nearby 7-11 with our cup of coins and made a few simple purchases – much to the horror of the 7-11 attendant my friend handed over the cup of coins, some 10 mins later the 7-11 attendant handed over the cup with the remaining satangs as change.

My turn….. the 7-11 attendant didn’t look at all impressed and after less than a minute deemed the amount in the cup to be perfect, exactly matching the price of my purchase.

Now – this might appear a little mean, but at the time, 7-11 was the only place I shopped which gave out the satang’s as change.