Red Shirts Call For Justice

Lite Beer

Red shirts call for justice

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

30182394-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Leaders mark 2010 crackdown; voice upset at govt inaction; Ratchaprasong crowd estimated at tens of thousands; CentralWorld, Gaysorn forced to close

Up to 50,000 red shirts flooded the Ratchaprasong in-tersection yesterday to mark the second anniversary of the deadly crackdown on red-shirt protesters by the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration in 2010, which ended

in 93 deaths and more than 2,000 injuries on all sides, most of them red shirts.

They called for justice for those who were killed in April and May two years ago, and for the release of dozens of red shirts still in jail, mostly for defying the emergency decree or on charges of setting fire to buildings in Bangkok and beyond in the aftermath of the crackdown. Some also called for the release of lese majeste detainees and the reform or abolition of the law.

The mood was different from a similar event held one year ago, as the Pheu Thai Party is now in power - thanks to the red shirts' support. Some of the group's leaders are now MPs and one is a minister.

"Last year there was still a climate of fear. Today, we can freely express ourselves," said Veera Siriprasert, a red-shirt medical doctor and radiologist and a member of the Red Chorus, a group of red-shirt singers.

discontent with government

Veera added, however, that the reds had also gathered in high numbers because of the perception that the Yingluck Shinawatra administration isn't doing anything to democratise the country, and was concentrating instead on economic issues.

"How can we reconcile when there're still distortions [about what happened two years ago]?" asked Veera, adding that the government's stance to not touch the lese majeste law is also a source of disappointment among red shirts.

Thousands swamped the paved area outside CentralWorld, which was partly burned down two years ago. The crowds forced the mall to shut down at 3pm along with the highbrow Gaysorn Plaza, which is located on the other side of the intersection.

"People are here today because they feel justice has yet to prevail," said Red Sunday group leader Sombat Boon-ngam-anong. Sombat said dozens of red shirts are still in jail, while today protesters of other political colours are out on bail and people like Abhisit and his deputy for security, Suthep Thaugsuban, are free and talking on television.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-20

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they get it, they will call for murder (again).

"......Yingluck Shinawatra administration isn't doing anything to democratise the country, and was concentrating instead on economic issues."

Consider ourselves lucky. If she did to democracy what she's doing to the economy...................

• Like 1

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

The mood was different from a similar event held one year ago, as the Pheu Thai Party is now in power - thanks to the red shirts' support. Some of the group's leaders are now MPs and one is a minister.

"Last year there was still a climate of fear. Today, we can freely express ourselves," said Veera Siriprasert.

Umm ... One year ago, PTP were in power.

Sent from my shoe phone

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

"Last year there was still a climate of fear. Today, we can freely express ourselves," said Veera Siriprasert.

Sent from my shoe phone

Really....................?

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

Sent from my shoe phone

In what country?

/ Priceless

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

Sent from my shoe phone

cobblers

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

Sent from my shoe phone

Oops ... I was thinking September 19.

My bad ...

Sent from my shoe phone

Last night,the fiery speeches of the red shirts calling for justice and investigation of the deaths at Rachaprasong contrasted sharply with Thaksin's call for reconciliation and to accept what happened.

In other words Thaksin's feels the red shirts have served their purpose, some died, well that was necessary to swing Thai\ world opinion, and besides their families are getting a massive 7.4 million baht in compensation. Plus further probes could find all sorts of nasty things: possibilities such as stolen army rifles being used by black shirts, renegade soldiers working for the UDD, so PLEASE STOP ANY FURTHER INVESTIGATION,

Let's just forget what happened so long as Thaksin can come home- that's all that matters for one of the world's greatest liars.

To sweeten the pot, news this afternoon reveals that the Cabinet today approved a proposal that the 7.4 million baht they receive in compensation is now tax-exempt.

Last night,the fiery speeches of the red shirts calling for justice and investigation of the deaths at Rachaprasong contrasted sharply with Thaksin's call for reconciliation and to accept what happened.

In other words Thaksin's feels the red shirts have served their purpose, some died, well that was necessary to swing Thai\ world opinion, and besides their families are getting a massive 7.4 million baht in compensation. Plus further probes could find all sorts of nasty things: possibilities such as stolen army rifles being used by black shirts, renegade soldiers working for the UDD, so PLEASE STOP ANY FURTHER INVESTIGATION,

Let's just forget what happened so long as Thaksin can come home- that's all that matters for one of the world's greatest liars.

I don't quarrel with your comment that Thaksin and at least an element of the red shirts want different things.If I may say so it is a rather commonplace observation with the homecoming/reconciliation/justice dynamic having been the subject of public and private discussion for months.

However I doubt whether Thaksin is as concerned as you suggest or would like to think about further probes.He wants a settlement, or rather a final settlement since some of the key ingredients are already in place including the return under the Abhisit government of part of the Thaksin fortune.It is generally assumed that there were renegade soldiers (some would describe them more generously) working with the UDD - so that is hardly a surprise.As for the black shirts they remain mysterious despite all efforts to track them down and discover their origin.If there was ever a "smoking gun", surely the black shirts were it - and yet the enemies of Thaksin have come up with zilch.You assume I suppose Thaksin was the funding source along with many bar flies, but the fact remains that you actually haven't the faintest idea - along with the rest of us though we may have our suspicions.I'm afraid I find your attitude slightly hysterical but it may be you simply wish to distract attention from those army and political figures who would genuinely kee taek if there was a thorough inquiry: they nearly vaporised when the decent but provisional HRW report was published.

As it happens they are unlikely to have to face up to this nightmare because Thaksin's interest is shutting down the investigation is aligned with theirs.So I don't deny Thaksin's deep cynicism or the betrayal of the redshirts reasonable demand for a just accounting.But your suggestion that Thaksin's motivation is fear of any investigation outcome doesn't really convince.

I don't quarrel with your comment that Thaksin and at least an element of the red shirts want different things.If I may say so it is a rather commonplace observation with the homecoming/reconciliation/justice dynamic having been the subject of public and private discussion for months.

However I doubt whether Thaksin is as concerned as you suggest or would like to think about further probes.He wants a settlement, or rather a final settlement since some of the key ingredients are already in place including the return under the Abhisit government of part of the Thaksin fortune.It is generally assumed that there were renegade soldiers (some would describe them more generously) working with the UDD - so that is hardly a surprise.As for the black shirts they remain mysterious despite all efforts to track them down and discover their origin.If there was ever a "smoking gun", surely the black shirts were it - and yet the enemies of Thaksin have come up with zilch.You assume I suppose Thaksin was the funding source along with many bar flies, but the fact remains that you actually haven't the faintest idea - along with the rest of us though we may have our suspicions.I'm afraid I find your attitude slightly hysterical but it may be you simply wish to distract attention from those army and political figures who would genuinely kee taek if there was a thorough inquiry: they nearly vaporised when the decent but provisional HRW report was published.

As it happens they are unlikely to have to face up to this nightmare because Thaksin's interest is shutting down the investigation is aligned with theirs.So I don't deny Thaksin's deep cynicism or the betrayal of the redshirts reasonable demand for a just accounting.But your suggestion that Thaksin's motivation is fear of any investigation outcome doesn't really convince.

Why worry when the morally malleable Tharit is in charge of the DSI? If he can change the definition of perjury, something as complicated as this will be easy to obfuscate and distort..

I suggest the court's seizure of 1.4 billion dollars of Thaksin's money in February 2010 gave Thaksin ample incentive to support the red shirt riots to retrieve his money just 2 months later

Do you think the renegade soldiers, which you say are generally assumed to have been working with Thaksin, could have shot the red shirts to discredit the army?

What is a bar fly and why would they be a funding source along with Thaksin?

Apisit and Suthep have stated several times they are willing to go to court regarding Rachaprasong, so why is Thaksin so unwilling to let the truth come out?

• Like 2

I suggest the court's seizure of 1.4 billion dollars of Thaksin's money in February 2010 gave Thaksin ample incentive to support the red shirt riots to retrieve his money just 2 months later

Do you think the renegade soldiers, which you say are generally assumed to have been working with Thaksin, could have shot the red shirts to discredit the army?

Apisit and Suthep have stated several times they are willing to go to court regarding Rachaprasong, so why is Thaksin so unwilling to let the truth come out?

You seem a little confused if I may say so.

1.In the context of the deal with Thaksin the partial return of funds was unrelated to the events in early 2010.If anything they surely hurt his case.But who knows exactly why the elite decided to return the money?

2.Please re-read the reference to bar flies.It doesn't refer to funding sources but is simply shorthand for those who indulge in fairly insubstantive Daily Mail/National Enquirer chatter which takes place at bars sometimes (and elsewhere).

3.No I don't think renegade soldiers could have shot redshirts to discredit the army (See note above about mindless chatter).

4.I'm sure have all have skeletons in their cupboards.But I don't see that Thaksin is any less keen to bury the truth than the two you mention.None have a good record for honesty.

The only true justice would be to hold the red/black shirts & Thaksin responsible for all the deaths in the failed coup attempt of 2010. When you bring weapons on a peace protest, it is NOT a peace protest, it is an assault, a crime and they are responsible for ALL the deaths that then ensued.

Red shirts call for justice under the misapprehension that they did nothing wrong. You might think that when they see their brothers in arms getting rest of life sentences, they might understand. Here's a hint - Thida's opinion is worth SFA compared to a judge's.

Perhaps when/if fat-arse Arisman and the grinning idiot Jatuporn get an "Advance to Go" on their next reincarnation, they might stop calling for justice and start calling for forgiveness. It's a pity that under the law, ignorance is no excuse.

That's a easy one he knows the truth and they don't.

What do they propose would be justice for the two big businesses that had to shut down because of them?

Will they compensate them?

Simple answer NO they are red shirts above the law and lesser mortals. If you don't believe me just ask them.

• Like 1

To sweeten the pot, news this afternoon reveals that the Cabinet today approved a proposal that the 7.4 million baht they receive in compensation is now tax-exempt.

Oh what a surpriselaugh.png

I thought the tax exemption was for all victims of political violence plus those affected by the troubles in the South.

• Like 1

Yet they couldn't do that with a Gov to Gov procurement of PC tablets for school kids.

The more the Government mention figures like 7.4 million baht the more those that believe they are getting it will be frothing at the mouth. I wonder how many reds took their elderly relatives to the protest on Saturday, hoping for an armed intervention so that they could get a little 'inheritance'. In a country where compensation for a death would ordinarily be in the region of 50k to 200 k baht, this 7.4M each is going to cause a LOT of problems in the red villages when some of the poor receive such mega money whilst the others do not. Thais are not exactly unknown for their resentment of those that receive money are they. I am not saying that victims families should not be duly compensated (and I hope that includes the families of the soldiers that were killed) for their loss, but the way that the Government is handling it is so blindingly politically obvious they are courting big trouble. So, if the Government don't pay up there will be trouble soon, and when they do pay up, there will be trouble soon!

I thought the tax exemption was for all victims of political violence plus those affected by the troubles in the South.

It is... but the tax exemption for the Southern victims is just not quite as "sweet" as it is for the other compensations (apologies for quoting the wrong amount above)

Red Shirt compensations proposed = 7.75 million

Deep South compensations proposed = 1.5 million

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1