So What Was Your Very First Home Computer ?

ThaiLife

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IBM (PS/1 486) *Edit with the disney package,

i returned home from school and my mom told me to go look in the basement "there is a surprise in the basement", and there it was. One of the happiest moment i can remember about owning a product. Beats every xmas by a longshot.

That basement became my den after that haha smile.png

Totantaz

Edited by totantaz

A zx spectrum....posh git, a whole 48k of ram. I eventually got a spectrum 128k, with built in cassette player to load the games.

But that happened years after playing on this:

vic20.jpg

I present to you......The Commodore Vic20, with a full 8-bits.....thumbsup.gif

Edited by LucidLucifer

trs80-i.jpgtrs80-i-name.jpg

CPU: Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz RAM: 4K, 16K max* Ports: Cassette I/O, video, Expansion connector* Display: 12-inch monochrome monitor 64 X 16 text Expansion: External Expansion Interface* Storage: Cassette storage* OS: BASIC in ROM*

• Like 2

Yeah mine was a Spectrum too. I upgraded to each new model as they came along. Used to make pirate game copies tape to tape too.

Hours spent with magazines and typing in the progs only to find either a print error or a typo made by myself so the prog did not work.

Manic Miner ..... ah, so many happy hours playing that.

hey you guys were lucky.

Mine was a Nascom 2 It did not even have a case.

The
Nascom
1 and 2 were
kits issued in 1977 and 1979, respectively, based on the
and including a
and
interface, a
that could be used to store data on a
using the
, and two 8-bit
. At this time, including a full keyboard and
interface was uncommon, as most microcomputer kits were then delivered with only a
keypad and
. To minimize cost, the buyer had to assemble a Nascom by hand-soldering about 3,000 joints on the single circuit board.

nascom2-pcb-half.jpg

I eventually made it to an Amstrad 1512 after brief encounters with a
(my first computer with a floppy drive) followed by a CPM based machine the
Edited by thaimite

I fooled my parents into getting me a BBC Micro Model B as that is what they had at school so better I have the BBC

Countless hours spent playing "Elite", "Revs", "Aviator" and countless text adventures

Still remember the crap joystick for it and having to modify it with rubber bands so it would center!

Then it was the Atari ST and Amiga and the days of "Computer Clubs" which were nothing but copying sessions!

All my knowledge of BBC Basic is long gone now! Used to be decent at Basic

Commodore 64 intheclub.gif

Bastard....I hate you and don't even know you.....I do know the fun you must have had on it, my best mate had one....the <deleted> had a better BMX than me too.

dam_n, I now know where that chip on my shoulder comes from!!!

Edited by LucidLucifer

No time or money for game machines. The Kaypro II could run Wordstar and a Pascal compiler as well. W/ a 300 baud modem to connect to the Uni, got good use out of it. Eat your hearts out, Osborn I owners.

How far we've come.

post-14882-0-50691000-1337958868_thumb.j

Kaypro II Released: 1982 Price: US $1595. Weight: 26 lbs CPU: Zilog Z80, 2.5 MHz RAM: 64K Display: 9" green phosphor screen. 24 X 80 text only Ports: Serial port Parallel port Storage: Two internal 5-1/4" SS-DD 195K drives OS: CP/M, SBASIC

Edited by JSixpack

I started on games consoles... my first was a Sega Master System II and first game was Tazmania... happy days

I didn't get into PCs until my mate introduced me to Championship Manager... no clue what make or model the computer was

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I started on games consoles... my first was a Sega Master System II and first game was Tazmania... happy days

I didn't get into PCs until my mate introduced me to Championship Manager... no clue what make or model the computer was

Here we go again, Championship Manager.....which version did you play? I was on CM2, that thing cost me my first class degree!!

trs80-i.jpgtrs80-i-name.jpg

CPU: Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz RAM: 4K, 16K max* Ports: Cassette I/O, video, Expansion connector* Display: 12-inch monochrome monitor 64 X 16 text Expansion: External Expansion Interface* Storage: Cassette storage* OS: BASIC in ROM*

Me too, but I don't recall the specs!

Here we go again, Championship Manager.....which version did you play? I was on CM2, that thing cost me my first class degree!!

I was addicted to CM 97/98 for a couple of years; didn't affect my studies but did prevent me from sleeping

Boy I am impressed by you guys! I expected to see a couple Commodore 64's and an IBM PC or maybe even an XT !

I'm 53 and I got my first computer in 1989, a 286 with 40 MB drive, 2 floppies and I guess 640K or maybe 1 MB even though DOS could not use it all. Cost about $ 1800 USD in the US. This post is a great trip down memory lane!

My first was an Apple IIc. Two of my dad's buddies had purchased Apple IIe computers and I think this was a bit of keeping up with the Jonses for my Pop because looking back I know it must have been a struggle to afford that little computer. I still remember going to visit my Dad's friend and he had a modem for his IIe. I thought our little computer was pretty darn cool but when he set his phone on top of the modem and called another computer with it I was in awe. Good times. Fun thread! Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

I bought an Apple II + in 1983. even took out a loan for $1800 to help buy it as I recall. I had the 80 column graphics card and something like a 360K external floppy disk drive. Also bought Microsof Fortran software. I hardly used the computer. A few years later I shipped it home to my younger sister. She had just transferred over to a Computer Science degree. She added some things, a modem and what not and she used it in school and for her first job. It helped launch her career so I guess in the long run it was a good buy.

Ahh... the power of the early days.. rolleyes.gif

ZX80-left.jpg

Sinclair ZX80 - 1k, no colour, no sound. Not my first owned, but my first used (as a kid in school)

Went on to actually own....

250px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

then...

PRODTHM-182.jpg

followed by...

amiga500.jpg

..fond memories - used PC's ever since. (never bothered with any apple_logo.png'fruit')