Dash Cam

Lobo4819

Anyone out there know if there are dashboard cameras available in CM? I haven't checked Pantip yet, but will be going by there tomorrow. I'm looking for the one that records a video from the dashboard and can be set for different recording times. Have heard that they are invaluable at traffic stops and in accident situations.

• Like 1

re .. Anyone out there know if there are dashboard cameras available in CM?

yes ... go in the front door of icon square ... down the steps

and head to the right ... theres a small i pad shop on the corner that has them in the side window

dave2

post-42592-0-11808900-1338124189_thumb.j

> Have heard that they are invaluable at traffic stops and in accident situations.

Not really. You should have insurance. Then the unsurance company takes care of whatever needs taking care of. I personally wouldn't bother discussing things with the other party using a camera device. Let the insurance guy decide who's fault it was, usually determined just by which side of the vehicle the damage is.

In some traffic stops it may be useful, though only lame-ass ones of the type where a cop is claiming you used the right-most lane too long or ran a red light or whatever. Most though are not of that type, and I've never encountered a stop of that type in 15 years. Most stops are routine checks of a driver's license or road tax card, or speeding, which a camera won't help with. My wife was stopped last week for an emissions check (yes, they apparently exists. blink.png ) Camera doesn't help with that either.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

> Have heard that they are invaluable at traffic stops and in accident situations.

Not really. You should have insurance. Then the unsurance company takes care of whatever needs taking care of. I personally wouldn't bother discussing things with the other party using a camera device. Let the insurance guy decide who's fault it was, usually determined just by which side of the vehicle the damage is.

Rubbish! You said it (I guess a typo) the unsurance company, will have first hand evidence of the truth...or pretty much of it, and surely better than arriving to work it out themelves from the rectangular chalk marks and the chalkline of a bike adjacent.

I think helmet cams are invaluable in many situations.....it may record a pssed driver changing seats with a mate before the cops arrives, it may show some errattic driving prior to the biker wrapping himself around a truck...it may show a stray dog was the cause entirely.

In the uk these cams are a pretty standard piece of kit for the police/firefighters/paramedics for recording evidence; even linked directly via wi fi to a control centre.

How reassuring is it to have your family see your last moments alive; and have at least some comfort knowing you were faultless if a court case pursued.

(not intentionally being callous here-just a consideration though)

I wasn't looking for a cheap helmet cam, as I wanted it for my car (and yes, I have insurance). I agree that one can certainly help to set the record straight, and be used as an assist to your insurance or the BiB when lots of other folk have assembled and begin to have contests to see who can make up the most outrageous story about what happened.

I found something that fits the bill, online, from a company called Zetronics - you can access their site by adding the .com and check out car cameras. Their entry model costs $89 US (plus the usual to get it here), and has an infrared feature for night time use and a 120 degree range of view. Depending on the size of the card you want to buy it can record at least an hour of driving, then begins over-writing the earliest recorded data in two-minute segments. Cheap insurance add-on, in my opinion.

Another use is to record your weekend drives in beautiful parts of the country, then you can send them to your friends (or enemies) by using a card reader and your computer.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know where I can have a dashcam installed in my car? It should autocharge from the car battery, loop, switch on and off with the car engine — in short, not require me to do anything till I need it in case of an accident.

Thanks.

T

I am currently looking to purchase the BlackVue DR400G-HD II

There are a couple of suppliers in Thailand, they can be found on the net. They ship within Thailand.

Depending on the type of car you have they can be wired directly to your battery, or through the fuse box. Some can fun through a battery saver device and operate while parked (triggered to record when they register movement).

All of the information is widely available on the net, including installation videos etc..

Edited by richard_smith237

I bought a 1,200 baht 5MP car video cam at Icon Plaza 2 weeks ago. Takes SD card up to 32 gig for video, still and audio storage. Lazada sell them online for 995 Bt.

We've done 2,000 km's with it plugged into cig lighter and it's fully auto on/off + writes over files as memory fills up. Stores up to 4 hours of HD vid.

The GoPro Hero is a pro-camera and used by bikers > http://gopro.com/

• Like 1

I bought a 1,200 baht 5MP car video cam at Icon Plaza 2 weeks ago. Takes SD card up to 32 gig for video, still and audio storage. Lazada sell them online for 995 Bt.

We've done 2,000 km's with it plugged into cig lighter and it's fully auto on/off + writes over files as memory fills up. Stores up to 4 hours of HD vid.

What model? Would you recommend it? Is the video quality ok?

Edited by MESmith

I wasn't looking for a cheap helmet cam, as I wanted it for my car (and yes, I have insurance). I agree that one can certainly help to set the record straight, and be used as an assist to your insurance or the BiB when lots of other folk have assembled and begin to have contests to see who can make up the most outrageous story about what happened.

I found something that fits the bill, online, from a company called Zetronics - you can access their site by adding the .com and check out car cameras. Their entry model costs $89 US (plus the usual to get it here), and has an infrared feature for night time use and a 120 degree range of view. Depending on the size of the card you want to buy it can record at least an hour of driving, then begins over-writing the earliest recorded data in two-minute segments. Cheap insurance add-on, in my opinion.

Another use is to record your weekend drives in beautiful parts of the country, then you can send them to your friends (or enemies) by using a card reader and your computer.

I like the idea of recording for sharing the country side. I wish I had one when I was traveling alone coming up Highway 101 the coast highway in California.

For use in traffic not sure. If you are in the accident yes it will show accurately what happened with in its range of view. Might be you are at fault and will be disposing of it rather quickly. With a helmet camera you could interview witness on the spot before they leave. Hard to get them to stand in front of the dashboard camera.

If it is a routine stop by the boys in blue it might cause a bit of retaliation from the officer. He might not write the ticket or take the bribe but he might go over your vehicle looking for some thing wrong.

If it was me stopped I would turn the camera off when the officer approaches me not want to antagonize him.

I just thought is there any Women Thai police officers?

Dolly,

I suppose because you are in and out of Immigration so fast for your 90 day reports you miss the female Thai police officers.

You must see them when you do your extensions.... You have been here 7 years.

MSPain

• Like 1

Dolly,

I suppose because you are in and out of Immigration so fast for your 90 day reports you miss the female Thai police officers.

MSPain

Well I will consider the source and answer the question for you No I never noticed them. Are you sure they are police officers and not immigration officers?

I take it by your feeble attempt to discredit me you are in complete agre4ement on the rest of my points. Now that is sad as there is room for other opinions there.

Edited by hellodolly

What model? Would you recommend it? Is the video quality ok?

It's a no-name, comes in white box with blue 'HD Video' on it. For the price it's cheap insurance in the event of a frontal incident... eg: red-light runner. Not recommended for family keepsake videos but adequate for recording traffic, recording rego plates (in full HD mode).

• Like 1

I like the idea of recording for sharing the country side. I wish I had one when I was traveling alone coming up Highway 101 the coast highway in California.

For use in traffic not sure. If you are in the accident yes it will show accurately what happened with in its range of view. Might be you are at fault and will be disposing of it rather quickly. With a helmet camera you could interview witness on the spot before they leave. Hard to get them to stand in front of the dashboard camera.

If it is a routine stop by the boys in blue it might cause a bit of retaliation from the officer. He might not write the ticket or take the bribe but he might go over your vehicle looking for some thing wrong.

If it was me stopped I would turn the camera off when the officer approaches me not want to antagonize him.

You've over thought this one Dolly... The BIB aren't going to be bothered by a cam unless you flaunt its presence by sticking it in their face. There is no reason to be scared of the Police in Thailand, they aren't going to over react if you are polite - they are simply people doing a job and through years of 'the system' they top up their pockets with a little side cash. We call it bribery, they simply call it a harmless part of the system...

With regards to interviewing witnesses... your phone can do that if you wish..

I am certain that having a Dash Cam mounted in a car can do no harm, I'm also certain that should an accident take place there is a good chance (not 100%) that it will get caught on cam.

Of course no system is perfect, but its better than no system.

I know a few female Police officers through friends (who are also Police) but they don't work the roads etc and tend not to work traffic and work in immigration etc (which is part of the Royal Thai Police by the way).

• Like 1

You've over thought this one Dolly... The BIB aren't going to be bothered by a cam unless you flaunt its presence by sticking it in their face. There is no reason to be scared of the Police in Thailand, they aren't going to over react if you are polite - they are simply people doing a job and through years of 'the system' they top up their pockets with a little side cash. We call it bribery, they simply call it a harmless part of the system...

With regards to interviewing witnesses... your phone can do that if you wish..

I am certain that having a Dash Cam mounted in a car can do no harm, I'm also certain that should an accident take place there is a good chance (not 100%) that it will get caught on cam.

Of course no system is perfect, but its better than no system.

I know a few female Police officers through friends (who are also Police) but they don't work the roads etc and tend not to work traffic and work in immigration etc (which is part of the Royal Thai Police by the way).

You are rite I did over think that part of it.

I had forgot about the smart phone thing. If you own one it would do the trick.

As I had said there is lots of room for discussion on this one.

Just don't over think it.tongue.png

Thanks for the clarification on the police thing.

Dolly,

MSPain

Well I will consider the source and answer the question for you No I never noticed them. Are you sure they are police officers and not immigration officers?

I take it by your feeble attempt to discredit me you are in complete agre4ement on the rest of my points. Now that is sad as there is room for other opinions there.

I guess you didn't know that Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police Department? No attempts at discrediting anything. You should be made aware that Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police so that would answer your question as to whether there are female police officers.

How did you know I am feeble?

I also noticed you thanked someone for mentioning Immigration being part of police, yet you say I was trying to discredit you.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Dolly,

MSPain

I guess you didn't know that Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police Department? No attempts at discrediting anything. You should be made aware that Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police so that would answer your question as to whether there are female police officers.

How did you know I am feeble?

I also noticed you thanked someone for mentioning Immigration being part of police, yet you say I was trying to discredit you.

MSPain

You might want to reread your method of replying it was not posted in a manor that would lead one to believe you were trying to answer the question.

I thanked Richard because he explained that the Immigration officers were a part of the Royal Thai Police.

You offhandedly mentioned a few hanging around there. You said nothing about them working at the counters or that all the immigration officers were Royal Thai Police.

If you are going to be so sensitive you might want to rephrase your posting.

• Like 1

Hello,

Has anybody directly connected his dashcam to the battery to record even when the car is parked ?

Is it possible to add a second battery in the car to avoid emptying the main one ?

Thanks.

Hello,

Has anybody directly connected his dashcam to the battery to record even when the car is parked ?

Is it possible to add a second battery in the car to avoid emptying the main one ?

Thanks.

The camera/recorder units don't draw very much current so you could likely leave your car for several days. No worries at all if you drive your car every day.