Beware Of Accidents With Motorbikes

beswick

Right, here goes,

You have probably heard this all before but I had an accident a couple of months ago where a motorbike overtook me on the inside as I was stationary ready to turn right.

As he was drinving so fast I didn't see him when turning right and as a result he clipped my wing mirror and went over.

This was a minor incident and they are now threatening to take me to court unless I pay them a substantial amount of money. The figures that were being thrown around were as hight as 100,000!

Obviously I wont pay this type of money and my insurance are saying that he was in the wrong but he's looking for a payout.

What should I do? Go to court? Offer to pay him a small amount.

I'd rather keep it out of the courts if possible but I am not getting ripped off.

Advice please.

Yea, insurance turned up and took photographic evidence etc - they dealt with everything and were brilliant!

I have a problem though as I was slightly over the limit from the night before. I had no idea the limit was so low as I was driving the following morning. I would never drink and drive and this came as a huge shock to me.

As they know I was over the limit, they are trying to extort me.

Yea, insurance turned up and took photographic evidence etc - they dealt with everything and were brilliant!

I have a problem though as I was slightly over the limit from the night before. I had no idea the limit was so low as I was driving the following morning. I would never drink and drive and this came as a huge shock to me.

They "know"? They breathalyzed you? Or the BiB did?

It sounds like there may be more to this story? Did you request from the motorcycle driver that the BIB not attend because you may have been over the Thai legal alcohol limit? If the BIB attended and determined you were over the limit are they trying to "extort" money from you? It is very unclear.

weird story..Technically you should of been arrested fro drink driving prosecuted

and possibly been deported(in very rare cases)but if you were never charged then you have nothing to worry about i think. tell them you have no money and can only pay what the insurance covers

Edited by Markland

you see you should never go into the car. You were probably uber waisted the night before and now the shit happens. I hope nobody else gets hurt when you are driving drunk

Definately more to the story. I was recently involved in an accident with a motorbike. No serious injuries but their bike sustained a fair bit of damage. Insurance and old bill came, all parties off to local station.

While there the insurance man said it was all the motorbike drivers fault. They asked for some money towards the repair of the bike and the BIB actually tried to help them by suggesting I was partly to blame. The insurance man said no way, pay nothing and we left.

Like others have said, leave it up to your insurance company.

Although the law may be on your side when you are innocent, Thai practice is to help the other guy if he has a lot less money than you, This is how it works for Thais too and it is not just aimed at foreigners. But everything is related to the initial police report, if there was one, and what that says and what your insurance guys say.

Sad but true advice, also make sure no one tries and grabs the keys off your bike before you get the <deleted> out of there. Furthermore it you are witness to an accident don't even think of being a "good samaritan" and helping the injured; you, being a foreigner, could quickly become involved financially since you have the deepest pockets.

Not sure that two wrongs make that right.

If you try to flee, be prepared to actually get shot at by police or at least chased and what do you gain when they have your licence plate number ?

I think the gist of, getting away quick, is to escape way before police show up and if possible before the other party has a chance to note your license number. And in the case of some dumb ass side-swiping you and going down, while you are upright and unhurt; twist that throttle and leave that mess in your rear-view mirror, don't think, don't hestitate, take about 1/2 a second to catch your breath and split!

• Like 1

Two thousand baht will buy an HD Dash Cam with a 4gb memory card from Tukom 2min. 5 min or 10 min recording options. Never leave home without one!!

agreed , i have two......they are my security blanket

One in front and one in back? Or does 1 system have 2 cameras?

Two thousand baht will buy an HD Dash Cam with a 4gb memory card from Tukom 2min. 5 min or 10 min recording options. Never leave home without one!!

No kidding? Great idea. Will do tomorrow! What floor?

Fourth I think, Tiny little shop just at the top of the staircase, the girl in there speaks good English.

They start and stop automatically when you turn on the engine, store maybe 20 x 2 min movies then over write.

post-22250-0-72065800-1337940202.jpg

agreed , i have two......they are my security blanket

One in front and one in back? Or does 1 system have 2 cameras?

You can get one with a camera facing forward and backward!