Isaan Trip Report

farang000999

Visited some family of my wife and spent some time visiting them in their villiage. for those who have never been to an Isaan villiage it is an interesting experience. Most of the houses do not have air conditioning so they just keep the doors and windows of the homes open and most everyone spends their time sitting outside their homes on a ceramic bench. Everyone is fairly close and will just walk into and out of each others homes. They are in a constant state of gossip. I would say that the majority of the young girls have a child by a husband with whom she is divorced and the child was beared quite young, almost always younger than 18. I guess the Thai men in Isaan like to hit it quick when it's young and then hit the road. The whiskey flows and when we arrived at noon unannounced and they were already at it. The men seem to spend most of their time drinking and sleeping. As far as I can tell, the main sources of income in Isaan is selling the land of their ancestors and sending their daughters to find a farang husband. every few kilometers you will see a large nice house owned by an elderly farang. it seems very unusual and you dont know why someone would want to build a nice home in the middle of a crappy villiage but the reason is that the mia farang wants to live close to her family and rub it in everyones face that she has a rich farang. for the most part, the men in isaan seem very happy and you can understand why. the atmosphere is beautiful, the food is cheap and plentiful, the whiskey flows and the women are cute. the young women seem very miserable. as soon as you arrive you start hearing stories about so and so who ran away and how her parents dont want to ever see her again. when they sell up their land (probably to a Vietnamese/Chinese/anyone besides an Ethnic Thai) they just use the proceeds to buy material stuff. in the villiage there are plenty of ipads and shiny cars and gold jewelry but i doubt anyone owns a business other than a food stand outside of their home. you would think at some point someone would notice a repetitive cycle of young women being impregnanted and abandoned and suggest the usage of birth control but apparently not. when you go to isaan you can really understand why there is so much "bitterness" amongst farang on thai visa. i am sure when the farang showed up he got the royal treatment and felt like a big shot and saw all the whiskey and cute girls about and thought he found Eden, only to eventually see the truth a bit later. However, if the farang is an alcoholic he will probably be happy there. Even in town I did not see a single business run by ethnic thais. It would seem that every piece of commercial real estate is chinese/vietnamese/thai-chinese run and operated. i dont know what is going to happen to the ethnic thais when they run out of land to sell. they seem to have no value for education or desire to work hard. i am sure despite all of this that there are some who were raised in this atmosphere who were able to escape and find an education or good job elsewhere. these people really deserve a pat on the back as an Isaan villiage is like two twenty Kilo weights chained to your ankle.

Just a suggestion, and please don't take offence.

Your well written post would be 1,000% more 'reader-friendly' if you broke it down into several paragraphs.

That huge bloock of text puts most people off reading it.

Mobi

Second that.

Nicely written though. :)

Where they live is not far off a main road so the land is valuable. My wife showed me what they used to own and it was quite impressive or is that depressive? One of my wife's relatives just sold up some land split three ways, one million baht each although this did not stop her from putting her hand out at every opportunity. I saw plenty of johnny walker bottles abandoned in the yard. I don't know if the bottles are piled up in the front of the homes for the purpose of recyling later on or as a status symbol. overall the standard of living is not bad besides the bathroom situation and flies. the women are told what to do and when to do it and the young girls prounce around in tiny shorts and straddle the backs of motorcycles and float around the villiage with their jet black hair, smooth soft skin and piercing eyes and as they pass the young Thai men give them the most genuine smiles you will ever see.

Neither do the etans, even if you could afford it, there is very little point.

The entire time we where there all they talked about was how they were planning on installing air condition in the near future. One of the homes already had it and abandoned their ceramic bench out front, to the ire of the community.

I still haven't been to Issan. Never really had a reason to go... You haven't really sold it to me though to be fair. whistling.gif

The Op is one mans opinion, Hardly a bases for conclusions,

I Just came back to the US from Isaan, where I stayed for several months, and my experience was entirely different. I was involved with doing some work at our property, and I had a hard time finding people to work for me, every one had steady jobs.In the morning when we were going to the property in the village, it looked funny because every one was driving the opposite direction going to work, It looked like a mad exodus same thing in the evening when we were leaving the village, and everyone was returning..Hardly a situation where all the man stayed home , drunk whiskey and slept.

When I come to Thailand, I spend one or two days in BKK and then head for Isaan, If i could fly directly to Khon Kaen, I would probably never see BKK, , The people are friendly , honest and hard working, The land is beautiful, and the air is clean .

I love it there.

PS: there and in the other provinces is where the real Thailand is,

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

I still haven't been to Issan. Never really had a reason to go... You haven't really sold it to me though to be fair. whistling.gif

I Just came back to the US from Isaan, where I stayed for several months, and my experience was entirely different. I was involved with doing some work at our property, and I had a hard time finding people to work for me, every one had steady jobs.In the morning when we were going to the property in the village, it looked funny because every one was driving the opposite direction going to work, It looked like a mad exodus same thing in the evening when we were leaving the village, and everyone was returning..Hardly a situation where all the man stayed home , drunk whiskey and slept.

When I come to Thailand, I spend one or two days in BKK and then head for Isaan, If i could fly directly to Khon Kaen, I would probably never see BKK, , The people are friendly , honest and hard working, The land is beautiful, and the air is clean .

I love it there.

I am of a different opinion about your first line. The OP hasn't only expressed his opinion but told of facts and experience.

He hasn't said that all Isan is like that. But why don't you believe his words about his visit??

On the other hand, why would your opinion count? Is it a basis for conclusion?

I love it there.

I am of a different opinion about your first line. The OP hasn't only expressed his opinion but told of facts and experience.

He hasn't said that all Isan is like that. But why don't you believe his words about his visit??

On the other hand, why would your opinion count? Is it a basis for conclusion?

It should not.

and you are right, I used the wrong word, I should had said, experience, not opinion

even though some opinions were expressed by the OP, such as

However, if the farang is an alcoholic he will probably be happy there.

That was certainly an opinion and not an observation.

well of course there are probably not too many happy alcoholics but that said drinking is a definitely a vital part of the culture here. it is standard for every other home to have a small business out front and a moment did not pass from noon onwards where i did not see someone drinking. there also is not a whole lot to do besides enjoy the beautiful scenery and warm weather. empty whiskey bottles tattered the landscape. my post was really not meant to be taken negatively. my general feelings about the villiage I visited is that the men have it very good and the women do not. We all know Thailand is a paternal country. I am happy to hear that my experience was not the same as everyone's. Perhaps this village, being located on relatively valuable land has created a sort of laziness in it's inhabinants. even when we showed up a bunch of the neighbors came around thinking we were buyers. it seems that the ethnic thais have been cursed with plentiful food, beautiful women and scenery and drink. the vietnamese and chinese seemed to be running things.

Perhaps this village, being located on relatively valuable land has created a sort of laziness in it's inhabinants. .

This i possible,

Most people in the village in Isaan would make about 300 bht a day working at a local factory or business.I can easily see how some one with properties worth several million baht , more money than they would make in a lifetime working at 300 bht a day, might choose to sell such property, and not bother to work.

and that could have a negative affect on once drinking habits.

But most people in Isaan are not that fortunate.

When I replied earlier, it was not in response to your OP but in response to some one else s reply that stated

"I still haven't been to Issan. Never really had a reason to go... You haven't really sold it to me though to be fair."

and I was rather ineptly trying to say that your experience in Isaan was not the universal experience.

To be fair to you, you did say it was a report, and you reported what you show.

I love it there.

Oh I didn't mean that judging on the OP's report that I will not go to Issan. I have just never had the chance or felt the need to go. I've not really heard anything bad about the place apart from the few negatives that the OP experienced. Please don't think I am basing my opinion and conclusion on Issan by other people's judgements and opinions.

As an elderly farang with a large house living in Isan.... (good start?)..... I know other parts of Thailand as well as Southern Isan where I live. Airconditioning is unusual, and it is good manners to leave your front door open as a sign of welcome.

But I can't see why OP can't learn to split his lucubrations up into paragraphs. Why, even in backwoods Isan we can do that.

But in all seriousness (I'm only on the first bottle of Chang), the life of the villages all over Thailand is being turned topsy-turvy by modernisation, and not least by the price of farmland.

Honestly can't say I have come across any Chinese land or business ownership in my neck of the Isaan woods and never, ever heard of any major Vietnamese incursions. However, Isaan is a huge geographical area and there's no denying that some areas may be of more interest to foreign investment than others. Where I live, the local farm land prices have been rising due to investments in rubber by southern Thais after their wipe-out in the southern provinces flooding early last year. More recently, Bangkok Thais of Chinese ethnicity have been buying more urban land after they 'discovered' Isaan when hiding from the 'flood that never was' in Bangkok. This isn't the same as the Chinese buying it IMHO.

Other statements about pretty local girls, teen pregnancies, indolent, whisky drinking males, foreign-owned mansions could have been copy-pasted from any of the mostly negatively-biased forums or 'travel guides'. The view that the incumbent Thai is only keen on selling his land and daughters to foreigners is just too sweeping a generalisation. As for the lack of motivation to get an education; in light of what a total shambles the Thai educational system is with its perpetual focus on making sure that dumb kids from families with money get schooling and the bright but impoverished ones can go to blazes, maybe they aren't really missing out on anything.

I mean, what is the OP's point? He is married to an Issan lady therefore is this his last hurrah of objective reporting before assuming his own position in the community in question with a decent house, a couple of cars, a noodle shop out front and a wife who wants to rub the neighbours noses in something?

• Like 2

Honestly can't say I have come across any Chinese land or business ownership in my neck of the Isaan woods and never, ever heard of any major Vietnamese incursions.

I lived up there for a couple of years and was bored silly after the novelty had worn-off.

I really doubt the OP's assertions that the Vietnamese are buying-up land and owning business in the moo-bans and the large cities such as Korat, Khon-Khen, Surin etc.. Anyone have any evidence to support this ?

Where they live is not far off a main road so the land is valuable. My wife showed me what they used to own and it was quite impressive or is that depressive? One of my wife's relatives just sold up some land split three ways, one million baht each although this did not stop her from putting her hand out at every opportunity. I saw plenty of johnny walker bottles abandoned in the yard. I don't know if the bottles are piled up in the front of the homes for the purpose of recyling later on or as a status symbol. overall the standard of living is not bad besides the bathroom situation and flies. the women are told what to do and when to do it and the young girls prounce around in tiny shorts and straddle the backs of motorcycles and float around the villiage with their jet black hair, smooth soft skin and piercing eyes and as they pass the young Thai men give them the most genuine smiles you will ever see.

Sat laughing at all this bullshite.. The girls r told what to do haha never heard so much tripe off one person... You obviously didnt stay long to come to that evaluation

• Like 1

I just love sweeping generalisations based on one quick visit.

Most of the houses do not have air conditioning

Neither do the etans, even if you could afford it, there is very little point.

I just can't wait until zzaa09 wakes up and contributes to this thread....................

• Like 1

I agree with the OP on many points, but also disagree. I haven't observed young women being miserable, just playing by the rules of rural existence. Also a pointer on the alcoholics: there aren't many jobs in small villages, so the able men often work inBKK or other cities where the jobs are. The men you see sipping laukhau at noon are the ones who couldn't get a job anywhere or are just plain too lazy. So the observations are valid, but gery localized.

i do not know what village you talking about in isan but for me my family and my friend and all in our village can not accetp this,,, better you choose your next wife more careful and come from a good village and good family then you will see people in isan very different. i'm interest in every bodys thinking on this?
  • Like 1