Suu Kyi To Be Focus Of Interest At WEF: Thailand

webfact

WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM

Suu Kyi to be focus of interest at WEF

The Nation

30183030-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will host the World Economic Forum on East Asia for the first time this week - an event that is expected to draw intense international attention due to the participation of Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar's opposition leader.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will preside over the opening of the WEF on East Asia, with 600 participants from 50 countries expected to attend from May 30-June 1.

It remains to be seen whether Suu Kyi, who will travel abroad for the first time in 24 years, will steal the show at the WEF as she is scheduled to deliver a speech. U Thein Sein, president of Myanmar, was also scheduled to make a presentation at the WEF on June 1 on Myanmar's recent political and economic reform, but for unclear reasons, he won't be able to make it. But Thein Sein is scheduled to visit Thailand next Monday and Tuesday to discuss border issues with army leaders. Deputy Prime Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha will welcome him, and he is likely to meet Yingluck on Tuesday next week.

The theme of this year's forum is "Shaping the Region's Future through Connectivity". Bangkok will welcome over 50 public figures representing 20 countries, including the heads of state or government of Indonesia, Laos and Vietnam.

One of the heavyweight sessions will see Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Al Khalifa, prime minister of Bahrain; Nguyen Tan Dung, prime minister of Viet-nam; Thongsing Thammavong, prime minister of Laos; Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, president of Indonesia, and Yingluck sharing their views on the challenges and opportunities shaping East Asia.

More than 450 business leaders, over 60 global growth companies, 33 young global leaders and 14 social entrepreneurs along with other members of civil society and academia will convene to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing East Asia today.

"This year's meeting is an exceptional opportunity not only for leaders from East Asia, but also from outside the region, as the Asean countries are a major evolving geopolitical and geo-economic pillar of the global economy," Sushant Palakurthi Rao, senior director and head of Asia at the World Economic Forum, said yesterday.

"We are pleased to host the World Economic Forum on East Asia, which will not only be a great opportunity to showcase Thailand's progress in the economic and political spheres, but will also be a good chance for government and business leaders from around the world to discuss how to increase bilateral and regional cooperation," said Deputy PM and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong.

The 21st East Asia meeting will also bring together international public figures such as Susan Collins, a Republican senator from the US; Marcio Favilla Lucca de Paula, executive director for competitiveness, external relations and partnerships at the World Tourism Organisation; Martin Ferguson, Australia's minister for resources, energy and tourism; and Charlotte Petri Gornitzka, director general of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.

Other big names include Gloria Guevara Manzo, Mexico's secretary of tourism; Tatsuo Hirano, Japan's minister for reconstruction and minister for the comprehensive review of measures in response to the Great East Japan Earthquake; Idris Jala, a Malaysian Prime Minister's Office minister; Pascal Lamy, director general of the World Trade Organisation; Mustapa Mohamed, Malaysia's minister of international trade and industry; Rajat Nag, managing director general of the Asian Development Bank; Supachai Panitchpakdi, secretary-general of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development; Surin Pitsuwan, secretary-general of Asean; Cesar Purisima, the Philippine's secretary of finance; Naoyuki Shinohara, deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund; and Kim Sung-han, South Korea's vice minister of foreign affairs and trade.

Top-level government representatives from Thailand at the meeting include Kittiratt; Chumpol Silapa-archa, deputy prime minister and tourism minister; Surapong Towichukchaikul, foreign minister; Anudith Nakornthap, information and communications technology minister; and Arak Chonlatanon, energy minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-29

WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM

Suu Kyi due in Thailand tonight

THE NATION

30183025-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Aung San Suu Kyi is reported to be travelling to Thailand tonight so she can visit a refugee camp for people from Myanmar in Tak province tomorrow.

She will then attend and deliver a speech at the World Economic Forum (WEF), being held in Bangkok on Thursday and Friday.

Suu Kyi, leader of National League for Democracy (NLD) Party, had earlier been invited by Dr Cynthia Maung - the famous Karen volunteer who treats victims of Myanmar's civil war, refugees and migrant workers on the border - to visit her clinic in Mae Sot.

She is also expected to visit Mae La refugee camp in Tha Song Yang district. There are about 150,000 refugees, mostly ethnic Karen, sheltering in Thailand at nine camps spread between Mae Hong Son and Kanchanaburi.

The visit would give Suu Kyi a chance to observe the condition of refugees due to ethnic wars in her country and see the situation at the border, Dr Cynthia said. She hoped that by seeing problems near the border, Suu Kyi would think of ways to solve the refugees' problem.

The visit will mark her first trip outside Myanmar in 24 years.

An NLD spokesman said Suu Kyi's schedule was tentative as she hoped to meet Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is on an official visit to Myanmar, before flying out.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-29

1) Her father was the seat of the problems since he helped bring the Japanese into Burma in 1942

2) Her only real job was working for the UN committee on reviewing budget committees

3) Ethnic groups in general don't like her as they see her as just another Burman.

1) Her father was the seat of the problems since he helped bring the Japanese into Burma in 1942

2) Her only real job was working for the UN committee on reviewing budget committees

3) Ethnic groups in general don't like her as they see her as just another Burman.

1) Her father was the seat of the problems since he helped bring the Japanese into Burma in 1942 <=== Her father might have been the seat of the problems back then but that was 70 years ago. Now the real problem is that the current government who has been mismanaging the country for almost 30 years. Sure they could have turned it around many many years ago, but any intention of doing so -- NO!

2) Yes, but the current uneducated guys are not doing anything good by any means. Burmese will be gladly have her anytime over the military regime. If you said so, Yingluck didn't even come from political background.

3) Ethnic groups in general don't like her as they see her as just another Burman. <===== A proof please?

1) Her father was the seat of the problems since he helped bring the Japanese into Burma in 1942 <=== Her father might have been the seat of the problems back then but that was 70 years ago. Now the real problem is that the current government who has been mismanaging the country for almost 30 years.

2) Yes, but the current uneducated guys are not doing anything good by any means.

3) Ethnic groups in general don't like her as they see her as just another Burman. <===== A proof please?

If you're interested in Burma study the history and get to know the people - don't just follow what you see on the BBC

Where's Kevin 07? Isn't he going?

I wonder if they could come up with a solution to all that water in the wet season and turn it into a commodity? Flooding is a common problem that may be able to be put to a use?

I hope Suu Kyi profile does not overshadow the conference; and hope the Nation can get their reporters to give a good coverage on outcome, rather than the usual political rant.

1) Her father was the seat of the problems since he helped bring the Japanese into Burma in 1942 <=== Her father might have been the seat of the problems back then but that was 70 years ago. Now the real problem is that the current government who has been mismanaging the country for almost 30 years.

2) Yes, but the current uneducated guys are not doing anything good by any means.

If you're interested in Burma study the history and get to know the people - don't just follow what you see on the BBC

Oh tell me again!! I need to learn the history of Burma. I am Burmese, raised in Burma until we migrated. Maybe it's time for you to review Burma's history. I don't listen to BBC but I have been there, learnt and seen everything. And I don't know if ethic groups don't like her but a lot of people I know refer her as "mother"

Edited by crystal8

Oh tell me again!! I need to learn the history of Burma. I am Burmese, raised in Burma until we migrated. Maybe it's time for you to review Burma's history. I don't listen to BBC but I have been there, learnt and seen everything. And I don't know if ethic groups don't like her but a lot of people I know refer her as "mother"

So in that case you understand that it was her father who founded the military and his actions of bringing in the Japanese that left the country in ruins! and her action of demanding sanctions and tourism boycott that helped impoverished the nation?

You should try talking to some ethic groups like the Shans then you will know how they feel about her. But that's the problem the different groups don't communicate or get on with each other do they!

Edited by Chopperboy