Which Is The Best Value Small Car

I'm sorry, I meant 160.000Baht.

I bought a Nissen BigM 2.5 litre diesel turbo pickup last year for 150k, 17 years old.

Repairs 6k in the past year. The extended cab can fit 5 people, and I can get another 15 people in the back.

Insurance 900bht, tax 900bht, diesel consumption 10km/l

Sorry, I don't know the price for an oil change as it hasn't run out of oil yet.

And in an accident it would smash your ECO cars into little bits of mashed plastic.

Beat that for value in a basic cheap car.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Sorry, I don't know the price for an oil change as it hasn't run out of oil yet.

You do know oil needs to be changed regularly to keep the engine running, do not you?!

And in an accident it would smash your ECO cars into little bits of mashed plastic.

Basic new car would be covered 100% with insurance, your 17 yr old pick-up would not.

You end the day with a wreck, small car owner would be getting re-paired/re-placed.

Enjoy walking.

You do know oil needs to be changed regularly to keep the engine running, do not you?!

I really meant 160.000Baht. It sure has been a bargain.

Last year I wanted a new small car. I had a March on order for 8 weeks before I gave up with the delivery issues after the Japan Tsunami. Went to Honda and they were 3 months out on the Jazz. Walked across the street from the Phuket Honda dealer where there were a dozen Mazda 2's on the lot. Paid 570k for the automatic with a years insurance, mats, chrome tail pipe, all things I was paying extra for on the March. It's been a year and haven't had any issues. It's comfortable and peppy enough for me. I love the convenience of the hatchback. The Mazda 2 was recently voted #2 in all new car purchases throughout the world in terms of fewest problems for new cars, finishing behind a Volvo.

I don't think there is a better car for the money. Looking back on the March, the Mazda is a better car unless you're buying the March premium version (530k and insurance). The cheaper versions of the March are <deleted>.The other alternative is a stretch cab pickup. They're in that price range. This is a good link for pricing on trucks http://www.markmotorsthailand.com/prices.html The diesels get surprisingly good mileage. I prefer a car. The Jazz is probably the best choice here, but it's realitively expensive. All the rest of your choices have dealer issues in my opinion.

My mother has had toyota yaris, VW polo, and now has a March, out of 3 she prefers March over other 2 in terms of handling, fuel economy, interior comfort and visibility.

She has an auto NOT the top model

Basic new car would be covered 100% with insurance, your 17 yr old pick-up would not.

You end the day with a wreck, small car owner would be getting re-paired/re-placed.

Enjoy walking.

I doubt a 17 y.o pickup would fare well against a new 2 tonne pickup like a ranger. I would say half the cars on the road are other pickups, so you are just as likely to be hit by another pickup as you are a sedan. That's by chance, but it seems relatively more pickups are involved in accidents when compared to sedans.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i could be wrong but all the cars you mentioned are more like in 500 000 range.

Swift was more like close to 600000

The only ones i saw under 500K was KIA and Cherry

If you are interested in economy do not get carried away with these small engine toymotas.The favourite for me is the Yaris.Easy to park plenty of room inside and room for your legs!!! It is economical E20 and has beem voted car of the year a couple of times---- And it looks good.I cannot fault mine-----NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY
  • Like 1

I bought a Nissen BigM 2.5 litre diesel turbo pickup last year for 150k, 17 years old.

Repairs 6k in the past year. The extended cab can fit 5 people, and I can get another 15 people in the back.

Insurance 900bht, tax 900bht, diesel consumption 10km/l

AND THE 15 PEOPLE IN THE BACK?------ THEY ALL OK////

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe best buy is what you DO NOT see lots of 2nd hand..........

No idea why but appear everywhere there are almost new Hondo Brio's for sale.. why ? it is not that I see that many on the roads.

Yet there appears to be a lot more of these on the road than the Honda

Mitsubishi Mirage.. I see very few 2nd hand

​ Nissan Almera.. I see very few 2nd hand

If I wanted a small car then would go for the Suzuki Swift

No idea why but appear everywhere there are almost new Hondo Brio's for sale.. why ? it is not that I see that many on the roads.

The brio and march came out before the excise tax return scheme was implemented. I think that's why at the moment you will see more brios and marches in the second hand market. There are lots of mirages on the roads compared to brios. I think even though the brio is a honda, it's not so popular due to it's small size and design. In my area I reckon there are as many of the new swifts on the road as brios that have been out much longer.

There's only one second hand eco swift with bodykit and wheels on one2car.com, for a whopping 628K, much more than the 559K new price.

• Like 1

The brio and march came out before the excise tax return scheme was implemented. I think that's why at the moment you will see more brios and marches in the second hand market. There are lots of mirages on the roads compared to brios. I think even though the brio is a honda, it's not so popular due to it's small size and design. In my area I reckon there are as many of the new swifts on the road as brios that have been out much longer.

There's only one second hand eco swift with bodykit and wheels on one2car.com, for a whopping 628K, much more than the 559K new price.

In the overall eco car segment, Honda's market share is just 4.3%. Splitting it up by body style, the Brio hatchback has 6.8% market share, and the Brio Amaze sedan has 21% share.

Most popular eco hatchback is the Mirage with 54.8% market share, most popular eco sedan is the Almera with 79% share.

In the overall eco car segment, Honda's market share is just 4.3%. Splitting it up by body style, the Brio hatchback has 6.8% market share, and the Brio Amaze sedan has 21% share.

Most popular eco hatchback is the Mirage with 54.8% market share, most popular eco sedan is the Almera with 79% share.

Thanks, do you have the market share for each of the eco cars. Would be interested to see that, and recent monthly sales of each car if you have that info handy. I imagine the end of the excise tax scheme put a major dent in sales but I don't have the numbers.

Thanks, do you have the market share for each of the eco cars. Would be interested to see that, and recent monthly sales of each car if you have that info handy. I imagine the end of the excise tax scheme put a major dent in sales but I don't have the numbers.

I'm a little limited as to what I can post publicly, but market share in the eco car segment for the start of 2013 looks a bit like this:

Brio: 4.3%

Brio Amaze: 7.6%

Almera: 29.1 %

March: 15.1%

Swift: 9.1 %

Mirage: 34.8%

Year on Year there are a few models that weren't around, but those that were are up quite significantly compared to the same period in 2012. However, all are down compared to Q4 2012, when the final rebate rush was on.

wink.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1