The Case Of The Broken Suitcase

sceadugenga

I bought a better quality imported suitcase in Robinsons this year and one of the handles has come loose, a rivet seems to have given away.

I'm torn between taking it back to be fixed under guarantee, which could be a lengthy process, or giving one of the market shoe repair blokes a crack at it.

What to do, what to do.......

I used to carry a roll of duct tape in case of that type of emergency, however taping the handle back into a permanent position could be a complex operation beyond my engineering skills.

I did too....until the time PER security pulled it out of the bag....held it in the air....snapped wait here and went to see his boss.

They did let me through though.

Edited by harrry

It's a "not for hand luggage" item.

If you were in Chiang Mai, I could point you to a business who repaired my suitcase (Samsonite). For Chiang Rai, can I suggest you try a shoe repair place. They normally have the heavy duty type rivetting tools and other wares. Just a thought, though it may be a case of hit & miss finding a shop that might be able to help.

Edited by Garry

Could you repair it yourself with a small bolt and nut . I always keep a stock from all those broken things that are about to be thrown out especially electrical items. If not then Magic glue comes to the rescue. Most of my luggage has been repaireed at some time with magic glue especially after the baggage handlers at airports have had their evil ways with my luggage . Magic glue goes by a few names but it is that glue that sticks your fingers together in about 1 minute if you are not careful .

Point away Garry, I grace Chiang Mai with my presence quite regularly.

I looked at DIY repairs Xen, I'm not quite as incompetent as I make myself to be (it's a ploy to get people to do stuff for me) but I can't quite work out how to get at the little bolt or rivet that has come loose without damaging the lining.

Point away Garry, I grace Chiang Mai with my presence quite regularly.

I looked at DIY repairs Xen, I'm not quite as incompetent as I make myself to be (it's a ploy to get people to do stuff for me) but I can't quite work out how to get at the little bolt or rivet that has come loose without damaging the lining.

I actually had a similar problem a few weeks ago on an old case and to drag a bit more use out of it i used the magic glue .

I was just thinking a pop rivet may do the trick (or blind rivet as they are sometimes called0 . Using a pop rivet you dont need to get thru the lining inside the case. Must have the pop rivet gun tho .

In the last hour, shamed and encourged by your DIY advice, I've worked out how to open the liner... a hidden zipper... and replaced a self tapping screw that had fallen out.

It still worries me though, I believe that once a screw has fallen out it will continue to do so.

Maybe a slightly larger screw.... ?

In the last hour, shamed and encourged by your DIY advice, I've worked out how to open the liner... a hidden zipper... and replaced a self tapping screw that had fallen out.

It still worries me though, I believe that once a screw has fallen out it will continue to do so.

Or some Loctite?

Or some Loctite?

superglue, epoxy or fingernail polish in a pinch

Or some Loctite?

superglue, epoxy or fingernail polish in a pinch

I'm a big fan of epoxy's & metal set compounds. I did some 2 minute epoxy repairs on my Ducati inlet grills mounting points and they came out like new and solid. You would also be amazed how good bear brand glue is, when used correctly. ;)

Dear Sceadugenga,

I'm sorry that you have a broken case & I sincerely hope that you can get it fixed.

To cheer you,i enclose this link to Rhod Gilbert's frustration and wrath when his case arrived damaged !

Hope it makes you smile

Best Wishes

Wiley