Music License Sharks At It Again

monty

Yesterday evening Bkk cops along with representatives of a company called K.T. Publishing co.,Ltd. went round bars and restaurants in East Pattaya, claiming that the bars were playing music unlicensed.

When the owners produced their license (from another company such as http://www.1stopmusic.com/en/organization.html , there are more) they were told that particular compoany either does not hold the rights, or they went out of business.

Followed by confiscation of equipment, followed by under the table fine (20K+ Baht) return of equipment and then offer to sell license for between 5 to 10 K Baht...

Horrible.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This practice was rife in Bangkok a couple of years back. Obviously they're spreading their evil tentacles wider and wider.

I wonder if they target East Pattaya because they would clash with the interests of the Pattaya City police if they tried it down-town?

I assume these so-called cops are either from Banglamung or maybe Bangkok??

Not much the bar owners can do about it - either way.

TIT

Sorry, just noticed - they were indeed BKK cops - but why East Pattaya? Did they go west of Sukhumvit?

Edited by Mobi

Funny how they don't bother to go down to the beach and bust the gangs that rob, extort, terrorize, threaten, defraud, assault & kidnap our visitors.

Pattaya will become a Ghost town shortly with Bars Clubs Restaurants closing for good now that these scams across the board are going Viral everywhere.

From what I'm reading guys are returning to Spain and Greece in their droves already.

• Like 1

Funny how they don't bother to go down to the beach and bust the gangs that rob, extort, terrorize, threaten, defraud, assault & kidnap our visitors.

Pattaya will become a Ghost town shortly with Bars Clubs Restaurants closing for good now that these scams across the board are going Viral everywhere.

From what I'm reading guys are returning to Spain and Greece in their droves already.

sorry but that is rubbish.This scams be going on for years.And going to Spain and Greece in droves?Who wants to go there? Edited by crille30
  • Like 1

Only the ones that dont have any threat of extradition hanging over them. The real farang crooks will remain here where they are more or less safe.

Only the ones that dont have any threat of extradition hanging over them. The real farang crooks will remain here where they are more or less safe.

is that why you still here?tongue.png

i think they were hitting east pattaya because there is better chance of catching people as the bars are smaller with less capital, less seen so a large number will not even have the license and the ones who do, bought the cheaper ones.

Most if not all centrally located bars/clubs have both license for local and international music from reputable co's like Sony

Do note though, music license is not too easy to get, as one requires to have a referee who is government employee. Its not impossible, but does cost little extra.

sorry but that is rubbish.This scams be going on for years.And going to Spain and Greece in droves?Who wants to go there?

Returning to Greece and Spain in droves meaning they had been their multiple times before finding Thailand and now reverting to Europe...

Scams have been going on for years but never to the extent they are now and certainly never more so within the news outlets read daily......??

i think they were hitting east pattaya because there is better chance of catching people as the bars are smaller with less capital, less seen so a large number will not even have the license and the ones who do, bought the cheaper ones.

Most if not all centrally located bars/clubs have both license for local and international music from reputable co's like Sony

Do note though, music license is not too easy to get, as one requires to have a referee who is government employee. Its not impossible, but does cost little extra.

I'm in Jomtien, and I got held up by KT, a company that we later found out has a copyright on a whole 10 songs! Because we didn't know our rights it ended up costing us 13,000 baht. We've since spent another 8000 to buy a license from a government recommended company that has copyrights for over 800,000 songs (including a number of major labels). Does this solve our problem? Not necessarily, but it is a step in the right direction. The fact is their are numerous KT LTD type companies about. If one shows up at your place, immediately start video taping them, ask if they have a filed complaint in hand (this is a requirement), make a point of asking questions (which song of yours did I play etc....) while filming them. You do have rights, just have to know what they are, and be willing to push back. According to the Gov't official we spoke to, the problem is becoming pervasive, and we were invited to come relate our experience at a meeting being held this month.

I'm in Jomtien, and I got held up by KT, a company that we later found out has a copyright on a whole 10 songs! Because we didn't know our rights it ended up costing us 13,000 baht. We've since spent another 8000 to buy a license from a government recommended company that has copyrights for over 800,000 songs (including a number of major labels). Does this solve our problem? Not necessarily, but it is a step in the right direction. The fact is their are numerous KT LTD type companies about. If one shows up at your place, immediately start video taping them, ask if they have a filed complaint in hand (this is a requirement), make a point of asking questions (which song of yours did I play etc....) while filming them. You do have rights, just have to know what they are, and be willing to push back. According to the Gov't official we spoke to, the problem is becoming pervasive, and we were invited to come relate our experience at a meeting being held this month.

I am honestly not sure how well it will work for you if you start video taping police(since they always accompany them) and start asking questions like that.

I think you may find you will end up paying 5 times the amount you paid if you start to video tape.

But i may well be wrong, i do not play any CD's i just open TV, Sophon cable, 3 music channels to chose from including Thai music, and problem solved :)

• Like 1

so if you buy a licence from one of the companies thats got say 800,000 songs copyrighted what happens if you play a song not covered by them.

the system should be like the uk one prs licence does it all, but then this is thailand that would be too simple and no one could make a baht on the side.

was thinking of music for our place i pod behind the bar but now no way, maybe just buy a radio, but do you need a licence for that ?

so if you buy a licence from one of the companies thats got say 800,000 songs copyrighted what happens if you play a song not covered by them.

the system should be like the uk one prs licence does it all, but then this is thailand that would be too simple and no one could make a baht on the side.

was thinking of music for our place i pod behind the bar but now no way, maybe just buy a radio, but do you need a licence for that ?

Why not just use the TV? sophon or true both have music channels

Also, i am not 100% but it think playing youtube is NOT in any breach, just connect notebook to loud speakers

Also, i am not 100% but it think playing youtube is NOT in any breach, just connect notebook to loud speakers

really want to play our own choice of music suited to our customer base.

really want to play our own choice of music suited to our customer base.

youtube, you have that choice, just need to sit there and click play all the time :(

sometimes the hassles are not worth it, unless of course your clients come for the music :)

Just thinking out loud here......If you use music from a TV channel for public entertainment I would imagine you would have the same copyright issues as with CDs.

Also, if it was legal to use a TV channel as your music source, I wonder what would be the position on streaming an internet radio channel.

Just thinking out loud here......If you use music from a TV channel for public entertainment I would imagine you would have the same copyright issues as with CDs.

Also, if it was legal to use a TV channel as your music source, I wonder what would be the position on streaming an internet radio channel.

i think tv and radio stations have paid for the right to broadcast music already. When we where up in nong khai had similar music police busts and where told ok for tv and radio.

i think tv and radio stations have paid for the right to broadcast music already. When we where up in nong khai had similar music police busts and where told ok for tv and radio.

yeah, can also confirm tv and radio is no problem, also youtube is no problem

Stream internet radio or iTunes?

I don't understand why people are using CDs these days. You can run an entire bar on nothing more than an iPod (where you can stream internet radio or iTunes) and a sound system to play it through.

You can get something like 30,000 songs on the cheapest Ipod touch that is out now for around 4500 - 6000b. It connects to wifi and includes iTunes radio with 1000s of channels.

You guys need to out think these punks. I'm just spit balling ideas here but if you put a little thought into it and used technology to your advantage, you wouldn't have to worry about this nonsense.

Stream internet radio or iTunes?

I don't understand why people are using CDs these days. You can run an entire bar on nothing more than an iPod (where you can stream internet radio or iTunes) and a sound system to play it through.

You can get something like 30,000 songs on the cheapest Ipod touch that is out now for around 4500 - 6000b. It connects to wifi and includes iTunes radio with 1000s of channels.

You guys need to out think these punks. I'm just spit balling ideas here but if you put a little thought into it and used technology to your advantage, you wouldn't have to worry about this nonsense.

we used ipod classic up in nk, how can i connect wirerless to amp and surley they will ask where music come from

I wonder what would be the position on streaming an internet radio channel.

I was in a German-run restaurant here the other day and whilst listening to their diabolical streamed crap music from some German internet radio station I was wondering the same thing.

I think that in Europe it wouldn't be legal for an establishment to allow customers to listen to streamed internet or broadcast radio without paying a special fee for the rights.

Edited by Darrel

we used ipod classic up in nk, how can i connect wirerless to amp and surley they will ask where music come from

The older iPods do not connect to the internet. What you want to do is hit the mall and pick up a new "iPod Touch." I think they have four models, price varies on how much storage space you want inside. I believe mine is the middle option and I paid 6000b for it.

It comes with iTunes included as well as built in Wi-Fi. It also has the Safari browser built it so you can stream whatever site you want if you want to use net radio.

At the Mac Store they have small JBL brand (and others) dock/players where you can sit your iPod inside of it to play through the speakers and charge it. Mine only has input, however, I've seen some with output as well. That what you want, a dock with output. That output will then go to your system. You may have to get an adapter for the size of the plug. From the dock it would go into your receiver in your sound system.

There are other more expensive options where it can all be done wireless! In theory you could run your iPod from next door through a wireless system that jacks into your sound system. Imagine the look on their faces when they can't find where the music is coming from or any cables connecting to anything that would make the music play. lol Blame it on Pii. ;-) The technology is there for all sorts of options to make them scratch their head.

NOTE: iPods are stereo so you need two inputs on your sound system and the correct stereo cables. Otherwise you will lose 1/2 your sound. I'm sending you a PM of a page I just found with more step-by-step info.

As far as what will fly legally HERE, I'm not sure. But I know the technology is here to make it very difficult for them. You could remove your iPod and put it in your pocket within 5 seconds when you see them coming.

You can also stream iTunes from your iPhone. ;-) What if your iPhone was streaming wireless to a receiver and when they came in, you just put your phone in your pocket and turned it off. Of course you would have to deal with their child like tantrums, but if you're willing to do that, you may make out OK. There are lots of products out there for wireless streaming all over your house / bar.

The older iPods do not connect to the internet. What you want to do is hit the mall and pick up a new "iPod Touch." I think they have four models, price varies on how much storage space you want inside. I believe mine is the middle option and I paid 6000b for it.

It comes with iTunes included as well as built in Wi-Fi. It also has the Safari browser built it so you can stream whatever site you want if you want to use net radio.

At the Mac Store they have small JBL brand (and others) dock/players where you can sit your iPod inside of it to play through the speakers and charge it. Mine only has input, however, I've seen some with output as well. That what you want, a dock with output. That output will then go to your system. You may have to get an adapter for the size of the plug. From the dock it would go into your receiver in your sound system.

There are other more expensive options where it can all be done wireless! In theory you could run your iPod from next door through a wireless system that jacks into your sound system. Imagine the look on their faces when they can't find where the music is coming from or any cables connecting to anything that would make the music play. lol Blame it on Pii. ;-) The technology is there for all sorts of options to make them scratch their head.

NOTE: iPods are stereo so you need two inputs on your sound system and the correct stereo cables. Otherwise you will lose 1/2 your sound. I'm sending you a PM of a page I just found with more step-by-step info.

As far as what will fly legally HERE, I'm not sure. But I know the technology is here to make it very difficult for them. You could remove your iPod and put it in your pocket within 5 seconds when you see them coming.

You can also stream iTunes from your iPhone. ;-) What if your iPhone was streaming wireless to a receiver and when they came in, you just put your phone in your pocket and turned it off. Of course you would have to deal with their child like tantrums, but if you're willing to do that, you may make out OK. There are lots of products out there for wireless streaming all over your house / bar.

I do not think one could get away playing ipod or iphone in bar or club without a license. ONly because ipod and phone are personal use items ie designed to listen to by 1 person, so they could hit you up for license.

Tv is public so is the radio, so i am pretty sure those are the only 2 free and safe options

• Like 1

I do not think one could get away playing ipod or iphone in bar or club without a license. ONly because ipod and phone are personal use items ie designed to listen to by 1 person, so they could hit you up for license.

Tv is public so is the radio, so i am pretty sure those are the only 2 free and safe options

we are quiet happy to buy a licence to play music from an ipod but we cannot trust the local police not to come and scam us

we are quiet happy to buy a licence to play music from an ipod but we cannot trust the local police not to come and scam us

ipod license is not an issue, using ipod to play music in public is no different to playing a cd or vcd.