Spend A Night Into A Tribe? Teach Them English?

khman

This thread is too good to be lost in this scarcely read local forum. It has everything. Drugs, Americans, opium and the European great white hope poster and potential missionary.

The journalist who can't spell or write critiquing the European great white poster who can't write either and both I'm sure violating ten rules about posting.

And the realist curmudgeon talking about drunk screaming hill tribe people and last but not least location of hill tribe bar girls who will shake down all and sundry Farang as a daily ritual. The only thing lacking is photos of fish.

Don't you think this should be moved to the General Forum? Anyway it was a great read!

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other option of course would be to visit a bar in Jetyod Rd, they are full of hill tribe women , who will be more than happy for the customer to practice his English on them , hahahahaha.

They could of course after buying the lady a drink or 8 , be invited somewhere ? Hahahaha and if they are lucky, a visit to the ladies mountain village may happen but of course they will have to buy lunch for the whole village and some feed for the sick buffalo .biggrin.png

Sounds like you are speaking from your own personal experience? I knew things would liven up a bit once you were back, welcome back SHS1!

The other option of course would be to visit a bar in Jetyod Rd, they are full of hill tribe women , who will be more than happy for the customer to practice his English on them , hahahahaha.

They could of course after buying the lady a drink or 8 , be invited somewhere ? Hahahaha and if they are lucky, a visit to the ladies mountain village may happen but of course they will have to buy lunch for the whole village and some feed for the sick buffalo .biggrin.png

Sounds like you are speaking from your own personal experience? I knew things would liven up a bit once you were back, welcome back SHS1!

Thankyou for your welcome back , always good to add some humour to the thread .(Humor incase you are an American forum Member !) biggrin.png

Dos the OP honestly believe he has his wife would make a difference staying ONE night with tribal people "teaching" them English? I believe his expectations are overly optimistic.

On the positive side it will be so much more easy for the tribals to update their Facebook / twitter pages. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Dos the OP honestly believe he has his wife would make a difference staying ONE night with tribal people "teaching" them English? I believe his expectations are overly optimistic.

On the positive side it will be so much more easy for the tribals to update their Facebook / twitter pages. rolleyes.gif

They only use Jungle Book biggrin.png

On the positive side it will be so much more easy for the tribals to update their Facebook / twitter pages. rolleyes.gif

I'm going to spend a couple of nights there and teach them how to send smoke signals then. :rolleyes:

I'm going to spend a couple of nights there and teach them how to send smoke signals then. rolleyes.gif

They might know something about smoke.

I'm going to spend a couple of nights there and teach them how to send smoke signals then. rolleyes.gif

Dont forget your Opium pipe rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

They might know something about smoke.

Yes, but I bet they can't blow smoke rings if that's the type of smoke you mean. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the OP and his wife might want to consider volunteering at this foundation. It is non religious and has about 22 hill tribe kids who are mostly orphans or parents in prison etc.

If you have any constructive skills you can contribute. Some volunteers teach a bit of english, some teach computer, some teach guitar or music, some teach arts/crafts, some help with needed repairs, some help with the garden. Whatever your skills you will find a group of kids eager to learn. Contact the foundation to see how you can help.

http://ayui.org/

Many tribal people know a third language. Aside from their tribal language - e.g. Akha, or Lahu or Yao, many know Thai and Mandarin. I know of one village where around 80 of the village population speak Mandarin. Perhaps, the OP might want to learn Mandarin instead of Teaching English INTO a Tribe.

Wow. Really.

It is obvious the OP is a tourist, certainly English is not his first language, who wants to do something to contribute in whatever way he can, and not just do the typical tourist thing. Is that so terrible? He's just talking about a day trip, and somehow it turns into comments about work permits and TEFL trade talk and precise spellings (is the aeroplane constructed of aluminium?)....

The reaction to his post was more than a little vociferous- it was ferocious.

I'm sure he will never be posting here again, nor will he ever venture to visit again or live in Chiang Rai, judging by the welcome he got from the local farang community.

Just think back to when you were a newbie. For me, I was in Chiang Rai for the first time in 1975, not that that is so relevant, except to point out that everyone is new somewhere once, when others are long-timers....

Just my 25 satang.

sleep.png

• Like 1

Do you not understand that the OP doesn't want to teach English but instead waants a different and slightly unique holiday experience, it's probably no different than any resident ex-pat in Thailand having a ten minute exchange with a local in the course of their every day dealings.

This thread is too good to be lost in this scarcely read local forum. It has everything. Drugs, Americans, opium and the European great white hope poster and potential missionary.

The journalist who can't spell or write critiquing the European great white poster who can't write either and both I'm sure violating ten rules about posting.

And the realist curmudgeon talking about drunk screaming hill tribe people and last but not least location of hill tribe bar girls who will shake down all and sundry Farang as a daily ritual. The only thing lacking is photos of fish.

Don't you think this should be moved to the General Forum? Anyway it was a great read!

Ian’s fish photos are greatly missed. laugh.pngthumbsup.gifclap2.gif Edited by villagefarang

Good point Sven but I know a fair few teachers from a number of different countries (English, Irish, Filipino, Australian, American, Canadian, Japanese, Welsh, South African) and all have their own unique accent, but one thing they all do is speak a lot clearer, slower and louder in the classroom with their students than they do outside of school with their friends and family.

I am happy to hear that!

I have only been in the university in a class once here in Thailand when a friend were teaching English.

That was a couple of very interesting lessons where the teacher managed to activate 100% of the students in both writing and talking English!

I was very impressed!

I just wonder why these teacher don't speak a lot clearer, slower and louder in the pub when they are telling funny jokes etc?

I deleted the unhelpful and off topic posts. Don't waste your time posting any more.

To the topic starter;

The short amount of time you have isn't really enough time for you to teach any beneficial amount of English to them, but if you can find a place to spend a night or a weekend and just meet and visit with them it will give you a chance to get to know them better and maybe you can return in the future when you have more time. Many hilltribe people have been exposed to English, either in school, or from interacting with westerners over the years. I'm sure you will find this makes for easier communication when meeting with them, and you will find no shortage of people who are more than happy to practice their English on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Yesterday, 12:25

"Hi. Me and my wife would like to go in a tribe near chiang rai. We would lile to exchange with them... Maybe teach them a little bit of english... We would, if possible, avoid touristics visits of tribes... It seems to be like Disneyland tours... Thank you really much for your advices in order to visit authentic tribes.

Same for monks btw. We d like to exchange with them. "

I'm weak in the type of way that I can't resist picking on this type of post, but if you want to teach anybody English, perhaps you should brush up on it.

I work part-time in journalism and it makes my skin crawl when people proclaim themselves to be English teachers but don't know that 'me' is not a subject pronoun, or use a word like 'touristics'. Does the word even exist? But more importantly it's serving as an adjective, and adjectives can never be plural. 'Advice' is a non-countable noun, but the OP has added an 's' to it. Finally, 'exchange' requires a direct object, but the OP hasn't bothered to include one.

I really don't feel I'm being pedantic here because in the OP's short post, he has made 4 basic mistakes as well as displaying some questionable style, yet he feels qualified to teach English. Cripes, it's no wonder that English teaches get such a bad reputation in Thailand.

Very well said, i have spent 25 years in the media and it makes my skin crawl when i hear or read "me and" Edited by Scoop1

Posted Yesterday, 12:25

"Hi. Me and my wife would like to go in a tribe near chiang rai. We would lile to exchange with them... Maybe teach them a little bit of english... We would, if possible, avoid touristics visits of tribes... It seems to be like Disneyland tours... Thank you really much for your advices in order to visit authentic tribes.

Same for monks btw. We d like to exchange with them. "

I'm weak in the type of way that I can't resist picking on this type of post, but if you want to teach anybody English, perhaps you should brush up on it.

I work part-time in journalism and it makes my skin crawl when people proclaim themselves to be English teachers but don't know that 'me' is not a subject pronoun, or use a word like 'touristics'. Does the word even exist? But more importantly it's serving as an adjective, and adjectives can never be plural. 'Advice' is a non-countable noun, but the OP has added an 's' to it. Finally, 'exchange' requires a direct object, but the OP hasn't bothered to include one.

I really don't feel I'm being pedantic here because in the OP's short post, he has made 4 basic mistakes as well as displaying some questionable style, yet he feels qualified to teach English. Cripes, it's no wonder that English teaches get such a bad reputation in Thailand.

Very well said, i have spent 25 years in the media and it makes my skin crawl when i hear or read "me and"

READ the entire thread and understand it and then perhaps reconsider your response.