If You Think 90 Day Reporting Is A Pain Have Sympathy For The Burmese

bluweyze

Two of my staff went to make the 90 day report to immigration yesterday. They have now moved the Burmese out of the normal air-conditioned room to their own 'special' place.

My staff arrived at 8am and finished at 4:30pm. They can actually pay 30 Baht for a faster queue which I would certainly do and I guess they will next time despite it not being an acceptable procedure in my (or their) eyes.

Next time I feel bad about a 60 minute or more wait my sympathies will be with those poor folk treated as third class citizens.

• Like 2

Really. If they made it mandatory to notify them online of a change of permanent address within say, 10 days of moving and imposed a fine for infractions I can't see how this would leave them worse off in terms of the information they hold on retirees and it would ease the burden at the Immigration Office too.

• Like 1

"They can actually pay 30 Baht for a faster queue which I would certainly do and I guess they will next time despite it not being an acceptable procedure in my (or their) eyes".

Is there NOTHING immigration won't do, to get a few extra bucks?

I imagine these are Burmese that are working here in jobs that you and I are not allowed to do. I'm pretty sure that all the Burmese that are here on marriage/retirement/ED extensions were allowed to stay in the air conditioned area like the rest of the foreigners.

doesn't make me feel good about it, but its a give and take. I may not want to be doing the same jobs they are, but I have a few friends that would....

I imagine these are Burmese that are working here in jobs that you and I are not allowed to do. I'm pretty sure that all the Burmese that are here on marriage/retirement/ED extensions were allowed to stay in the air conditioned area like the rest of the foreigners.

doesn't make me feel good about it, but its a give and take. I may not want to be doing the same jobs they are, but I have a few friends that would....

Yep. the very thought of a poor low class Burmese sitting with an affluent colonial just isn't right.

Regarding the jobs.....can't say I've heard too many dissenting Thai voices........must be real good jobs with excellent pay, benefits and working conditions.wink.png

• Like 2

If they stopped making the rest of us waste our time with this procedure (as they did before) there would be a lot more room in the Immigration building for tourists and other short-term visitors .

I thought with a business visa you would have to leave the country.

If you are retired no big deal. The worst I ever did was a hour and a half. Once five minutes. Being retired that is not a heck of a lot of time every 90 days.

I doubt you have a friend who would do it for the pay they get.

If they stopped making the rest of us waste our time with this procedure (as they did before) there would be a lot more room in the Immigration building for tourists and other short-term visitors .

+1

One of the best things about being back in the US is not having to deal with Immigration :)

Did my 90-Day Report by mail for the first time two weeks ago. Mailed it on Monday (74 baht for registered mail both ways) and received the receipt at my door on Thursday. I will never do the 90-day report in person at immigration again.

Reference:

Edited by Rice_King

Did my 90-Day Report by mail for the first time two weeks ago. Mailed it on Monday (74 baht for registered mail both ways) and received the receipt on at my door on Thursday. I will never do the 90-day report in person at immigration again.

Never say, "Never."

• Like 1

But soon expats will only have to deal with immigration every 3 years (new rules)

+1

One of the best things about being back in the US is not having to deal with Immigration smile.png

This one from the news article from last month regarding incentives to attract wealthy Japanese retirees. Or may be they are just reviving the old debate just to fill the space smile.png

But soon expats will only have to deal with immigration every 3 years (new rules)

I hope that you are right, but I have heard such things before and they never came to fruition.

Edited by ARISTIDE

They have now moved the Burmese out of the normal air-conditioned room to their own 'special' place.

I think the Burmese workers are immigrant workers under a direct state-to-state agreement.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

Complete nonsense. They are here on working visas the same as I am.

No, they are not. They DO NOT go through the same process that you or I would to procure a visa. In fact, as it seems from the few that have been in my employ and by what you originally posted, that they actually do have it harder than we do.

If they were asking for a Non-O, B, ED, etc, they would be sitting in the same area in immigration.

Please do a little research before posting complete nonsense....

• Like 1

Yes, I knew saying friends with the (s) on the end of it would give me away..... Actually, I do have a friend < (singular) that really wanted to come out here for a few months, but as he is not a certified English teacher like the rest of the teaching crowd is whistling.gif , he was willing to find some labor work just to survive on. You're probably right though, after a few days of that with the same amount of pay, I imagine he would have quit. Either way, he wasn't able to make it, so the world may never know.

I doubt you have a friend who would do it for the pay they get.

+1

One of the best things about being back in the US is not having to deal with Immigration smile.png

I deal with US immigration everytime I go there.

No, they are not. They DO NOT go through the same process that you or I would to procure a visa. In fact, as it seems from the few that have been in my employ and by what you originally posted, that they actually do have it harder than we do.

If they were asking for a Non-O, B, ED, etc, they would be sitting in the same area in immigration.

Please do a little research before posting complete nonsense....

Yes you are correct they have a different working visa but they still have a working visa. So according to you they should therefore be treated as second class citizens.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame removed

CMSteve raises a lot of valid points. The fact the Burmese are sent over to their special place has nothing to do with the fact they're Burmese, it's simply that they have a different Visa/Work Permit! He also mentions that a lot of his friends are interested in doing construction in tropical heat, making 150 baht a day, being transported in the back of a truck with 50 other people, and whatever other subhuman things go along with these jobs..

No, I've recanted the bit about me knowing more than 1 person that calls me friend...

but to point out the issues with your post:

"The fact the Burmese are sent over to their special place has nothing to do with the fact they're Burmese, it's simply that they have a different Visa/Work Permit!" - yes. paraphrased, but basically what I said.

"He also mentions that a lot of his friends are interested in doing construction in tropical heat, making 150 baht a day, being transported in the back of a truck with 50 other people, and whatever other subhuman things go along with these jobs.."

No, you said this.

1 thing I would like to point out for LarryBird and Bluweyez, the problem you have is that you are reading what I wrote and then adding your own inferences and then attacking me for what you are thinking. As I stated before, reread what I actually wrote and comment on that and that alone.

CMSteve raises a lot of valid points. The fact the Burmese are sent over to their special place has nothing to do with the fact they're Burmese, it's simply that they have a different Visa/Work Permit! He also mentions that a lot of his friends are interested in doing construction in tropical heat, making 150 baht a day, being transported in the back of a truck with 50 other people, and whatever other subhuman things go along with these jobs..

"I imagine these are Burmese that are working here in jobs that you and I are not allowed to do. I'm pretty sure that all the Burmese that are here on marriage/retirement/ED extensions were allowed to stay in the air conditioned area like the rest of the foreigners.

"

What did I miss?

You stated that there's a different area for the Burmese because they have different paperwork. I disagree.

You said you have friends that woud want those jobs. That's what I wrote about. I'm gonna go through your old posts and find other funny stuff you've written!

"What did I miss?

You stated that there's a different area for the Burmese because they have different paperwork. I disagree.

I stated that there is a different area for different visa's (the visa's that these people are on are being handled in another location"

I also specifically noted that those who are on the same visa's as you an I are still in the same area. - This also answers "What did I miss?"

You said you have friends that woud want those jobs. - This is true and he really tried to make it out here...

That's what I wrote about.

" He also mentions that a lot of his friends are interested in doing construction in tropical heat, making 150 baht a day, being transported in the back of a truck with 50 other people, and whatever other subhuman things go along with these jobs

Nope, this is what you wrote about, something that I never said.

I'm gonna go through your old posts and find other funny stuff you've written!"

Spend you days as you like, happy to have inspired you!

"I imagine these are Burmese that are working here in jobs that you and I are not allowed to do. I'm pretty sure that all the Burmese that are here on marriage/retirement/ED extensions were allowed to stay in the air conditioned area like the rest of the foreigners.

"

What did I miss?

You said you have friends that woud want those jobs. That's what I wrote about. I'm gonna go through your old posts and find other funny stuff you've written!

Edited by CMSteve