Bts Round Trip, 1 Trip?

meand

If you start at say on nut for example, go to say mo chit, and never exit the gates, then go back to on nut, do you get charged for 2 trips on a smart pass/rabbit card?? Or would it be 1 trip?? If you bought a ticket, could you just buy the cheapest ticket??

So, if somebody is confused, the reason you'd do this is to say hand somebody something without exiting the gates somewhere, or perhaps dropping your kid off at school (without exiting).

Anyway, just curious how they charge for that on a one month smart pass.

There is a time limit, I think 120 minutes, after which you have to pay another 40 baht.

I think it's ~ 40 min. from On-Nut to Mor Chit?

I think you might be deducted one trip if on a trip card, or 40 baht if on a stored-value card?

If I were the programmer for BTS I would flag entering and exiting at the same station as suspicious and make the card-holder report to the office.

Perhaps you should try it and see what happens !

And what would you say if the person just said they forgot something at home?

I thought somebody may know that answer, but you are right, easiest way may be to just try :)

If the BTS and MRT are the same then you will only incur the charge for entering which I believe is one station. I have heard of time limits but can't confirm.

Not only have I gone to stops only to realize I forgot something and headed back to my entry station only to be charged a small amount but also once had my card not work when trying to exit and they let me through the side gate to get out. A day or two later I went to add money to my card but they said the card still showed me in the station because I never swiped an exit the last time I used it. So, they just had me walk through the side and exit (at my home station) resulting in the same small charge you get when entering and exiting at the same station .... which come to think of it would make me believe there is no time limit unless they adjusted my account manually or something. But again this is the MRT and not the BTS.

Closest experience I had at the BTS was wanting to enter on one side of a stop and exit on the other and they told me it would result in being charged ... I believe they said it would be considered one stop.

Normally on BTS and MRT you get charged for one stop if you exit where you entered. I've done this "legitimately" when passing through a station for convenience ot when buying something from a shop inside the station. I've also accompanied the gf to the turnstyle barrier of her station and then returned several stops to where we got on.

• Like 1

Normally on BTS and MRT you get charged for one stop if you exit where you entered. I've done this "legitimately" when passing through a station for convenience ot when buying something from a shop inside the station. I've also accompanied the gf to the turnstyle barrier of her station and then returned several stops to where we got on.

There we have it then. So you do get charged only one trip. Makes sense. Thanks. I really wondered about all this when I saw a Thai lady guide her little girl up to the gates to send her to school, and then she turned around perhaps to go back home, or I guess wherever she pleased for that matter, on the same trip (save the new extension).

Yep. No problems. Used to do it all the time when I lived down in that area. My SIL worked at Time Square. I'd meet her at the Asoke skytrain station and exchange whatever we needed to exchange over the gate, then go back to the station where I boarded. 10 baht. (15 now) It used to be you only had 90 minutes. I don't know if they've increased it to 120 now due to the extensions.

Guards don't care. Lots of people do it.

Edited by gregb
  • Like 1