How To Order Satellite Tv In Isaan

ClareQuilty

I'm thinking about ordering satellite TV at my new house, rather than cable. I've always had cable provided by apartment buildings, so I don't know anything about satellite in Thailand.

Can anyone advise me how to order satellite? Which company would have English channels? I'm up in Isaan, in Maha Sarakham, so it is probably the locals know nothing about English language TV.

Being up north generally results in having to go with True Visions for English language TV,I brought all my own receiver and box for 6,000 baht a few years back,many people on here slate it and hate it with a passion,it serves it's purpose for me,movies,discovery,history,nat geo and lots of sport,I pay 1,300 baht a month roughly,money well spent.

Hi, check the small sat shops in Kosum Phisai. when you come from Thra Pah on the left, after the market before you turn 90 deg right to Maha Sarakham. I bought a sat dish in the shop wich is together with a phone shop. the guy wich was installing was asking me what language i want to look, lot of knowlege from his side.

You might want to have a quick peek in here: http://www.thaivisa....ok/page__st__25 smile.png

Thanks, took a look there, couldn't make heads or tails of it.

When I was at True I had a Thai friend try to communicate with the staff by telephone, and though she could not communicate with them (basically they just didn't want to sell to a farang), she did say to me afterwards she was suprised I wanted to pay by the month. I said 'what other way is there'? She said she bought a dish and then there is no further monthly charge. She didn't know whether she had any English channels though.

I prefer the local asiadisc or wharever its called . The Funjabi Channel is excellent with overdubs of old 70's movies and the Nepal TV channel . They are all free once you have bought the thing . Cured me of watching tv .

• Like 1

I prefer the local asiadisc or wharever its called . The Funjabi Channel is excellent with overdubs of old 70's movies and the Nepal TV channel . They are all free once you have bought the thing . Cured me of watching tv .

Haha! Good one. Yes I'm very afraid to get something useless like Thai or Indian TV.

In the past I subscribed to True in the Mahasarakham area, but used my wife's name and didn't have any big problems in arranging the installation. This can be quite pricey though with setup costs and security deposit, and it can be a good idea to keep an eye on the True website for the periodic promotions that are offered (which sometimes give reduced cost installation).

For English language channels the choice is really between a valid True subscription and various forms of piracy, mainly through what is known as card sharing, which requires an internet link. A semi-legal alternative is to buy an official foreign smartcard and receive pay TV from a neighboring country, such as Vietnam, which will also include quite a lot of English programming. This isn't something that I do but some of the independent dealers around Mahasarakham City can set up such systems.

Alternatively you could purchase a 'free to air' system, which is completely legal and has no monthly charge, but won't have many English channels (there are a few).

There are now many small dealers in Mahasarakham but most don't speak much English, and if the main man is away from the shop on an installation job you are unlikely to get any sense whatsoever from the assistants. I bought a dish two years ago from a shop along the road that runs down the side of SermThai (the in-side of the one-way system) and the boss speaks fair English (when there). I can't say he was wholly satisfactory though as I ordered an 8 foot dish and he delivered a 7.5 at a price that should have secured the 8 footer. I'd say that Khon Kaen isn't much better. The main InfoSat dealer, who has a shop on Sri Chan Road near the Charoen Thani Princess Hotel, charges well above list prices and in my opinion is a rip-off merchant. A smaller shop around the corner on Na Muang Road has better prices but I am not sure about his degree of technical proficiency.

Edited by citizen33

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got 'True' the other day, with some help from the landlady (in fact I believe the satellite is in her name!) Well, who knows. In any case it is very expensive - about 2,000 baht per month, though with one free month on a six-month commitment. We'll see if it is worth it over the next few months. Thanks for all the help from various people in this thread.