How Do I Clean My Registry?

ChiangMaiThai

Well, how about 1.) going to Control Panel and deinstallaing everythign you don't need? 2.) Change the settings of your Internet Explorer (Tools - Internet Options; clear cookies etc: and then change the settings to 1 MB and 1 day). 3.) I found that Win XP is actually using more disk space when you delete stuff like Word documents. Maybe mighty Microsoft has a deal with government agencies :-P Buying more RAM memory often gives you a performance boost. *** I would also download Lavasoft's Adaware and Antivir. There are some free reg cleaners online, but most are severely disabled.

One of the better FREE cleaners is EasyCleaner, by ToniArts.

The Finnish developer, Toni Helenius, wrote the first version when he was about 14 years old, and it quickly became an international hit.

Full details and download links here.

cheers

waldwolf

I've also used TuneUp - but now run Registry Mechanic which frequently finds a dozen-plus errors that TuneUp misses. I also like the fact that it automatically creates a "restore" point before cleaning - though I haven't had any need to use it in 18 months of using RM.

In my experience, the freebie cleaners are limited and tend not to keep pace with OS changes/patches.

One of the better FREE cleaners is EasyCleaner, by ToniArts.

The Finnish developer, Toni Helenius, wrote the first version when he was about 14 years old, and it quickly became an international hit.

Full details and download links here.

cheers

waldwolf

I highly agree. Not only is this little wonder top rated it is considered very safe for us computer challenged folks.

Yes you can - any time you do anything with registry it is a chance. Most programs will allow return but if you don't find the problem for a month or two it may be too late. But if you keep to just the registry cleaner most of those recommended should be quite safe - millions use them. You can really get in trouble if you start to delete dup files and things like that however.

Yes you can - any time you do anything with registry it is a chance.  Most programs will allow return but if you don't find the problem for a month or two it may be too late.  But if you keep to just the registry cleaner most of those recommended should be quite safe - millions use them.  You can really get in trouble if you start to delete dup files and things like that however.

Okay, I will just stick to the cleaner and hope for the best. By the way, what exactly is the registry and what are these files that need to be cleaned? I just read that this is another way that people can spy on you and since I am paranoid, I thought I better nip this in the bud, but I don't actually understand what I will be cleaning....

Actually you don't need to clean the registry for security unless you are total paranoid. The spy type things are cookies and things planted on your computer from other programs that add aware and those type programs do a good job of removing. The registry is the control center for everything that happens on your computer, what program uses what, where it is etc. After a long time there can be enough old wood to make your computer a little faster to clean it out but it is by no means a requirement, especially with modern processor speeds.

in addition to lopburi3's comments - i wouldnt recommend you do anything to the registry unless you know

a: what youre doing

b: why youre doing it

c: know haw to restore from a registry backup

have you used adaware or spybot - i think theyre pinned in this forum... download and run them periodically.. youre router will offer some firewall like protection too.

Edited by rio666uk

Actually you don't need to clean the registry for security unless you are total paranoid.  The spy type things are cookies and things planted on your computer from other programs that add aware and those type programs do a good job of removing.  The registry is the control center for everything that happens on your computer, what program uses what, where it is etc.  After a long time there can be enough old wood to make your computer a little faster to clean it out but it is by no means a requirement, especially with modern processor speeds.

Well actually I got suspended from ebay awhile back for shill bidding. I still dipute it to this day, but they aren't interested. So I did my homework and got back on. But now I read that in addition to cookies and IP address, they can also trace you by your registry if you don't clean it very often. Does this make any sense? I've also been told that they can track your coputer's MAC address, but I have had this new account for months and I have not been suspended again so I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

Actually you don't need to clean the registry for security unless you are total paranoid.  The spy type things are cookies and things planted on your computer from other programs that add aware and those type programs do a good job of removing.  The registry is the control center for everything that happens on your computer, what program uses what, where it is etc.  After a long time there can be enough old wood to make your computer a little faster to clean it out but it is by no means a requirement, especially with modern processor speeds.

Well actually I got suspended from ebay awhile back for shill bidding. I still dipute it to this day, but they aren't interested. So I did my homework and got back on. But now I read that in addition to cookies and IP address, they can also trace you by your registry if you don't clean it very often. Does this make any sense? I've also been told that they can track your coputer's MAC address, but I have had this new account for months and I have not been suspended again so I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

Not sure about tracing you back by your registry - i dont see how that would work...

but yes certainly you will be traced via MAC address. Some ISPs register your account to you by your MAC address - if you change your network card you will be unable to gain network access untill you have registered the new network cards MAC or Physical Address.

should you need to view the MAC go Start > Run > type "cmd" > ipconfig /all

Not sure about tracing you back by your registry - i dont see how that would work...

but yes certainly you will be traced via MAC address. Some ISPs register your account to you by your MAC address - if you change your network card you will be unable to gain network access untill you have registered the new network cards MAC or Physical Address.

should you need to view the MAC go Start > Run > type "cmd" > ipconfig /all

I would think they would trace the MAC addres too, but I have used the same computer with the new account for months and they haven't suspended the account. I did buy some software to switch my MAC address just in case...

I would think they would trace the MAC addres too, but I have used the same computer with the new account for months and they haven't suspended the account. I did buy some software to switch my MAC address just in case...

yes thats what im saying - if anyone is going to trace you they will do it firstly by IP Address then by MAC if they need to.

they may not have suspended your account either cos they dont know its you... i.e. youre now coming from another IP address and they dont know your MAC or whatever suspension has been lifted.

follow this link - shows you how to change MAC address using regedit32 - as i said before if you change your MAC you probably will not have any net access until you either recieve a new dhcp allocated ip address from your ISP or you register the new MAC with your ISP... so you wont be able to post here for advice - - either way, as before you should take a backup of the registry if youre gonna go poking about in the registry

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Edited by rio666uk

yes thats what im saying - if anyone is going to trace you they will do it firstly by IP Address then by MAC if they need to.

they may not have suspended your account either cos they dont know its you... i.e. youre now coming from another IP address and they dont know your MAC or whatever suspension has been lifted.

follow this link - shows you how to change MAC address using regedit32 - as i said before if you change your MAC you probably will not have any net access until you either recieve a new dhcp allocated ip address from your ISP or you register the new MAC with your ISP... so you wont be able to post here for advice - - either way, as before you should take a backup of the registry if youre gonna go poking about in the registry

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Thanks for the advice. It seems like they would keep a database of all MAC addresses of suspended users and crosscheck them with new accounts. But it doesn't seem that has been done. My old account is still suspended and I am 'prohibited from using ebay in any way'.

Anway, I did experiment with changing my MAC address and I can still get on the Internet no problem. (I've got DSL).

Thanks!

I wouldnt go to mad experimenting - Im not sure why your internet connection didnt fail when you changed your MAC address.

When the MAC is changed a network disconnection would occur - then the newly addressed network card would request a dynamic IP address from your ISPs DHCP server.... until this happens you shouldnt have network access to anything...

but if it worked it worked i guess :o

Edited by rio666uk