Fortuner Fuel Consumption

chuang

Next time I'll take some pictures and post it! Most wasnt 150km/h it was 165-170kh/m! Ok whatever!!!!

Hmmm.....that'll make an interesting excuse to the insurance/police should you crash :o

"Sorry officer, this person on thai visa motoring forum didn't believe I could average a 134+kph from bkk to chang mai, so I took my hands off the wheel to video/take pictures as proof" :D assuming you'd survive of course.

Still I can remember way back when crossing Germany from Netherland to Denmark on my way to Finland in my Seat Ibiza GTi F2 rally car (the real thing not a replica with an aftermarket body kit) took me just 2-3 hours including a stop for fuel and a bite to eat. Really miss the autobahns......... :D

> I got a question for all you guys. The other day I went to Uttaradit with my Tuner and

> when I arrived at my destination the mileage read 497Km. I was surprised coz my

> other car always read 535km??? The Tuner has 20 inch wheels, does this have an

> effect??????? I also believe perhaps the speed might not be precise????

Of course. When I bought my car second hand it came with bigger tyres. So big in fact that when going off-road and doing a tight turn, the tyres would scrape against the wheel casings.. duh. So when the tyres were due to be changed I changed back to the more standard size. What an incredible improvement, and not only because the speedometer and odometer now show more correct values; also wheel-torque improved dramatically. IMHO it's pretty insane to fit bigger wheels/tyres on vehicles that aren't designed for it and without also changing the gear ratios. You end up with something that just LOOKS nice but is a change for the worse in every other aspect. If I were Toyota/Isuzu etc I would definitely invalidate people's warranty for anything relating to the drive-train when people change wheel size.

OK, I was a little hasty; I missed some of the following comments due to crappy page loading. I assume therefore that your 'average' speed of 135kph was taken from the on-board trip computer?

I shall leave it to your conscience to determine whether driving a car at 170 - 180 kph (terminal velocity in a Fortuner) in darkness and withh your family asleep in the back is responsible. Forget your own safety and think of the other road users who might get in your way and be killed or maimed.

Safe constant high speed driving requires roads (such as Autobahns and Motorways) that are designed with speed in mind not to mention driver training and skill. Very few stretches of road in Thailand, even the 120 kph sections, if deserted, are safe for speeds in excess of the posted limit.

Next time I'll take some pictures and post it! Most wasnt 150km/h it was 165-170kh/m! Ok whatever!!!!

When I bought my car second hand it came with bigger tyres. So big in fact that when going off-road and doing a tight turn, the tyres would scrape against the wheel casings.. duh. So when the tyres were due to be changed I changed back to the more standard size. What an incredible improvement, and not only because the speedometer and odometer now show more correct values; also wheel-torque improved dramatically.

Changing to big tyres/wheels as is the fashion is generally a terrible idea, they are designed that size for a reason.

It:

Makes a bumpy ride.

Probably wears the steering.

Reduces the downward pressure to cut through water and mud to get to the surface below.

Alters the gearing.

Sprays mud up the sides of the car.

And is expensive!

I had a Thai girlfriend who used to turn up either in a Fortuner, when they were just out, or a top of range Toyota saloon. She dressed beautifully, and when we ate out, she'd say she was going to the loo, and try to sneakily pay the bill!!

It felt good being picked up by a great looking bird in a great looking Fortuner, and we would use that instead of mu humble Vitara. It only took a couple of trips to change my mind. I absolutely hated the Fortuner. Possibly OK on the open road, except one is so low inside one feels like the boy peering over the wall in "Wot me?". Terrible to park. I believe it still has leaf springs on the back, so if you cut the top off you could load it up with garlic and feel at home.

The Vitara however is still the perfect car for Thailand!

Agree completely of course, but you're incorrect about the suspension of the Fortuner: It's the first pick-up derived SUV that takes advantage of the new relaxed tax rules, which means it no longer HAS to have a wheel-base the length of a tennis court and it does not have to use leaf springs. Indeed it uses coils in the back.. A rather similar setup to a Vitara actually, which also has the live axel + coils in the back.

(Not saying that therefore the ride cannot be terrible like you mentioned; I didn't drive a Fortuner yet. Merely saying that its a MUCH improved design compared to previous pick-up-derived SUV's, very much including the current hog Isuzu is offering. :o )

And err, did you break up with the gorgeous, bill paying lady because of this? :D If so, can I have her phone number?

> The Vitara however is still the perfect car for Thailand!

Especially if it came with a beefy diesel engine. :D

Tut. Tut! The last time I drove down that road it was posted at 120kph.

Why would you not recommend it terdsak?

I had my Tuner upto 180K onthe Bang-Na - Chonburi elevated expressway. Safest road in Thailand for going fast. I wouldn't recommend it though.,

Hey perhaps we should all meet uo 1 day and at Pattaya circuit and test our cars and share some information. I wouldn't letting you guys test my fortuner.

Just yesterday, I let this guy who drives a Fortuner test my Fortuner. After he tested, he asked me what suspension I had installed....I told him Kayaba. You know the standard suspension, shen taking a corner a bit fast it tends to wobble, but not mine. He siad he will buy em!

I also notice that his standard wheels and tires were the same height! So, it cant be worse. The standard wheels is 17inch...tires 265/70/17 mine 20 inch wheels...tires 265/50/20. Its same in height.

Now Im confused! The mileage should read the same and the speed to then?????? Somebody tell me some!!!

Hey, it would be really nice to do a car day (meet together) talk about cars and drive around!!!

Just what we need, an over confident driver in a big brute car that believes he is invincible. Then as he is racing up your arse on the highway at 170kph he pulls out his camera to take a pic of his hero speed.

I was not replying to you [xxxxxx], try [xxxxxxxxxxx]

-----

[Moderator hat on] To everyone: Please, no need to call people names. And it's a public forum, anyone is encouraged to comment on anything related to the current topic or any other post. [/Chanchao]

Edited by chanchao

My Fortuner averaged 11.7 Kms per litre when I had done the first 1500 Kms, now it is down to 10.7 as I am back in Pattaya traffic, still good for a motor that size.

As for the guy who thinks a Vitara is a better motor than the Fortuner...Ummmm.... :o

Baht for Baht, the Fortuner takes a lot of beating, must be the best value around.

As for the guy who thinks a Vitara is a better motor than the Fortuner...Ummmm.... :D

Good one!!!

Hi Terdsak, I mailed you about a Fortuner just before you went back to England, I was in Khon Kaen just after the new year and they had a silver one in stock, I traded in my Tiger and picked it up the next day. Not bad after he had told me there was a 2 month waiting list for that colour, then when I said I was a Cash buyer who did not want the black one I was offered, he went to see the manager and the deal was sealed, I think I jumped the queue.

The test drive sold me the car, very good motor. Pity I could not find a Suzuki showroom though, oh well............................... :o