Import of pets

erwin

Erwin...

You can bring them but I have posted a couple of related comments ref:from our friends at Pats-Ex....which you might like to consider...

Most Airlines require a stop-over every 12 hours and proper Medicals from your  vet. You should have no trouble in bringing them to Bangkok.  

Just been given a quote by Animal airline for my 2 cats from Heathrow to Bangkok: £447.00 Total ...everything.

I had 2 cats in the UK and the hardest thing to do was leave them behind. I have a very good freind who now looks after them. You see Cats out here are a stronger breed and can survive. You would be giving your moggys a death sentence bringing them here. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but it's true. UK cats are not cut out for the diseases that exist over here they WILL catch them.

One word of caution. Many condos and almost all hotels do not allow pets. Also, the Thais (love em) have a habit of poisoning cats and dogs.

Rabies is also a big problem, and because there are so very many strays there is a higher incidence of....

:o

We brought three dogs from Cyprus to Chiangmai via Bangkok, transit only.

Requirements were:

1)Pre booking of space with airline(s)

2)Type of animal and breed.

3)Size of container/kennel + weight including animal.

4) Health certificate issued within 2 days of travel also showing rabies shots.

5)Arrange or wait for gov vet on arrival, took us 1 hour total with no prior arrangement.

6)Customs may ask for a fee depending on type and usage for animal. We did not have to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the above comments, I brought a family cat with me when I moved from the USA to Bangkok 4 years ago.  As stated, check with your air carrier regarding requirements for transporting your cat to Bangkok.  

We flew Korean Airlines business class and we just brought the cat with us into the cabin in a proper cat carrying cage.  She stayed with us the entire flight stowed by our feet and came through with flying colours.  Now, this might not be possible in econony class due to the space constraints.

when I was planning this move, I also enquired of Northwest Airlines and they too would allow the cat to be carried into the cabin with the passenger if the class of travel was business or first (there really are 2 standards...one for the rich and then for the rest of us).

Now, as to your real question of requirements of bringing a pet into Thailand.  I researched the topic and really found nothing (at the time - 4 years ago).  I just followed airline recommendations re taking a pet to ANY foreign country, i.e., get a international vetrinary vaccination certificate and general health check-up prior to the journey.  Well, this in hand, the family and cat went off to Bangkok.  

So what happened at the airport in Bangkok...we all exit the plane and pass through immigration without incident.  One final check to go...the customs check and quarantine areas.

As we had, if memory serves me, around 12-13 bags, we were waived on over by customs officials for a bag inspection.  As our visas were all in order and were not carrying any contraband or illegal substances there was no problem.  When they came upon the cat carries with cat, what did they say/do..."what a cute cat...what is the name?"  Then the inspector sticks his finger into the cage to play with the cat and tell us how cute it is.  I have my International Vaccination Cert. at the ready (cost something like $200) and expect him to ask to see it but no...nothing...nada.  

Our inspection is finished and the officials waive us on through and "next please."  Apparently, the certificate and the cost were for not.  Anyway, at least we had no problem bringing our little cat all the way to Bangkok.

That was our experience 4 years.  I cannot say your's will be the same.  Maybe with all this SARS stuff they are more strict about bringing pets into the country or just more strict generally.  I would say, however, that if you have a medical cert for the cat and vaccination cert., you should be fine.  The way I figure it (and maybe the Thais do too) is that anything your cat may have is already present in Thailand so they are not keeping anything out that they do not already have.  Therefore, the ease in bringing in at least domestic pets from Western/First World countries.

Hopes this helps.