AoT Rushes Second Phase Of Suvarnabhumi To Accommodate More Passengers

webfact

if they would cut the crap about 60 or 90 day tourist visa's where people have to leave for nothing else than a stamp in their passport, than maybe the current airport would be enough

Maybe if people living here on tourist visas followed the rules and got valid long term visas, they wouldn't need to leave every 90 days.

??? I have a one year Visa/Multiple entry. I still need to exit the country every 90 days and return to get stamp in passport. Only other way is to get Retirement Visa 1 year, still have to report to Immigration every 90 days to show I am still here and get stamp.... What are you talking about?

if they would cut the crap about 60 or 90 day tourist visa's where people have to leave for nothing else than a stamp in their passport, than maybe the current airport would be enough

Maybe if people living here on tourist visas followed the rules and got valid long term visas, they wouldn't need to leave every 90 days.

??? I have a one year Visa/Multiple entry. I still need to exit the country every 90 days and return to get stamp in passport. Only other way is to get Retirement Visa 1 year, still have to report to Immigration every 90 days to show I am still here and get stamp.... What are you talking about?

I'm talking about "60 or 90 day tourist visa's" and "people living here on tourist visas".

Edited by whybother

Will they hire more passport processing agents?

They are doing that right now, had 10 doing foriegners today, another exit for Thais

Forgot to mention, those 10 were at the point i used down at the bottom end of the concourse, i think they were letting more through back in the centre where the big dragon is.

Is she still working there?

Okay, Thanks... Thought I had screwed up... :)

You know Thailand just loves our money.... They won't offer to make it easier if they loose money :)

I'm talking about "60 or 90 day tourist visa's" and "people living here on tourist visas".

assuming that the tourist influx figures are correct then I can only assume from that the arrogance and ignorance towards foreigners wanting to live here will only get worse, they can afford to make it tougher and more costly to stay here, cant wait till tourist numbers cool down, maybe then will some reality set in.

Why is there no mention of Utapoa airport, that would take a load off suvarnabhumi, perhaps more tourists will be inclined to go further south towards rayong or trat and take a load off pattaya as well

Yes with a retirement extension of stay you go to immigration every 90 days but a lot easier than having to leave the country every 90 days for a stamp. Actually there is no comparison then again you can fly out and come back and reset your 90 day trip to immigration.

another terminal with parking and "passenger transport system (whatever that may be)". That may well make swampy a very difficult airport to use. I quite like the current swampy and I don't always agree with some of the criticism. Having said that, I am usually flying to Heathrow so I would think swampy is good and sometimes I route via Bombay which must be the worlds worst international hub. I doubt a multi terminal layout was ever in the original plans and if it wasn't it has little chance of success.

The upgrades to Swampy do not include another runway as the airport if pretty much surrounded by airport buildings and expensive road/rail connections. Got no place to put it. And runways determine passenger capacity, not the speed with which passengers are processed in and out of the airport.

Moving those buildings, roads etc. would create many problems over another 5 year period. The airport would be even less efficient than it is now... and that's scary.

Although there would be and improvement in chances for Tea money... Hmmm... let's think about that a minute. w00t.gif

I love how I still have to leave the plane and board a bus to the terminal while the plane is parked next to a gate. Only in thailand.

Poorly designed airport.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

You do??

What airline are you flying with when you catch a bus.

Never happened to me at Swampy.

Maybe its one of the lowcost airlines. They just dont want to pay extra for the gate.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I love how I still have to leave the plane and board a bus to the terminal while the plane is parked next to a gate. Only in thailand.

Poorly designed airport.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

You do??

What airline are you flying with when you catch a bus.

Never happened to me at Swampy.

Maybe its one of the lowcost airlines. They just dont want to pay extra for the gate.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

It happens with Air Asia regularly, particularly on late arrivals. I have two theories:

- The plane comes from an international flight and is going to be used on a domestic flight after that, so docks at an inland pod. This would make sense, but not as often as it happens).

- They are charged extra if the passengers walk on the terminal floors, and they want to save money. This wouldn't make sense in any other countries, but in Thailand you never know.

Air Asia isn't as stingy as many other low cost operators. In Singapore, they are not at the low cost terminal, and they have so far refused to use Don Mueang.

The upgrades to Swampy do not include another runway as the airport if pretty much surrounded by airport buildings and expensive road/rail connections. Got no place to put it. And runways determine passenger capacity, not the speed with which passengers are processed in and out of the airport.

Moving those buildings, roads etc. would create many problems over another 5 year period. The airport would be even less efficient than it is now... and that's scary.

Although there would be and improvement in chances for Tea money... Hmmm... let's think about that a minute. w00t.gif

A third runway was a part of the original plans, to the east of the airport (on the other side of the road) and parallel to the existing two. I have no idea where they are going to build a new terminal, but considering all the space they had available when they started building the airport, it's surprising if they haven't made an option for connecting buildings. The solution in Hong Kong is very elegant and Singapore works well too.

The existing space within the airport grounds can cater for 2 more runways and a couple more terminal buildings. http://en.wikipedia....nabhumi_Airport

Current and Future

220px-VTBS_layout.png220px-VTBS_layout_phrase2.png

Edited by whybother

Maybe people here are following the rules-but want the Immigration to bend a little, the catagory 0 visa got in a Thai consulate in England, lasts for 1 year but still have to do a visa run, every 90 days. But going out of Thailand to the consulate at Vientienne, you only get 3 months, to me this is crazy, A tourist visa lasts 60 days, but you can get a double entry. The biggest problem is a ten year passport is full in 4 years. as you need 3 pages every run on a cat 0.

Retirement or cat 0 visas both should have a 1 year stamp, the latter only doing a half day run every 90 days, would be fair.