Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Five: Bangkok

webfact

CRIME

A man sentenced to death for killing five

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok's Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court on Tuesday sentenced a man to death and three others to life for their involvement in the 2009 armed robbery and murders of a Bang Kapi furniture-factory owner, his wife, daughter, son and housemaid.

The four men, Wanchai Anpan, 61, Parithat Numnoi, 55, Tharayuth Saensuk, 50, and Amnat Paradonpitak, 30, broke into Thanayos Pathumwassana's house on April 4, 2009. They killed the home's five occupants and took Bt3 million in valuables, including two desktop computers, a laptop computer, five cellphones and a van.

After their arrest, three of the defendants confessed that Wanchai hired them for the robbery. Wanchai had given an alibi that he was elsewhere, but the court was not convinced. The court was also presented with evidence of the defendants' asking another person to help get rid of the evidence.

Thanayos and his 17-year-old daughter Sasima were fatally shot while the 15yearold son Thanawat was strangled with a belt. The maid was brutally killed.

The court was told that Wanchai threatened Thanayos's wife Kanokkan to tell him the password to the safe, but she said only Thanayos, who was dead, knew it. So they strangled her too.

Seeing the defendants' actions as premeditated and brutal, the court sentenced all of them to death but then reduced three of the defendants' sentences to life because of their confessions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-30

Out of honest curiosity, does Thailand carry out death sentence like Singapore? I mean, when Singapore says death sentence, it is carried out and usually a small column in the newspaper would confirmed that the person has been hung (usually on a Friday).

Out of honest curiosity, does Thailand carry out death sentence like Singapore? I mean, when Singapore says death sentence, it is carried out and usually a small column in the newspaper would confirmed that the person has been hung (usually on a Friday).

It was stopped in 2002, but brought back in 2009 for some drug offenders. Thailand dispatched 3 in 2009.

They used to shoot the condemned. Chavorat Jaruboon, was the executioner of Bang Kwang prison and he wrote a book "The Last Executioner". He became a bit of a novelty at foreign social events (once the DP was suspended.) He used to make 2000 baht per person. He executed 55 between 1984 and 2002.

They use lethal injection now.

I doubt the condemned man will be executed. At 61, the chap will most likely receive some sort of clemency.

• Like 1

I am truly sad to see that the three others recieved commuted sentences for confessing - they are still murderers, and as far as I am concerned, saying "OK, yes I did murder them in cold blood" doesnt make the crime any less of a crime.

The murdered people didnt come back to life just because their murderer confessed.

Scum through and through.

Edited by Greer
  • Like 2

Bt3 million in valuables, including two desktop computers, a laptop computer, five cellphones and a van.

Presumably hunted down and collected by the police for evidence.

Wonder who'll get to keep them. whistling.gif

It was stopped in 2002, but brought back in 2009 for some drug offenders. Thailand dispatched 3 in 2009.

They used to shoot the condemned. Chavorat Jaruboon, was the executioner of Bang Kwang prison and he wrote a book "The Last Executioner". He became a bit of a novelty at foreign social events (once the DP was suspended.) He used to make 2000 baht per person. He executed 55 between 1984 and 2002.

They use lethal injection now.

I doubt the condemned man will be executed. At 61, the chap will most likely receive some sort of clemency.

The Last Executioner

http://www.thai-blogs.com/2007/08/14/thailand-s-death-penalty/

• Like 1

I gather that TGIF is not a popular saying on Singapore's death row.

• Like 1

Does Thailand only execute low level drug mules? Has anybody been executed for murder in the last 3 years?

Not sure of the last 3 years but a guy was executed for killing a farang woman on one of the islands a few years ago.

I am truly sad to see that the three others recieved commuted sentences for confessing - they are still murderers, and as far as I am concerned, saying "OK, yes I did murder them in cold blood" doesnt make the crime any less of a crime.

The murdered people didnt come back to life just because their murderer confessed.

Scum through and through.

Agreed,

though commuted to 'all of your life in a Thai prison' isn't exactly a cakewalk.

I think of that as a severe punishment, no doubts.

And they get to remember WHY they are there, the whole time.

Does Thailand only execute low level drug mules? Has anybody been executed for murder in the last 3 years?

Not sure of the last 3 years but a guy was executed for killing a farang woman on one of the islands a few years ago.

Two fishermen off a boat, raped and killed an English woman, Katherine Horton, on a Samui Beach.

Andrew Drummond says the death sentences were commuted to life.

These 2 yabaa dealers didn't get off as lightly.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/25/national/national_30110533.php

Edited by animatic

In Thailand most who are sentenced to death get their sentences reduced later, so it is unlike Singapore which has a mandatory death sentence for drug trafficking. But they do execute some. This government has been making noises about executing more for drug trafficking so that number might go up soon.

• Like 1

Shouldn't have reduced the sentences because of a confession. They deserve everything they get!

Well they got life, so that's what they deserved (according to your 2nd statement) :-D

Shouldn't have reduced the sentences because of a confession. They deserve everything they get!

Everywhere the trend is to do this, like a little thankyou Ha Ha, but I agree with you, give em hell