Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

I'm amazed that any western person would eat in a place like Sizzler' while in Thailand then claim it was expensive compared to the UK. Sizzler is not Thai food, not sure it even counts as food (yuck).

I can get fish and chips in Thailand for 125bht, Burger and chips for 99bht, even these are expensive IMHO, but not Thai food.

You should be comparing the same quality of local foods in similar places in the two countries to compare prices.

So a normal mid-price Thai dish (eg Pla Tab Tim Tot) in a quality restaurant in Thailand should be compared to a normal mid-price English dish (eg Roast beef dinner) in a quality restaurant in England or mid-price Thai dish (eg Pad Thai) in Thai bar Vs mid-price English dish (eg chicken in a basket) in English pub.

Not Sizzler in Thailand Vs Motel food in the UK, for gods sake get a grip.

Why not make some real world comparisons rather than spouting your own hearsay. This thread needs something factual.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed that any western person would eat in a place like Sizzler' while in Thailand then claim it was expensive compared to the UK. Sizzler is not Thai food, not sure it even counts as food (yuck).

I can get fish and chips in Thailand for 125bht, Burger and chips for 99bht, even these are expensive IMHO, but not Thai food.

You should be comparing the same quality of local foods in similar places in the two countries to compare prices.

So a normal mid-price Thai dish (eg Pla Tab Tim Tot) in a quality restaurant in Thailand should be compared to a normal mid-price English dish (eg Roast beef dinner) in a quality restaurant in England or mid-price Thai dish (eg Pad Thai) in Thai bar Vs mid-price English dish (eg chicken in a basket) in English pub.

Why do this when i explicitly stated that on the main street of Montreal i can get better quality thai food in larger portion for the same price that i would get it in shophouse restaurant.

Everything in thai's large cities is overpriced. Everything might sound cheap but those 40-100baht meals, i will need 2-3 of them to get the same nutriments i would in a normal cheap meals back home. Problem is, after 1 of those cheap meals i am totally fed up with eating food that could be compared to what a 3year old makes with a play-dough oven. Dont tell me to order Peeset.. 30mins later my stomach is roaring. Keep in mind im only 75kg and very fit. Not a fat lardass.

Edited by Hostile17

Perhaps you need to read more carefully, I did not mention that Sizzler was expensive, your words not mine. I was just comparing prices but perhaps that is too complicated for you. Anyway what is wrong with Sizzler, excellent fresh salads, imported steaks that taste very good? Very nice for a change as also Premiers Inn's Table Table Restaurant chain, it has won a few awards, perhaps when you visit the UK you eat at the Ritz for lunch but when we are out shopping such lunches at Sizzler and Table Table are very tasty and good value for money. I do not know what you gripe is anyway or perhaps it is that you do not actually eat at the Ritz and cannot afford Sizzler. It is usually found that people who slag on certain places are those that are envious in that they would like to eat there but it costs too much. This thread was about; is Thailand cheaper, but the comparisons that you use do not stack up as you have no examples just hot air. Each to his own, you can eat your food that you can afford and enjoy, no accounting for taste, I will continue doing as I wish and enjoy. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us with your superior and vast knowledge of food and international prices, on a level playing field with equivalent Thai dishes. I await with bated breath!

• Like 1

perhaps it is that you do not actually eat at the Ritz and cannot afford Sizzler.

I used to regularly eat at Claridge's and the Ramada in London, they served very good English food.

Now I live in Thailand and I eat in places that serve good Thai food.

Sizzler is overpriced junk food, but if you are not adventurous enough to eat Thai food in Thai restaurants with menus in Thai script, then your loss. I suppose many expats reach their safe-limit quite quickly. Beef is not popular in a Buddhist nation, but the pork served here is good. Those who can adapt to local produce save most money. But I guess there are always some who think it is smart to order strawberries out-of-season.

Comparison of street food Doner Kebab at 2.25UKP Vs Graprow Moo at 25bht

Comparison of pub food Fish and Chips at 4.99UKP Vs Pad Thai 50bht

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I rent a teak 2 bdrm, single bath, ktchn, lrg lvng rm, monster storage, private parking and lrg yard and garden for 1000 US a year. Anything comperable in southern California would be closer to $2500 a month. Just sayin'.

I currently live in one of the more expensive areas in the US and I've ran the numbers more then a few times. Living in Thailand would cost about 1/3 - 1/2 of what it costs in the US, the problem is my salary would be about 1/10th of what I make in the US.

To get an idea, I was paying $2000/mo (~60,000 baht) for a 1bd apartment, I moved to a bad area last month and I've lowered my rent to $1200/mo, you get used to the gunshots and so far everyone seems to be good about leaving personal property alone. Buying a house is out of the question because a SFH starts at around $500,000 (15m baht). I could probably get into a small condo for around $300,000.

I pay another $450/mo for my car, add in maybe $400/mo for utilities and $500/mo for food.

All in all if I could get an expat package that pays even 80% of my current salary it wouldn't be a question, I would be on the next flight. However, given my current job options in Thailand are limited to teaching english, math or physics I don't think it's a good career move smile.png

If that is the costs for the most expensive area in Us donot move to Canada that is survival costs in Canada No frills. That is cheap living believe me.

However, when you are retired in Canada (British Columbia) you pay only $64 per month (for a single person) for health care (covering every possible health mishap that can befall a human being, with occasional lineups, admittedly). That compares to (what?) 5 trillion dollars per month in UncleSamland.

Edited by blazes
  • Like 1

We obviously have to seperate this between Europeans and Americans since Euros pay more for everything (besides healthcare) which they love telling you is FREE... just don't ask them "If it is FREE, how do the doctors get paid?"... From the government. "And where does the government get the money to pay them?".

only an utterly stupid "Euro" would claim that health care in Europe is free and i suspect that the other moronic "Euro" answers are nothing but inventions of either envious or uninformed Americans tongue.png.

healthcare in most (not all) European countries is not free but paid for by mandatory deductions (just like taxes) from salaries, wages and pensions if the "Euro" has no private health insurance. the average premium is 17%, half of it is paid by the individual, the other half by his/her employer.

big advantage: non-employed family members such as spouse and children of a working individual are insured for free or in some cases a rather small surcharge.

perhaps it is that you do not actually eat at the Ritz and cannot afford Sizzler.

I used to regularly eat at Claridge's and the Ramada in London, they served very good English food.

Now I live in Thailand and I eat in places that serve good Thai food.

Sizzler is overpriced junk food, but if you are not adventurous enough to eat Thai food in Thai restaurants with menus in Thai script, then your loss. I suppose many expats reach their safe-limit quite quickly. Beef is not popular in a Buddhist nation, but the pork served here is good. Those who can adapt to local produce save most money. But I guess there are always some who think it is smart to order strawberries out-of-season.

Comparison of street food Doner Kebab at 2.25UKP Vs Graprow Moo at 25bht

Comparison of pub food Fish and Chips at 4.99UKP Vs Pad Thai 50bht

Sorry Tommo but I again have to say that you either misread or do not understand English writing very well. Nowhere in my post did I say that I do not like Thai food. You jump to many wrong conclusions. I enjoy and eat a variety of Thai dishes as I do with Chinese, Indian, Japanese as I spent some time in these countries in my younger and working days and also most international dishes. I of course still enjoy the food of my country of birth and it is included in my diet of favourite foods. The examples that you give in a very poor attempt to get yourself out of the hole that you yourself dug is comparing apples with pears. It is no good comparing items that are not like for like which is why the informal method for cost comparisons use such items as a Big Mac (known as the big Max Index) Starbucks Coffee etc. But nothing is foolproof and such items are only a quide. You two examples are laughable and I think the correct spelling is Krapow Moo. However the Thread was about 'Is it cheaper in Thailand' and solicits such opinion from TV members and your direct attempt to insult another members eating habits brings nothing to the thread and shows a degree on your part of jealousy, envy and ignorance of what other people may or may not enjoy.

........ and I think the correct spelling is Krapow Moo.

Unfortunately I can't use the correct spelling as Thai script is only allowed in the Thai language forum.

But it definitely starts with the letter 'Gaw Gai' (I love the spelling police that clearly can't even read Thai)

PS, I don't eat at McDonolds, or drink coffee at Starbucks. Faceless corporations like these (and Sizzler) are the shame of the world.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

........ and I think the correct spelling is Krapow Moo.

Unfortunately I can't use the correct spelling as Thai script is only allowed in the Thai language forum.

But it definitely starts with the letter 'Gaw Gai'

(I love the spelling police that clearly can't even read Thai)

cheesy.gifmfr_closed1.gif I cannot afford to break anymore ribs!

As a rule, if I see an EPL footballer rock up in a club where I am, I get up and leave.

Mate, what would you do if you went to a club here in BKK and met someone from the Thai Premiere League. Some of these players are Afs.

Well I doubt I'd recognize any Thai Premier League player.

Back in London, there's kinda no mistaking Cristiano Ronaldo or Ashley Cole

Ronaldo is driving his Bentley around London these days, is he?

Could have sworn I saw him the other day driving up the motorway to Malaga.

I guess Montreal is behind other canadian cities(except vancouver which is suposed to be amazing to live in) and a few other cities because of who makes the list(snobs and fat bloggers who've never left their small town). But pretty much any canadian city will be cheaper than bangkok/pattaya/phuket and offer everything in better quality. Also you're never more than 35mins by car from an amazing scenery/trekking spot/top notch mountain anywhere in canada.

Everyone i see defending thailand in most threads are either germans or from the UK.. Aren't these the 2 western countries with the worst/least culture? I have never heard anyone wanting to visit those countries for more than a week each, after that they've seen everything and are quite bored with it.

freezing weather.

Either way, he knows jack shit about the EPL !

You're right I know fugg all about the EPL - I detest football - but I knew what Ronaldo and Cole looked like.

What sport do you like? Tiddly-winks?

PS, I don't eat at McDonolds, or drink coffee at Starbucks. Faceless corporations like these (and Sizzler) are the shame of the world.

That is very impressive man. It is also a good idea to boycott Western-educated doctors and medical practices as the whole thing is a gigantic capitalist marketing scam.

hippie.gif

Where is Montreal?

I think its a place where you need a snow shovel in the winter and you can build a snow man in the garden too if that is a hobby of yours. thumbsup.gif

Didn't it once top the 'Most Boring cities in the World" poll?

No, that was Manchester, UK.

• Like 1

I guess Montreal is behind other canadian cities(except vancouver which is suposed to be amazing to live in) and a few other cities because of who makes the list(snobs and fat bloggers who've never left their small town). But pretty much any canadian city will be cheaper than bangkok/pattaya/phuket and offer everything in better quality. Also you're never more than 35mins by car from an amazing scenery/trekking spot/top notch mountain anywhere in canada.

Everyone i see defending thailand in most threads are either germans or from the UK.. Aren't these the 2 western countries with the worst/least culture? I have never heard anyone wanting to visit those countries for more than a week each, after that they've seen everything and are quite bored with it.

As a Canadian, I'd have to say you're full of merde. No city in Ca is cheaper than any city in LoS.

As for UK and Deutschland: ever heard of Shakespeare, Tallis, Elgar, Thomas Mann, Beethoven and Bach, to name a minuscule number of cultural icons by any global standard. (Granted there has also been Tony Bliar and Mr A Hilter.)

Whereas Canada can offer...erm....erm...well, how about, erm....

• Like 1

Having lived in Phuket for over a year, it became increasing expensive over that year (NB there was little culture to be experienced). Over development meant that prop prices increased a lot. Food costs increased sharply (but that is a fact globally).

After being in Chiang Mai - that is when I realised that Phuket was seriously overpriced.

If you live the local way of like - i.e. food, then cost of living is cheaper, but if you insist on living the expat life e.g. eat cereals, good meat (e.g. steak) or even corned beef (380 Baht!) then your money wont last.

There are parts of UK you can live in that are comparable in prices to Phuket, but of course you wont get the beautiful weather or beaches....

Just to point out.

500g packets of Kellogs Cornflakes in Mackro Thailand and Tesco Thailand are same price as Tesco UK (99bht or 1.98UKP.

Check it out for yourself online at tesco.com

You actually admit to eating Kellog's Cornflakes?

I probably spend the same but get a lot more for it in Thailand but overall its a lot cheaper here than back in the UK.

2 bed condo in fairly central area of capital city Bangkok: 30,000 baht

For 30,000 baht (£600) in London I would be lucky to get a room in a shared house

I didn't have a car back home and don't have one here as taxis are cheap here.

Even going to a good Western restaurant here is cheaper than going to a good western restaurant back in the UK.

Electronics are more expensive here as you don't get the online deals and sales like you do in the UK. Most things in Thailand seem to sell at RRP although I hardly buy any electronics as condo comes with most stuff.

I had a maid/cleaner back home and have one here and although back home they were much better here they are much cheaper.

The think that makes Thailand cheaper is you can have a cheap week if you want and eat cheaply and not do much and still have nice food and maybe go to the cinema and only spend a few quid. Back home if you wanted a cheap week you'd be eating super noodles and sitting in the dark with the lights off!

That is very impressive man. It is also a good idea to boycott Western-educated doctors and medical practices as the whole thing is a gigantic capitalist marketing scam.

hippie.gif

American health care IS clearly a capitalist marketing scam.

Doctors in the west are generally over-rated.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I rent a teak 2 bdrm, single bath, ktchn, lrg lvng rm, monster storage, private parking and lrg yard and garden for 1000 US a year. Anything comperable in southern California would be closer to $2500 a month. Just sayin'.

Would love to know where this is located, B2,500 per month must be upcountry - is it a typical old-style Thai house?

Is there any A/C provided? Are there screens on the windows, and if so are there still mozzies indoors? Is there a proper kitchen?

Ok but the thai food lacks many nutriment, the meat is of horrible quality and hygiene(same price you get high grade @ costco)

From what i have seen, most of the trash from our countries move to south east asia when they get above 50 years of age, so i dont see how you call this running away from them? A walk down rawai in phuket or on any street in bangkok will confirm this. Also the fact that Singha and chang are making more profits with their wifebeaters than by selling beer.

Thai entertainment does not exist. They are no festivals that have anything interesting. Every single festival is the same thing. It's a bunch of stalls, the same stalls you will find at every daily market, with sub-par food because they are going for volume and profits. Then you will have stalls with copied CDs, then the same cheap clothes/shoes stalls. Every Event is the exact same. The Dancing is also always the same.

I remember Chinese new year's parade in phuket a few weeks ago. 80% of it was old rich thais thinking they are important and just walking down in their sunday's clothes holding a sign with their name on it and some bored kids badly dressed sporting a sign for their school and the cheapest Chinese dragon i have ever seen. A town with 500 people would have a better parade in the west.

Thais only's public shows are those 'funny' but not really funny shows where they scream in a mic with ladyboy voices at 5am or the same crappy dance contest/ladyboy contests or country style music shows that dont appeal to most. IN the west i have shows from international and local artists of ALL genre everyday. Also in every large and even small city you will have a teather having shows almost every night. You also have culture events showcasing videos or artists from all over the world every single week. Also major music festivals for local and international artists. Also they are a lot of museums(thai museums = lol) and places to bring your child to learn about astronomy and many other subject while having fun. All for free of course.

Yes in thailand you don't need a car, thats why there's more than 30 people dying from motorbike accidents every single day while i hear about 1 or 2 of those per year back home. Not having a car for long distance and busy roads = asking for death.

Thai restaurants are rarely great. The few great ones still do not have that many choice. There's pretty much 20-30 things that are decent and its easy to get tired of them... It's always rice with more rice. Cheap thai restaurants are just like hotdog places except the hotdog is a lot tastier than the cheap fried rice with barely any veggies/meat.

Low rent place.. you get what you pay for. Accomodations under 300$ per month are nasty. In the west you can have a nice room mate if you cant afford a 400$ apt which are available pretty much anywhere in the world. You think black women on food stamps can afford to pay more than a thai for rent? no they cant. They find a way to get something cheap. That cheap place will still be more livable than the cheap accomodations i have seen in thailand.

why is it always the people who live close to an homeless lifestyle in thailand that answer these threads. Yes you can survive on 400$ a month in thailand, but your life wont be any better than an homeless in the west who goes to shelter and eats free food. The only difference is here you are not looking for daily handouts and looked down on and will have some sort of privacy. In any case you are not the average and cant compare your very basic life with a normal person.

And as i specified, i am not talking about living in the sticks. While living in the sticks in canada would still be pretty similar to living in isaan price wise. Get some land and build yourself a wood lodge and hunt rabbits.

Let's get a few things straight... first I don't think you are originally frrom Canada and this should explain your lack of civility and to an extent your ignorance. I am originally from Canada and can tell you Canada is not a cheap place to live anymore. I recently returned from a trip to eastern Canada and it is more expensive than Los Angeles. Toronto is now the 16th most expensive city in the world to live. And the west is no longer cheap but increasingly expensive. Also both the Germans and the Brits have a culture and heritage that is clearly defined in literature, music and other elements. You really need to study up before you post. And why are you posting on Thai Visa as it sounds you are not a happy camper here or perhaps anywhere else for that matter. If your goal is simply to irritate you are making a fool of yourself in your efforts.

Would love to know where this is located, B2,500 per month must be upcountry - is it a typical old-style Thai house?

Is there any A/C provided? Are there screens on the windows, and if so are there still mozzies indoors? Is there a proper kitchen?

you guys really should get out more. This is a Thailand forum, not a Bangkok forum. Decent house in Buriram: ฿4500.- a month.

As a Canadian, I'd have to say you're full of merde. No city in Ca is cheaper than any city in LoS.

As for UK and Deutschland: ever heard of Shakespeare, Tallis, Elgar, Thomas Mann, Beethoven and Bach, to name a minuscule number of cultural icons by any global standard. (Granted there has also been Tony Bliar and Mr A Hilter.)

Whereas Canada can offer...erm....erm...well, how about, erm....

To argue as Hostile has that the UK and Germany have no culture is so farcical that it's not even worth addressing.

Canada has Mordecai Richler, fantastic novelist in my view.

listen everyone knows thailand is cheap as hell when you are single. the question of leaving comes about when you have kids to raise, especially a girl. then many of thailand's little quirks and novelties might not seem so pleasant. and of course there is the concern of education and her enviorment, both social and physical in Thailand.

my general opinion is that thailand is not the ideal place to raise a child , especially a female child. so i am making the very hard sacrifice to raise her in the expensive, boring, vanilla west.

I think western education is wildly over-rated by many TV members, and Thai education is wildly under-rated.

As for raising a female child in Thailand, why not, I'm already counting the sin-sot.

If your child goes to a Thai school and you are not fluent in Thai than you will not be able to play an active role in her education.

If you want her taught in English than you will have to pony up a tidy sum and move to a big city. The big cities, especially Bangkok seem like terrible places to raise children. You will need to pay registration tuition and bribes to get her into your desired school. And then if you decide to change locations or you do not like the school, you will need to start all over again.

In the US, teachers are very hard working people. They do it because they love teaching and children. My brother and mother are constantly going into their own pocket for classroom expenses. I wonder how often farang teachers do that. I wonder if farang teachers stay up to midnight preparing work for the next day or if they stay up to midnight updating their Thailand Blog, partying, or planning their next trip. It strikes me that farang teachers true passion is Thailand/Asia/traveling and NOT children/teaching.

I do think there are some advantages to raising your children in Thailand so not saying the coin is one-sided. And of course, for some people, moving back to the West is not a real option for whatever reasons.

cant forget that people who spew low prices on house rentals usualy have ugly unlivable houses for anyone that is used to middle class living

like myself if i had a house that looked like this

I would not live there. i just took the first average cheap house picture i could find. Cheap furniture,. Looks like a larger jail cell with a sub-par thai kitchen in pastel colors.

ohh it has 3 bedrooms! yeah, i dont give a shit its still comparable to a box on the street in the west.

I could find thousands of picture just a bit above this, with tesco/index's discount furniture but its still cheap, still no colors on the wall, still full of insects because thais can't build a house correctly without leaving space for insects in the walls, the kitchens are always terribly ghetto while in the west kitchen is the most important part of the home, still has tv's from the 80's, always has a toilet where you take a shower on the pooper, beds that even egyptian slaves would spit on. etc etc

And those are the house that people talk about. Yeah you have space but as i said its still just a large cheap jail cell with no personality or real comfort, not comparable to what you get in the west.

In the whole country i am a 100% sure that there isnt more than 5 or 10 people with nice 2br+ houses for 20k baht or less.(unless they've bought it)

There's always a few lucky bastards and i was one of them before i bought my house but it was still not comparable to a decent house back home.

Looks like my house. If I was renting this place I would, with the landlord's permission, change what I didn't like. Of course, one must keep ,up standards, mustn't one, what would the neighbours say?