Applied For Retirement Visa

Yesterday I travelled to Mae Sai to apply to change my visa from Non Immigrant O to a long time stay. The staff I encountered were extremely helpful. The visa was granted within 20 minutes of us walking in. I asked what visa name I should put on the form. She said retirement visa . I had the stat dec from the Australian Embassy which I had written. Also letter from my super pension provider. The only questions she asked was what my former work was, how long I had worked there. and did I have any sisters and brothers.That cost me 1900 Baht and then I applied for multiple entry which was 3800 Baht. I thought it would be all in one but there are 3 steps. I also filled in a form for 90 days reporting. Had to go and do more photocoping but that was no hassle. There was one in the grounds outside.

This was my first time to Chaing Rai Immigration in Mae Sai. I googled its location and the map said it was 150 metres off the main highway. It is right on the main road and next to TOT building. There is parking in the grounds.The building is about 2km from the border. Advice for any other first timers.

. There was a sign on the gate that read "Please wear courteous clothing". I was worried because I was wearing shorts. They were tailored shorts though. As I walked in I noticed one officer look me up and down but nothing was said. The female officer I dealt with had good English skills

You received a one year extension of stay for retirement using TM.7 form. There should not have been any requirement for the TM.47 90 day address report as the first extension of stay is a 90 day report without that form being required - but probably makes it easier to remember when next report is due having the receipt. You also received a multi re-entry permit so any travel you will use that information as your visa for return.

Is this the exact location? (from our Google map of immigration locations)

https://maps.google....008163,0.012424

A visa is used for entry - an extension of stay allows a longer stay of your visa or visa exempt entry. Any exit of country will result in -the extension ending if you do not obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel and use that for new entry (to get same extension permitted to stay until date).

No this is not correct. It is back down the main road about 2 Kms from the border. It is on the left hand side heading towards the border. The driveway is off Phahon Yothin Rd

Doing the 90 day reporting also allows me to post in if i wanted to. It took 5 minutes and the officer and I were talking about different Thai beers for most of the time.

Visas are typically issued by Embassies and Consulates located in various countries. You can get a permission to enter stamp for 30 days converted to a 90 day non-o visa at Thai Immigration, this is done with the understanding tne non-o will be extended long term to a retirement extension of stay or marriage.

Actually it is only done in the extension of stay process by meeting the requirements and not done by all immigration offices (but Bangkok can be used if local office does not allow). But this thread is about extension of stay as original post mentions 1,900 baht fee which is not the 2,000 baht change/issue of non immigrant visa cost.

A visa is used for entry - an extension of stay allows a longer stay of your visa or visa exempt entry. Any exit of country will result in -the extension ending if you do not obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel and use that for new entry (to get same extension permitted to stay until date).

Excellent info. Thanks

Is this the exact location? (from our Google map of immigration locations) https://maps.google....008163,0.012424 This is the location of the border check point. The Immigration office is just past Thetsaban 15 on Phahon Yothin Rd.

Thank you, ripstanley, for clarifying the location of the Chiang Rai immigration office. I have now moved the marker to the general area you indicated.

View Thailand Immigration Offices in a larger map

I wonder if you can tell me the exact building that houses the immigration office. If you can, kindly use this map lookup tool, click on the building in question, and copy/paste the latitude and longitude into your reply. Thank you very much for your help.

Visas are typically issued by Embassies and Consulates located in various countries. You can get a permission to enter stamp for 30 days converted to a 90 day non-o visa at Thai Immigration, this is done with the understanding tne non-o will be extended long term to a retirement extension of stay or marriage.

Does this mean I can go convert my current 30 day arrival visa to non-O 90 day visa then convert it to retirement visa provided I have all the required documents?

If you qualify for retirement (even if money has not been in bank long enough for actual extension) you can convert to non immigrant visa entry for 2,000 baht at Bangkok immigration and a few others also allow. But you should have about 2 weeks remaining or more on current permitted to stay stamp. Once this is obtained you can then extend for retirement at normal immigration office during the last 30 days of this new 90 day stay.

You received a one year extension of stay for retirement using TM.7 form. There should not have been any requirement for the TM.47 90 day address report as the first extension of stay is a 90 day report without that form being required - but probably makes it easier to remember when next report is due having the receipt. You also received a multi re-entry permit so any travel you will use that information as your visa for return.

Wrong. After the interminable wait and ordering yet a gazillion more copies of my passport/bankbook etc, I'd forgotten (and wasn't reminded) to move to yet another desk for the 90 day reporting form. When i returned 90 days later 2k baht was demanded. When I objected no one had told me to go fetch the 90 day form (as I would have assumed that the bloody Extension To Stay was a given anyway), the fee was upped to 4,000 baht.

This was on Phuket some time ago. This law is there (I've always remembered to apply for the 90 day report since) and can be enforced if they feel bloody minded enough/want some extra lunch money.

Edited by silsburyhill

Is this the exact location? (from our Google map of immigration locations) https://maps.google....008163,0.012424 This is the location of the border check point. The Immigration office is just past Thetsaban 15 on Phahon Yothin Rd.

Thank you, ripstanley, for clarifying the location of the Chiang Rai immigration office. I have now moved the marker to the general area you indicated.

View Thailand Immigration Offices in a larger map

I wonder if you can tell me the exact building that houses the immigration office. If you can, kindly use this map lookup tool, click on the building in question, and copy/paste the latitude and longitude into your reply. Thank you very much for your help.

Where your marker is is spot on. There is a big Immigration sign out the front. The driveway which you can see goes past the front door