Carl'S Jr.

arkom

To be fair, the base burger starts at about 159b... And that's for beef imported from Australia...

The old "imported Australian beef". I have no doubt that Aussies do in fact have great beef.... something seems to happen to it between here and Aussie land though. Stop giving aussie beef a bad name.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the base burger starts at about 159b... And that's for beef imported from Australia...

The old "imported Australian beef". I have no doubt that Aussies do in fact have great beef.... something seems to happen to it between here and Aussie land though. Stop giving aussie beef a bad name.

I thought it was from Morton's or Ruth's Criss ☺

I'm sure we will see these type of joints move here more and more. This would have to be one of the only places on earth you can charge ~6 dollars for a really bad hamburger without anybody knowing the difference.

Edited by isawasnake

No, actually there are a whole bunch of other supposedly "gourmet" burger places around BKK, and other regular places that just serve burgers, that charge MORE than that for really bad burgers.

In the spectrum of burgers sold in BKK, Carl's hardly fits into the "really bad" category.

• Like 1

Went there on Friday (Thaniya branch) and had the Big Carl burger. Think I have found the best option. Big, not too much sauce, unhealthy amount of cheese, reasonably hot. Should satisfy the monthly cravings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those who are AIS mobile phone service users:

The Carl's outlets have been having a promotion for AIS customers that makes for a not-bad meal. To activate it, you need to call the number and code on the little AIS sign display at their counter, and then you'll get an AIS code via SMS that the Carl's staff then write down as part of your order.

The promo is for 350 baht total, you get a jalapeno burger combo, with the fries and soft drink of your choice upsized to their large sizes, as well as their chicken jalapeno sandwich.

It works out to be about a 20 or 25 baht savings over ordering the same items normally, which would yield a 370 or 375 baht price tag.

Since the drink is unlimited/refillable, the wife and I shared one of these orders last time we were there. I had the burger, she had the chicken sandwich, and we shared the large fries and large drink. Not bad at 350b for lunch for two.

post-58284-0-39015100-1367640110_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. McD has a very extensive delivery 24h/7 zone. I just asked BK the other time and they said I was out of their delivery map.

I really appreciate the fact I can get delivered any time for only 40b. Perhaps other competitors need to look at McD model to attract more customers...

I hadn't even realized they were opening a new branch in the Nana shopping center. Rarely go there anymore since it became a kind of Middle East bazaar...

But I passed by there today, and although I didn't go in, the lights were on and it looked like the CJ's there was open...

Betcha the Burger King folks there are crying on their fries... ;-)

It's the best fast food burger I know of in BKK... or should I say burgers... since one advantage of CJ's they have a whole menu of different beef burger choices. IMHO, far better than Burger King and McDonalds, though I like BK a lot back in the U.S., just not here.

However, lately, there are a growing range of burger oriented sit-down restaurants, and I haven't tried all of them to be able to compare. But a couple I have tried (Firehouse and Bangkok Burger Co.) have been disappointing. I haven't tried, but would hope for better, from places like Iron Fairies or Fat Gutz.

It's the best fast food burger I know of in BKK... or should I say burgers... since one advantage of CJ's they have a whole menu of different beef burger choices. IMHO, far better than Burger King and McDonalds, though I like BK a lot back in the U.S., just not here..

Great! I will try this place.

And yeah, I know what you mean about BK being worse here.. It's the same thing with Pizza Hut.

Why does everything have to be worse here?? I used to think that chain restaurants are suposed to have the same quality and same food, all over the world. But it seems I was wrong. :/ Edited by ricku

Next time you go to KFC and see "spicy chicken with rice" on the menu, which I believe is KFC Thailand's version of chicken larb, then you'll know you're no longer in Kansas! biggrin.png

FWIW, the Carl's Jr.s here seem to be doing a reasonably respectable job of mirroring their burgers in the U.S. The beef served here allegedly is coming from Australia not the U.S., as I recall. Dunno if that's a good or bad change. And of course, CJ's here doesn't have any salad bars or any breakfast menu/items, at least as yet.

But the matching menu items here on the Carl's menu at least reasonably resemble (in food terms) those same menu items back in the U.S., as far as my experience is concerned. Sadly, the same cannot be said for BK here, as some of their quite decent fast food burgers in the U.S. end up being served here as stale, pale immitations of the real thing. And I gather Pizza Hut here vs. there is similar.

Stopped by the Nana Square Carl's Jr. tonight at dinner time, 6 pm on a Sunday, and the wife and I were the only customers during our meal there. But they are newly opened and it was a Sunday.

At any rate, the burger and fries was perfectly good and they accept payment via bank card, same as the Carl's Jr. at Saladaeng (and I assume the others). Also serve mugs of draft beer as well as milk shakes, and their regular menu of burgers.

The location, of course, is right at the corner of Suk Rd and Soi 3, and the Carl's is right next door to the existing Burger King there. The layout of the Carl's, while perfectly serviceable, is one of the odder ones I've seen:

The front of the restaurant has a window and faces out on the main road. It's a small room with just two tables and a counter of chairs, as well as the counter for placing orders and getting drinks. And that's it. Then, inside the mall's adjoining courtyard area, they've taken up a good portion of the ground floor with Carl's Jr. tables and bench seating. And then, along the back wall of the mall, they have an entirely separate area behind an interior wall that is their kitchen for preparing the food.

On the tables, they also had a card showing an update of their location locations in Thailand at present: Nana Square, Suk Soi 24, Soi Thaniya, Mega Bangna and Central Festival Pattaya.

post-58284-0-11527900-1369572338_thumb.j

post-58284-0-59704500-1369572321_thumb.j post-58284-0-89998600-1369572323_thumb.j

post-58284-0-63215200-1369572327_thumb.j post-58284-0-30950400-1369572330_thumb.j

Meanwhile, the Burger King there is doing their best to get noticed.

post-58284-0-36994800-1369572337_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Went thursday. not impressed.

Maybe I prefer food cooked by a chef, not a ryer or a grill.

Well la tee dah Mr. High So, perhaps you can reminisce about your experience of slumming at cj's next time you have champagne and caviar on the terrace with Chaz and Muffyclap2.gif

• Like 1

Well la tee dah Mr. High So, perhaps you can reminisce about your experience of slumming at cj's next time you have champagne and caviar on the terrace with Chaz and Muffyclap2.gif
Sorry, but tastier food is available on every street in BKK. Maybe shoulda said cook not chef, but the food was not good. Nothing hi-so about wanting some taste. Maybe chain-restaurants and processed food do not appeal to all.

BTW, who are chaz and muffy?

Edited by Soi Sauce

Sorry, but tastier food is available on every street in BKK. Maybe shoulda said cook not chef, but the food was not good. Nothing hi-so about wanting some taste. Maybe chain-restaurants and processed food do not appeal to all.

BTW, who are chaz and muffy?

Not that either is a healthy option, but I'm pretty sure that the health standards at Carl Jr is miles above street food.

Forego the processed food for chemically laden meat, sub par rice and vegetables at a stall with no running water or sanitation period? I think notblink.png

I will continue to cook my own food and run out for a burger once in awhile

Well la tee dah Mr. High So, perhaps you can reminisce about your experience of slumming at cj's next time you have champagne and caviar on the terrace with Chaz and Muffy.

Cooked by a Chef. giggle.gif

One wonders why you went to a chain restaurant and ate "processed food"...

Edited by SteeleJoe

Family (2 Americans, 1 Thai, 2 halflings) went to CJ at Mega yesterday. All agreed it was pretty tasty and quite good for fast food.

FWIW: Went to Bangkok Burger (also at Mega) about a month ago, didn't think it was all that much better - good but not enough to justify it's price.