Driving 125 Cc Scooter And Have Licence For 50 Cc - No Problem In Pattaya

radiola

I have just a car licence that is valid also for small scooters in EU.

But here in Pattaya I drive 125 suzuki scooter, and police stopped me twice, no complaints when I showed them my eu licence.

If I drive 250 kawasaki ninja or honda 250r will they give me problems?

Thanks, i dont want to make a new licence just for big bikes...

If I drive 650 kawasaki, what will happen if I show them my licence, will they take away my bike or just fine me?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a car license, that 50 cc scooters don't need a bike license in your home country doesn't make it a bike license of any sort.

You have been lucky so far, riding without the correct docs will land you a fine, perhaps much worse if you are in an accident.

You have a car license, that 50 cc scooters don't need a bike license in your home country doesn't make it a bike license of any sort.

You have been lucky so far, riding without the correct docs will land you a fine, perhaps much worse if you are in an accident.

I agree with that, if you are involved in an accident they might scrutinize your drivers licence more and you will end up paying even if it not your fault. You will as minimum need a international licence.

Why don't you get Thai car and bike licences? You are much better off in case of an accident, they are very easy and cheap to get. Also not to forget that they will get you in at many tourist attractions at Thai prices, so all in all well worth spending a day getting them.

• Like 1

But here in Pattaya I drive 125 suzuki scooter, and police stopped me twice, no complaints when I showed them my eu licence.

If I drive 650 kawasaki, what will happen if I show them my licence, will they take away my bike or just fine me?

Getting a thai bike license is very easy. Just go down the transport dept and sort it out . About 2-3 hours of your time.

Stop mucking around. Where do you live in Thailand????

sent from my Wellcom A90+

the topic is about a bike licence not how many question marks someone puts in a post. Some people can be real wanakers.

Back to the op's question. I think you have been lucky, there a lot more checks around Pattaya and once i show them a thai licence they are happy to wave me on. I can confirm it is easy to get but probably not worth it if you are just here on holidays. I think the law is that you must have a valid international licence, not just a licence from your own country. Even then, some of the cops won't accept the International licence and also be aware that after 3 months in Thailand the International licence is no longer valid.

I didn't have an australian bike licence so had to do the whole test rimorole (sight/reaction tests, answer questions on a computer in english and then a 1 minute riding test) which takes all morning (if you pass the computer test first time round!!), but they issued me a car licence in 10 minutes using my Australian licence.

• Like 1

Getting a thai bike license is very easy. Just go down the transport dept and sort it out . About 2-3 hours of your time.

Stop mucking around. Where do you live in Thailand????

He mentioned already , Pattaya ,sometimes it helps to read the read the first post before spamming another thread thumbsup.gif

So telling some one to get a thai bike license is spamming.

Jesus your a sausage short of a dozen .

OP. get a thai license. It is very. Very easy. In fact if your current license is in english and shows motorcycle privilege many land transport offices will give you a driving license (bike and car) without doing the test. Just color test and reaction test. Good luck

are you kidding me? I love thailand he he, i will definately go sort this out, i thought it is the same process like in europe, theory and then driving like 20 hours.....

anybody knows where to get it in pattaya?

Edited by radiola

Taichi can tell you where to do the test. By the way youtube 'thai motorcycle driving test ' to get an idea how easy it is biggrin.png

but for bigger bikes do i have to do the theory again? I dont want to learn all the signs again, it takes time...........

so there is one licence for all bikes or is it separate for big bikes and scooters?

Taichi can tell you where to do the test. By the way youtube 'thai motorcycle driving test ' to get an idea how easy it is biggrin.png

but for bigger bikes do i have to do the theory again? I dont want to learn all the signs again, it takes time...........

so there is one licence for all bikes or is it separate for big bikes and scooters?

Nope, getting a DL here in Thailand is cheap and easy and there's no graduated license system like you find in some other countries.

Only idiosyncrasy is that you get one license for cars, and another for bikes.

Sounds like they're not too strict down in Pattaya, but here in BKK if you show them a car license when you're on a bike it can cause some problems.

Having a Thai DL is quite handy- it's generally accepted as legal ID and will often get you the Thai price at National Parks, museums, etc.

go out on the number 7 highway, turn onto the 36 road and its behind the big regent school. arrive about 9 am. In my case as i had car licence just had to reaction tests and color blind test. you need various documents which a search on here will show. quite easy, your UK licence is only upto 50 cc if in accident its your fault, if in accident and you have licence still your faultbiggrin.png if Thai is blind drunk on wrong side of road no lights still your fault, you not here accident not happen.

usually in my experience they give you a ticket, you go police station pay the fine, go back to where your bike is then they release the bike. usually only take away for parking illegally.

there are of course various scenarios as some of these cops are mobile and difficult to find to release the bike or the check point has gone before you got back. Always note the number of the cop you deal with then the station can track him down for you.

if in accident and you have licence still your faultbiggrin.png if Thai is blind drunk on wrong side of road no lights still your fault, you not here accident not happen.

Urban myth. That is simply not true.

I know a few people(farang) here that have had accident that was not their fault and they paid not one baht, the Thai had to pay for everything.

• Like 1

if in accident and you have licence still your faultbiggrin.png if Thai is blind drunk on wrong side of road no lights still your fault, you not here accident not happen.

I know a few people(farang) here that have had accident that was not their fault and they paid not one baht, the Thai had to pay for everything.

+1

Definitely, that's an old, stupid and annoying "stone-table/latrine parole", which is repeated and quoted over and over again...bah.gif

Maybe it was valid ages ago.

But times have changed and your insurance agent will sort everything out.

In many cases police show favouritism to thai citizens when ascessing who was at fault

many cases maybe that the farang cant explain himself properly anyway due to language skills

Ive often heard when two thais have an accident ,the richer pays for the poorer or the car driver

pays for the motorcyclist injuries etc

In many cases police show favouritism to thai citizens when ascessing who was at fault

many cases maybe that the farang cant explain himself properly anyway due to language skills

Ive often heard when two thais have an accident ,the richer pays for the poorer or the car driver

pays for the motorcyclist injuries etc

"I've often heard" makes you an expert on such things?

Keep trying to spread the urban myth if you like. The rest of us know it's bs.

BigBikeBkk, so you say the police is fair? Or do you want to say the police is unfair to everybody, not only farang?

biggrin.png

I got some money when someone crashed in my back. Police said it was the thai riders fault. So it is a myth that "its always the farangs fault". But you cannot say that this is totally a myth. Going to court is one thing, but getting money at the police station is a totally different thing. You should be glad if someone is there who can help you sorting it out. Beeing involved in an accident and then sitting for hours at the police station, maybe having some minor injuries, can be a real pain. But i can not say something bad about police in LOS. Seems to be all a myth wink.png

go out on the number 7 highway, turn onto the 36 road and its behind the big regent school.

The 7 motorway is a fair hike away from the 36, best bet is to head down Sukhumvit road and take the 36 exit (right hand turn) and keep going till you see "Regents School". Throw a U-Turn (right hand) and then come back past Regents and take the next exit (Left turn) and follow that around to your left (Behind Regents) and you will find the DLT.

BigBikeBkk, so you say the police is fair? Or do you want to say the police is unfair to everybody, not only farang?

biggrin.png

I got some money when someone crashed in my back. Police said it was the thai riders fault. So it is a myth that "its always the farangs fault". But you cannot say that this is totally a myth. Going to court is one thing, but getting money at the police station is a totally different thing. You should be glad if someone is there who can help you sorting it out. Beeing involved in an accident and then sitting for hours at the police station, maybe having some minor injuries, can be a real pain. But i can not say something bad about police in LOS. Seems to be all a myth wink.png

Recommend you buy yourself some decent insurance and let your insurance company deal with the police.

Are you speaking from personal experience, or is this just more hearsay?

In an injury accident only a sucker with no insurance would sit around the police station.

One more reason to have a valid drivers license- your insurance company will deny your claim and cancel your coverage if they discover you've been driving or riding illegally without a valid license.

biggrin.png

Recommend you buy yourself some decent insurance and let your insurance company deal with the police.

In an injury accident only a sucker with no insurance would sit around the police station.

One more reason to have a valid drivers license- your insurance company will deny your claim and cancel your coverage if they discover you've been driving or riding illegally without a valid license.

I guess this is the point of misunderstanding. You always make the assumption everyone should have a decent (first class) insurance. In fact most people only have basic insurance in Thailand, even farang. You may call all those people stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that this is where the "myth" seem to come from.

Noone will help you than if you are sitting at police station after a crash with (hopefully only) some light injuries (bruises etc.). Maybe police let you visit a doctor first but than you have to come back. And your bike will stay at police for long time until everything is cleared. And you can do nothing against it. You understand not much what people say and there will be at least 5 family members of the other person who has caused the accident. They start telling lies, some may provoke you. Yes, its personal experience. But i was lucky that i wasn't too far from home and had my phone to call for someone helping me.

biggrin.png

I guess this is the point of misunderstanding. You always make the assumption everyone should have a decent (first class) insurance. In fact most people only have basic insurance in Thailand, even farang. You may call all those people stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that this is where the "myth" seem to come from.

Noone will help you than if you are sitting at police station after a crash with (hopefully only) some light injuries (bruises etc.). Maybe police let you visit a doctor first but than you have to come back. And your bike will stay at police for long time until everything is cleared. And you can do nothing against it. You understand not much what people say and there will be at least 5 family members of the other person who has caused the accident. They start telling lies, some may provoke you. Yes, its personal experience. But i was lucky that i wasn't too far from home and had my phone to call for someone helping me.

So did you learn from it and get decent insurance?

Most of what you are talking about is communication issues. That's why the insurance and BAIL BOND come into play. No more sitting around in police stations.

I have had 2 accidents where the other drivers / riders stopped or were stopped. Both paid for my repairs.

On a side note to get this back some what on target. If you do not have valid driving license you COULD have serious problems. Police. Insurance etc

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

biggrin.png

Sorry, but as a foreigner in Thailand yes, riding without a valid license and first class insurance is about as stupid as riding without a helmet or riding drunk.

If you can't afford decent first class insurance or get a valid drivers license you have no business being on the road and should probably just take a bus.

I can understand poor Thais living on less than $10/day not being able to afford anything more than the basic insurance required by law, but I'm pretty skeptical of any farang who says they can afford to buy a bike and put gas in it but can't afford to buy insurance.

Sorry, but as a foreigner in Thailand yes, riding without a valid license and first class insurance is about as stupid as riding without a helmet or riding drunk.

If you can't afford decent first class insurance or get a valid drivers license you have no business being on the road and should probably just take a bus.

I can understand poor Thais living on less than $10/day not being able to afford anything more than the basic insurance required by law, but I'm pretty skeptical of any farang who says they can afford to buy a bike and put gas in it but can't afford to buy insurance.

You are a funny guy. I have a valid license. Noone ever said a word in this thread that riding without license is a good idea.

Yep, as i said. Call >95% of all people living in Thailand stupid if you want. Or 90% of all farang. I do not know the exact figures of people with what you call "proper insurance" biggrin.png

Sorry i end discussion here. Leads to nowhere smile.png

Edited by wantan

Can somebody post the exact adress for pattaya office, so I can go there tomorrow. Only street will do and what documents beside my DL and passport should i bring?

Radiola... sometimes you REALLY need to check out pinned posts. Look at the top of the motoring forum for that info:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

So did you learn from it and get decent insurance?

Most of what you are talking about is communication issues. That's why the insurance and BAIL BOND come into play. No more sitting around in police stations.

I have had 2 accidents where the other drivers / riders stopped or were stopped. Both paid for my repairs.

On a side note to get this back some what on target. If you do not have valid driving license you COULD have serious problems. Police. Insurance etc

Yes, i will probably take a first class insurance on my next bike. But it would have been much money i had spent for insurance of my Tiger just to avoid a few hours sitting around.

In fact you and BigBikeBkk were saying exactly the same than i do. Being involved in an accident in Thailand is difficult as foreigner. Good if you have first class insurance. If not you quickly will be concerned with an "urban myth" of paying for things you haven't done or at least not get back all your money you need to repair your bike clap2.gif

Yes, regarding topic: Please make a valid license if you stay in Thailand for longer time. For short time its best to use an international driving licence.