Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

It definitely costs me more to live here than in the US, though I do know a lot of farangs who live on a fraction of what I could live on in either place and seem to be perfectly happy.

I would be interested as well, if you would maybe describe your past and present conditions/arrangements.

I guess if you needed to buy a couple cars, send the kids to private schools, and couldn't live without fine imported cheeses and prime USDA beef..... ;)

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely costs me more to live here than in the US, though I do know a lot of farangs who live on a fraction of what I could live on in either place and seem to be perfectly happy.

I mean this without any malice at all..seriously! I am intrigued. Could you perhaps outline your expenditure in Thailand v the US a little more please.

The altitude here makes his hair grow quicker.

biggrin.png oh silly me!

Don't forget you're getting older now and have to pay for woman thumbsup.gif

I mean this without any malice at all..seriously! I am intrigued. Could you perhaps outline your expenditure in Thailand v the US a little more please.

Me too.

Do you spend your money on the same things in both places?

Biggest question - which place gives you better **value** for the money spent?

Btw a good haircut lasts 3-4months. A 70baht 'haircut' lasts 1week and you simply look like a thai kid from a cheap public school.

Feeding the troll.

My hair grows out well over a cm per month, so your recommendation was fine when I had it down past the middle of my back, but not these days - when I've got none on top I'd look like a real egghead-longhair.

If I get past three weeks my kids start to make fun of me. . .

As to think the quality or the cost of a haircut determines the speed at which ones hair will grow..... Hmmm, sounds like an episode for Myth Busters.

dam_n it.... I told you not to feed him!!!!!

Sorry sir genius, if you had not been drunk from trying to find a wife at nana you might have been able to do some research on google and learn that a good haircut allows the hair to grow into a manner where you'll still look good. A cheap haircut will be uneven and it will show as soon as the hair grows a bit.

Come on, Nana is for girlfriends, every respectable expat knows the wife's are found at Soi Cowboy..... eat troll eat!!!

Btw a good haircut lasts 3-4months. A 70baht 'haircut' lasts 1week and you simply look like a thai kid from a cheap public school.

Feeding the troll.

My hair grows out well over a cm per month, so your recommendation was fine when I had it down past the middle of my back, but not these days - when I've got none on top I'd look like a real egghead-longhair.

If I get past three weeks my kids start to make fun of me. . .

three to four months after a "good haircut" you look like a "hostile troll" and vent your frustration in Thaivisa laugh.png

How many tubs of peanut butter do you eat per day?

I refuse to dress up when going to a restaurant. My standard seven days a week uniform is shorts, a T shirt and flip flops. I used to wear long pants and a collared shirt when I went to immigration but have since given that up too.

The bottom line is that I don't have to impress anyone and live exactly as I want to live.

Bravo to you, Gary. And rest assured, you can be relatively certain that you aren't impressing anyone. Make that 100% certain.

• Like 2

I wanted to make a point that all of my clothes are from London. Kind of. Made in Cambodia of course and sold the first time in France where rich people donate them to poor people in Cambodia who are not near fat enough to wear them so they sell them to Thai merchants by the compressed ton and after the big Thai ladies sort them sitting on their haunches in the hot tropical sun all day I come by and purchase them. Pepe jeans and Michiko baseball caps. Most days I just wear jeans and a baseball cap. Buying them here saves me a bunch of money and still of course quality brand name status products.

quality brand name status products.

I'm happy to see that my donations end up at the people who need them. smile.png

The French have been giving us stuff for years. Independence, French Fries, bikinis, lots of things.

I agree. Why it appears to be cheaper is that those of us who live here aren't subject to taxes and generally live in homes we've already bought or reasonably economical rentals. And of course lifestyles come into the equation same as everywhere else in the world. The phrase 'cutting your coat according to your cloth' spring to mind. But every visitor I've had has remarked 'Thailand, a third world country with first world prices'. Edited by silsburyhill

But every visitor I've had has remarked 'Thailand, a third world country with first world prices'.

Tourists always pay more.

Stupid remark. How do the Thais who are tourists and who aren't? I know for a fact that I will very often be asked a higher price if I wander outside my usual shopping areas. Edited by silsburyhill

But every visitor I've had has remarked 'Thailand, a third world country with first world prices'.

Stupid remark. How do the Thais who are tourists and who aren't? I know for a fact that I will very often be asked a higher price if I wander outside my usual shopping areas.

At times, If l want to buy something l keep out of sight, send the mrs in to ask the price then she calls me in. laugh.png

My wife buys all my clothes and often throws away some of my favorites. They only show a little wear and maybe have a few holes in them. She doesn't really throw them away, she makes mop rags out of them. I wear whatever she buys and if they suit her, they suit me. I do draw the line at cartoon or pink shorts or shirts.She gets upset if I wear anything two days in a row because she says her friends will think that she doesn't take good care of me.

I agree. Why it appears to be cheaper is that those of us who live here aren't subject to taxes and generally live in homes we've already bought or reasonably economical rentals. And of course lifestyles come into the equation same as everywhere else in the world. The phrase 'cutting your coat according to your cloth' spring to mind. But every visitor I've had has remarked 'Thailand, a third world country with first world prices'.

I fail to understand this.. for B1500 you can obtain a very nice hotel.. which equates to around about A$48 bucks and one can find good value for money hotels& guest houses for under that. Restaurants away from the tourist areas are very cheap. Grog and ciggies are cheap. Airfares and travel is cheap... Personally with a family I find Australia very expensive to holiday in, as I do in the Uk with a family in tow (hotels) therefore we and thousands of others will travel to SE Asia where it is value for money.

We periodically kit out our children's wardrobes with clothes from Tesco Lotus for a meer pittance or from various markets...

Being a tourist you are guaranteed to be ripped off from time to time, its just a question of research.

Stupid remark. How do the Thais who are tourists and who aren't? I know for a fact that I will very often be asked a higher price if I wander outside my usual shopping areas.

At times, If l want to buy something l keep out of sight, send the mrs in to ask the price then she calls me in. laugh.png

The average thai being such a lovely person actually charges higher prices everytime they can if their thai customers comes from a different town.

So your saying Thais have their address tattoo on their forehead to let shop staff know who to over charge ? rolleyes.gif

They all have regional accents, and also regional language variations.

How long does it take you to spot an Assie?

My mrs comes from up country, noooooooooo problem in our town with over charging her. How many Isaan folk live and work in Bangkok ?, are they all being ripped off ?. Don't think so.

So your saying Thais have their address tattoo on their forehead to let shop staff know who to over charge ? rolleyes.gif

I could see this happening, charging higher, not the forehead tattoo..... different accent/dialect maybe???

I could see this happening, charging higher, not the forehead tattoo..... different accent/dialect maybe???

Read my post above. smile.png

Cost to start a business and employ staff here is significantly cheaper. Significantly. Amount of red tape bull shit here compared to home is just a suicidal nightmare. Depends upon what you are looking for in life as always but in general, to live the same life here as in your home country it will be the same cost in many ways but there again, if you want to live the same life, why live here?

Cost to own a mid sized estate car here vs home country? About double.

Edited by Pseudolus

Cost to start a business and employ staff here is significantly cheaper. Significantly. Amount of red tape bull shit here compared to home is just a suicidal nightmare. Depends upon what you are looking for in life as always but in general, to live the same life here as in your home country it will be the same cost in many ways but there again, if you want to live the same life, why live here?

Thats why some, me, buy top of the range auto trans trucks. smile.png Not double to cost.

Thats why some, me, buy top of the range auto trans trucks. smile.png Not double to cost.

But no help if you do not like or want a truck - transport dogs about and a truck is Zero use for this exercise for me for various reasons :)

But no help if you do not like or want a truck - transport dogs about and a truck is Zero use for this exercise for me for various reasons smile.png

Have you driven an auto truck ? Also brilliant for dogs if you fit an electric powered lid.
  • Like 1

The average thai being such a lovely person actually charges higher prices everytime they can if their thai customers comes from a different town.

More hostile <deleted>, really where do you come up with this stuff?

• Like 1