Driving 125 Cc Scooter And Have Licence For 50 Cc - No Problem In Pattaya

radiola

I guess this is the point of misunderstanding. You always make the assumption everyone should have a decent (first class) insurance. In fact most people only have basic insurance in Thailand, even farang. You may call all those people stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that this is where the "myth" seem to come from.

Noone will help you than if you are sitting at police station after a crash with (hopefully only) some light injuries (bruises etc.). Maybe police let you visit a doctor first but than you have to come back. And your bike will stay at police for long time until everything is cleared. And you can do nothing against it. You understand not much what people say and there will be at least 5 family members of the other person who has caused the accident. They start telling lies, some may provoke you. Yes, its personal experience. But i was lucky that i wasn't too far from home and had my phone to call for someone helping me.

So did you learn from it and get decent insurance?

Most of what you are talking about is communication issues. That's why the insurance and BAIL BOND come into play. No more sitting around in police stations.

I have had 2 accidents where the other drivers / riders stopped or were stopped. Both paid for my repairs.

On a side note to get this back some what on target. If you do not have valid driving license you COULD have serious problems. Police. Insurance etc

Yes, i will probably take a first class insurance on my next bike. But it would have been much money i had spent for insurance of my Tiger just to avoid a few hours sitting around.

In fact you and BigBikeBkk were saying exactly the same than i do. Being involved in an accident in Thailand is difficult as foreigner. Good if you have first class insurance. If not you quickly will be concerned with an "urban myth" of paying for things you haven't done or at least not get back all your money you need to repair your bike clap2.gif

Yes, regarding topic: Please make a valid license if you stay in Thailand for longer time. For short time its best to use an international driving licence.

You do not need 1st class some companies offer 3rd or 2nd class. Effectively theft cover with bail bond. It is the bail bond that is most important that's your get out of police holding cell card.

Personally when I have dealt with police reference accidents they have been professional ie listening to both sides and asking witnesses and looking at the evidence. Both times I was lucky to have a Thai that spoke English to help. This is the main reason we stress insurance. They provide the bail bond and the intermediary to talk with the police etc.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go out on the number 7 highway, turn onto the 36 road and its behind the big regent school.

The 7 motorway is a fair hike away from the 36, best bet is to head down Sukhumvit road and take the 36 exit (right hand turn) and keep going till you see "Regents School". Throw a U-Turn (right hand) and then come back past Regents and take the next exit (Left turn) and follow that around to your left (Behind Regents) and you will find the DLT.

funny i live about a mile away from the junction 12.964914,100.979633 google maps

Edited by marstons

If it goes civil it will be down to what the witness's says. If its a thai persons fault what money do they have to pay,, so what happens to them as a form of punisment.

does anybody have any idea what first class inusrance would cost for a 125 motorbike?. i have always been told not available on bike, so must look in to that one. My experience come from seeing dozens of witness's at the scene of accidents who come out the wood work. For those who beleive its an urban myth have your views i have mine from experience.

what pinned thread, again please post the street of the office where i can go to make a licence and what docs i need to bring with me

Blimey mate... you really need your hand holding don't you. If you are using a Windows computer or Android app go to the Car / Motor section then at the top you have either pinned or sticky section click on that and then 1 year 5 year driving license .. if you really can't find it then give up driving /riding and buy a white stick and seeing eye dog because you're blind

• Like 2

what pinned thread, again please post the street of the office where i can go to make a licence and what docs i need to bring with me

12.968804,100.971994 paste this in to google maps, you will see the signs before you get there, behind regents school. docs others will post but been asked many times so should be found in a search.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

link is in motor forum not here.

good luck its easy peasy

Edited by marstons

Yes, i will probably take a first class insurance on my next bike. But it would have been much money i had spent for insurance of my Tiger just to avoid a few hours sitting around.

In fact you and BigBikeBkk were saying exactly the same than i do. Being involved in an accident in Thailand is difficult as foreigner. Good if you have first class insurance. If not you quickly will be concerned with an "urban myth" of paying for things you haven't done or at least not get back all your money you need to repair your bike clap2.gif

Yes, regarding topic: Please make a valid license if you stay in Thailand for longer time. For short time its best to use an international driving licence.

You do not need 1st class some companies offer 3rd or 2nd class. Effectively theft cover with bail bond. It is the bail bond that is most important that's your get out of police holding cell card.

Personally when I have dealt with police reference accidents they have been professional ie listening to both sides and asking witnesses and looking at the evidence. Both times I was lucky to have a Thai that spoke English to help. This is the main reason we stress insurance. They provide the bail bond and the intermediary to talk with the police etc.

If i spend the money for a decent insurance than i will take a first class for a new bike. Should be a much better feeling when the next shit happens. But thanks for the hint. Will think about it and try to find information about prices for 2nd 3rd class Bail bond insurance smile.png

But what to do with the scooter? And the bicycles? Am i also stupid to ride my bicycles without first class insurance? I guess i am biggrin.png

BigBikeBkk can say what he want and throw around more flouts. Its not possible to care about all risks in a country like LOS. You really have to spend much much money if you want all risks to be taken away. Maybe possible if your only passion is motorcycles. I have much more interests.

If i spend the money for a decent insurance than i will take a first class for a new bike. Should be a much better feeling when the next shit happens. But thanks for the hint. Will think about it and try to find information about prices for 2nd 3rd class Bail bond insurance smile.png

But what to do with the scooter? And the bicycles? Am i also stupid to ride my bicycles without first class insurance? I guess i am biggrin.png

BigBikeBkk can say what he want and throw around more flouts. Its not possible to care about all risks in a country like LOS. You really have to spend much much money if you want all risks to be taken away. Maybe possible if your only passion is motorcycles. I have much more interests.

If your bicycle is worth a lot of money then insure it... simple

• Like 1

I can understand poor Thais living on less than $10/day not being able to afford anything more than the basic insurance required by law, but I'm pretty skeptical of any farang who says they can afford to buy a bike and put gas in it but can't afford to buy insurance.

What does 1st class insurance cost for a scooter?

I can understand poor Thais living on less than $10/day not being able to afford anything more than the basic insurance required by law, but I'm pretty skeptical of any farang who says they can afford to buy a bike and put gas in it but can't afford to buy insurance.

It depends on how much you insure the bike for, if it is over/under 110cc, how much excess you want to pay (if any) and maybe the age of the bike.

Contact AA Insurance to get an idea http://www.aainsure.net

i insured 2 125cc scooters recently, one for 3rd class and one for 2nd class insurance. Both cover the basic injury liability plus a bail bond of THB 500k, while the 2nd class covers for fire and theft of the bike. Any accident i (hopefully don't) have, just call the insurance company and they will send someone out to the scene of the accident.

My 2nd class cost THB 4,471 with the bike insured for 24k. I probably can get a bit cheaper by shopping around, but the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is something i don't want to deal with in an emergency situation. While AA Insurance is only a broker and in an accident you deal direct with the insurance company, i like the idea that if i have any problems with language etc i know they will be happy to help out where possible.

Edited by taichiplanet
  • Like 1

It depends on how much you insure the bike for, if it is over/under 110cc, how much excess you want to pay (if any) and maybe the age of the bike.

Contact AA Insurance to get an idea http://www.aainsure.net

i insured 2 125cc scooters recently, one for 3rd class and one for 2nd class insurance. Both cover the basic injury liability plus a bail bond of THB 500k, while the 2nd class covers for fire and theft of the bike. Any accident i (hopefully don't) have, just call the insurance company and they will send someone out to the scene of the accident.

My 2nd class cost THB 4,471 with the bike insured for 24k. I probably can get a bit cheaper by shopping around, but the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is something i don't want to deal with in an emergency situation. While AA Insurance is only a broker and in an accident you deal direct with the insurance company, i like the idea that if i have any problems with language etc i know they will be happy to help out where possible.

Thanks

3rd class insurance with bail bond (but without theft) 1700 Baht for a 125 cc scooter and ~4000 Baht for my 3.0 Isuzu Pickup.

Viriah insurance on Sukhumvit.

Some of their Call-Center staff speak english.

Edited by vel_tins
  • Like 1

I havnt read through all post's so donno if it has been said already, but here goes.

1] get a paper from a government clinic stating that your heart is beating.

2] take that paper, take the rental contract, your passport and go to immigration office and say you want driving license.

3] take that stuff and go to regent school, a few hundred meters away from regent school and on the same side is a small soi,

drive up that soi and hit the place for making driving license, pay tax etc.

4] tell someone there you want to make driving license, and you're set to get it.

3rd class insurance with bail bond (but without theft) 1700 Baht for a 125 cc scooter and ~4000 Baht for my 3.0 Isuzu Pickup.

Thanks for this. Finally some good information about 2nd 3rd class insurances and prices. Very helpful as a reminder that it is not expensive to take away some of the risks. 1700Baht for 3rd class sounds good and affordable for getting rid of this bail bond thingy and having someone who deals with police and hospital in worst cases. This amount i can even spend for my old scooter wai.gif

My response to the OP:

1. EU Countries Laws and Thai Laws are different. You are in a foreign country. You should therefore look into that matter before ridding anything.

2. In Thailand having a CAR driving license does not authorize you to drive a motorcycle, no matter the size (even a 5CC MC if that were to exist). You need a specific MC license for that. If you read the 2 first sentences carefully and between the lines, then all of your questions have been answered, but I will continue so to make sure my point is clear.

3. If you are here on holidays I guess I would tell you not to bother. You are in Thailand and it is easy to find an arrangement with the Police. But please be careful and don't hurt anyone or you will be in trouble!!

4. Your EU license is not an official document in Thailand. We are not in Disney Land although Laws here are enforced depending the day! If you want to be legal, then do an international license which is accepted for one year. Further to that you need a Thai License valid 1 year first then renewed and valid 5 years onward. However since I assume you don't have any Motorcycle Driving license in the EU (one that is over 50CC) then you should make directly a Thai MC driving license.

5. Ultimately, there is always a way to reach an agreement with police. It all depends on you and what you want to do and how you want things to happen.

Successfully Yours,

P

Edited by Polanskiman

is that per month of per year?

I believe that's per year my friend.

very cheap

very cheap

Yes, but - as you get what you pay for - you do not get really much :)

I will do it basically just for bail bond. I do not want to wake up in hospital beeing handcuffed to the metal frame of my bed. Things like this can happen quickly.

Well the truth is that the police in Thailand really don't care what license you have or much else at all for that matter. If you give them an official looking foreign card they will be quite happy...

Whether you need one in case of an accident or insurance claim is another matter though.

if in accident and you have licence still your faultbiggrin.png if Thai is blind drunk on wrong side of road no lights still your fault, you not here accident not happen.

Urban myth. That is simply not true.

I know a few people(farang) here that have had accident that was not their fault and they paid not one baht, the Thai had to pay for everything.

In many cases police show favouritism to thai citizens when ascessing who was at fault

many cases maybe that the farang cant explain himself properly anyway due to language skills

Ive often heard when two thais have an accident ,the richer pays for the poorer or the car driver

pays for the motorcyclist injuries etc

"I've often heard" makes you an expert on such things?

Keep trying to spread the urban myth if you like. The rest of us know it's bs.

?do=embed&embedDo=findComment%3Fcomment%3D5331853' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

a lotta "myths" happening to real people whistling.gif

Well the truth is that the police in Thailand really don't care what license you have or much else at all for that matter. If you give them an official looking foreign card they will be quite happy...

Whether you need one in case of an accident or insurance claim is another matter though.

As much as many foreigners like to act the way you just discribed, it is not correct. You are in a foreign country. Respect the country, respect the laws. I am sure you wouldn't behave the same way in your home country.

As much as many foreigners like to act the way you just discribed, it is not correct. You are in a foreign country. Respect the country, respect the laws. I am sure you wouldn't behave the same way in your home country.

Maybe the police in my own country care whether people have a driving license or not.....

I don't know about you but I didn't move here because everyone (including the police) behaves like they do in my home country.

Your argument doesn't really wash, If the police have no respect for the laws they are supposedly meant to enforce, then it's going to be pretty hard to get anyone else to respect them.

Edited by madjbs
  • Like 1

Maybe the police in my own country care whether people have a driving license or not.....

I don't know about you but I didn't move here because everyone (including the police) behaves like they do in my home country.

Your argument doesn't really wash, If the police have no respect for the laws they are supposedly meant to enforce, then it's going to be pretty hard to get anyone else to respect them.

Whether the police respect the laws or not is not the problem at all. It's just a matter of whether you respect the laws and respect the hosting country or not. But obviously it all comes to each person willingness to do so. All I am saying is that Radiola should be given more sensible advise instead of telling him that presenting some foreign official document will suffice because that clearly is condescending to Thai laws. I personally would not present my Thai driving license to the police in my home country, there is no reason then why I should do the same here with my french driving license. That was my point.

Edited by Polanskiman

if in accident and you have licence still your faultbiggrin.png if Thai is blind drunk on wrong side of road no lights still your fault, you not here accident not happen.

I know a few people(farang) here that have had accident that was not their fault and they paid not one baht, the Thai had to pay for everything.

+1

+2

All very nice in theory, but the reality is in the real world that the police here just don't care. It's not an opinion or advice, but simply stating the situation as it is.

I don't see the theory in doing a Thai driving license or having an international driving license. Whether the police care or not is not the problem. The problem is that as a foreigner we have to be more prudent, because ultimately we don't belong here and can be kicked out fairly easily if things got nasty. Not all police are careless as you seem to assume and the day you are confronted with a police officer that isn't, then I believe your "official looking foreign card" will be of no use.

Edited by Polanskiman

In many cases police show favouritism to thai citizens when ascessing who was at fault

many cases maybe that the farang cant explain himself properly anyway due to language skills

Ive often heard when two thais have an accident ,the richer pays for the poorer or the car driver

pays for the motorcyclist injuries etc

This does often happen but it is only true when the richer person offers it, it's not obligatory. This is due to the deeply engrained patronage system in Thailand and the concept of Kharma.

I have had two wealthy by Thai standards farang riding buddies of mine each have this happen. Each on 800,000B+ bikes, one a Harley, one a BMW. Police found the Thai at fault but both cases the farangs did not ask anything from the Thai's, and one even helped with some of the Thai's medical bills. All voluntarily. It's the Thai way.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1