Flyers Beware...Thieves In The Air

MrMiddle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no easy answer but the obvious one is you do not sleep....

Well, that doesn't seem very practical to me. But then, I only travel 24 hours plus when I head back to the US so perhaps I am just being rather wimpy falling asleep like an idiot.

• Like 1

Years ago there was a FA at United who was stealing from passengers carry on. The cable tie is a good idea.

I do find it strange CX wouldn't open a claim for you even if you were going to claim insurance elsewhere & for their security department to be informed in case it was internal.

Why would any airline 'support' any claim for any theft that is alleged to have happened after the flight is over? All any victim can expect is for the airline to acknowledge he was on the plane but the victim already has evidence of that with the boarding pass and baggage check. Do any of the overnight bus companies offer compensation if a passengers bag is pilfered while they sleep? Airliners are flying buses so there's no expectation for them to be any more than sorry for any loss incurred.

Claim aside, it sounded like the OP was simply brushed off by CX with "false claim" and no report filed. CX internal security department will investigate but based on what ? reading TV. He would also require a case number/police report to claim on his home insurance. I just read my company laptops insurance policy and it says I require both. Airlines are bound by IATA rules and the Geneva convention regarding lost or stolen luggage, not reporting it at the airport or within a period of time is merely them trying to wiggle out of paying compensation.

Years ago there was a FA at United who was stealing from passengers carry on. The cable tie is a good idea.

I do find it strange CX wouldn't open a claim for you even if you were going to claim insurance elsewhere & for their security department to be informed in case it was internal.

Why would any airline 'support' any claim for any theft that is alleged to have happened after the flight is over? All any victim can expect is for the airline to acknowledge he was on the plane but the victim already has evidence of that with the boarding pass and baggage check. Do any of the overnight bus companies offer compensation if a passengers bag is pilfered while they sleep? Airliners are flying buses so there's no expectation for them to be any more than sorry for any loss incurred.

Claim aside, it sounded like the OP was simply brushed off by CX with "false claim" and no report filed. CX internal security department will investigate but based on what ? reading TV. He would also require a case number/police report to claim on his home insurance. I just read my company laptops insurance policy and it says I require both. Airlines are bound by IATA rules and the Geneva convention regarding lost or stolen luggage, not reporting it at the airport or within a period of time is merely them trying to wiggle out of paying compensation.

But how can CX honestly attest to an alleged crime that happened on their 'premises' if it is reported long after the 'premises' has been vacuumed, cleaned, re-packed with bodies and flown back to it's point of origin <deleted>??!!

The OP pretty much states he went straight for the airline compensation and only cancelled accounts and changed passwords some time later. Through experience of having my cabin baggage stolen from a rental car some hours after I landed, losing laptop, phone, passports, house keys and all the other valuables that don't go in checked baggage, the first thing I did after getting a locksmith to change the house locks was do the online password changing and phone number locking. Then I went to the police in the evening and filed the report some hours later. Since the theft was while the car was parked out the front of Walgeens and there were no witnesses, the police were happy so file the report. Satisfied with that, the insurance company paid out. The OP needs to define what his insurance carriers stance will be in this event. I know that I will be asking mine since the airline can not say you were robbed, only confirm that you were on the flight. Then they will ask if your bags were locked....

Edited by NanLaew

.... Am sure it happens a great deal more than reported here on TV.....??

Read the article that Farma posted, I quote: "Eighteen reports about in-flight thefts have been filed so far this year, up from only one in 2011, said Assistant Commissioner of Police Sam Tee, head of the (Singapore) airport police division."

I carry a handful of small white plastic cable ties when I travel. After security checks, and I'm gettlng into the cabin, I secure the zippers on my carry-on bag. If I need to get something during the flight, I ask the attendant to cut it open for me, take what I need, and put in another cable tie. I can see immediately if anything has been tampered with. No need for heavy locks. No crook is going to risk cutting off a cable tie while trapped inside an aircraft...

If my bag has to be stored in a different part of the plane, about 30 minutes before landing approach I retrieve it and put it under my seat. There is just waaay too much theft these days to be complacent about security.

At the X-ray machine in the terminal, I deliberately stall for a few extra seconds getting my gear sorted into the trays just to be sure that the person going through ahead of me actually does pass through the detector. This way I go through at the same time as my bags, and I don't have to worry about someone else picking them up 'by accident' on the other end of the belt.

Very prudent tips. I also am very cautious in the xray/metal scanner lines. Very common for things to happen there. Distractions, while your stuff goes through and is grabbed by others. I like the plastic cable tie idea. I actually use regular bread loaf baggie ties, even though I don't carry anything of much value.

Well, that doesn't seem very practical to me. But then, I only travel 24 hours plus when I head back to the US so perhaps I am just being rather wimpy falling asleep like an idiot.

Door to door it takes me 35 hours but you wont catch me sleeping if I have a loaded bag for sure.......!

Travel insurance or any insurance certainly will not pay out either if you inform them that you have put valuables in an unlocked overhead locker....

Sooo, you're sat in your seat on a long haul flight with say twelve hours to go, your (insured) valubles are locked inside your carry on in the overhead storage, which incidently is jam packed with everyone's possessions and you wont go to sleep, or presumably, get up and go to the bathroom for fear that someone might steal your carry on bag or its contents, wow, how can you live your life in such fear.

• Like 1

OP, how did someone get into the overhead bin above your seat without you noticing?

B

Do you bring your luggage into the toilet when you go pee? Figure it out.....you can't trust anyone nowadays...especially when you fly...they twisted my lock off and stole a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers last time I flew into BKK...welcome to Thailand coffee1.gif

Door to door it takes me 35 hours but you wont catch me sleeping if I have a loaded bag for sure.......!

Travel insurance or any insurance certainly will not pay out either if you inform them that you have put valuables in an unlocked overhead locker....

Hmmm… Not sleeping for 35 hours? You take your hand luggage to the toilet with you on the flight? (or don’t pee?)…

Locking up your hand-luggage and relaxing seems the far better option there….

Thanks to the Op for this warning. It’s serves as a good reminder (for me anyway) to simply pay more attention to my security while travelling.

Thanks for Alerting us all....This is not the first time, I have also read about this kind of stuff on other blogs.

MrMiddle did'nt you have 'Find my Iphone or Ipad" software installed on your ipad? Next time Install that for all your Apple Products.....it really helps.

Again sorry for your loss...

I like the plastic tie idea too but a little bit of a hassle...small locks would seem to do just as good.

When I traveled with a daypack that had two zippers I did use small locks. However, these days my usual travel bag has 8 zippers... Even though small, eight little locks add up to significant weight, unless you use the really crappy locks. Cable ties weigh next to nothing, cost nothing, can be cut with anything, protect everything well enough on a plane. Especially if you can tie the two zippers together to one end of the zipper track so they can't be moved.

This is especially important on an overnight bus in Thailand!! You MUST tie (or lock) both zippers together to ONE END OF THE ZIPPER TRACK... Today's nylon or plastic zippers are all touted as 'self-healing.' This means that if the zipper separates, you can just run the sliders back and forth and it will re-seal. So anyone with time enough (and security enough) can simply force a screwdriver into the zipper and open the bag, remover whatever, then slide the zippers back and forth to re-close the bag. The two zippers are still together, no one is the wiser, but the contents have been pilfered. Having the zippers tethered to one end of the track (or anywhere, but tethered) prevents this.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Hmmm… Not sleeping for 35 hours? You take your hand luggage to the toilet with you on the flight? (or don’t pee?)…

Locking up your hand-luggage and relaxing seems the far better option there….

One suspects Chiva's is talking through is lilly white rather rotund bottom...if he does manage to stay awake for 35 hours and not have to go to the little boys room to relieve his gentleman equipment....one can only assume he is eating too much of Baldricks turnip or he has come up with a cunning plan...which may involve some match sticks and a colostomy bag...biggrin.png

To be honest, I'd be more worried about someone stuffing contraband (drugs!) into my bag. And for that reason, there are locks on my hand carried bags. Not full proof of course but hopefully enough of a deterrent.

Edited by doggie888888

OP, how did someone get into the overhead bin above your seat without you noticing?

PP

You make an excellent point in jest.......

How anyone in their right mind puts hard cash or expensive equipment in an overhead locker and than probably goes to sleep at some point in the flight deserves to lose the lot quite frankly.....

Travelling to airports in Coaches etc I have lost count of how many idiots leave the lot on a seat whilst going to a toilet break......It utterly defies belief.

I wasn't joking, I always take an aisle seat and put my bag in the overhead above me so if anyone wants to get into it they have to climb on me first and usually travel with camera, 'phone and money in the bag.

If that's true, I would tend to disbelieve the story, especially in business class (possibly the thief infiltrated from economy) or if true, could be an inside job but still I find this hard to believe.

Cathay Pacific always fill empty seats in Business Class with Economy Class passengers.

It's possible the thief got in from there.

As if people who fly in the front of the aeroplane cannot possibly be thieves! A thief who "slips in" from economy is more suspicious than one who is already in business class who nonchalantly opens a compartment at random and removes a bag, especially when lights are dimmed and others nearby are asleep.

B

Do you bring your luggage into the toilet when you go pee? Figure it out.....you can't trust anyone nowadays...especially when you fly...they twisted my lock off and stole a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers last time I flew into BKK...welcome to Thailand coffee1.gif

No, but then I would expect the other 200 or so passengers in the 'plane would notice someone running up to my seat, taking my bag down from the overhead, tipping everything out and stuffing it with magazines and putting the bag back and running back to their own seat.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about someone stuffing contraband (drugs!) into my bag. And for that reason, there are locks on my hand carried bags. Not full proof of course but hopefully enough of a deterrent.

I have the same opinion. personally I think people take too much carry on with them. Its slightly narking to find the bins all full by the time you are seated. A small bag to place under the seat in front of you should suffice.

I would be quite upset to have some contraband placed in my carry on, to be arrested, convicted and 82 posts on TV " hang him high" or other novel phrases.

Find this hard to believe....

Could this sum up the typical TV response any more succinctly?

I would love you to come back and answer me this: what, exactly, would the OP have to gain by registering on here, passing on a warning about something that happened (or didn't happen, yeah!!) to him, and telling us to beware of the same? Seriously, why would anyone bother? There is no logic to your response.

I don't expect you to reply though, you've probably moved on to snipe at someone else, moan about Thailand, Thai people etc etc.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Why do trolls bother posting?

B

No, but then I would expect the other 200 or so passengers in the 'plane would notice someone running up to my seat, taking my bag down from the overhead, tipping everything out and stuffing it with magazines and putting the bag back and running back to their own seat.

Imagine,that such things happen!not only on tourist buses in LOS or Laos,but also on international flights.I always sleep during flight,as well as most of passengers.Once it happened to me on Garuda:somebody moved my carry-on to another location,who? - stewardess!but it was Garuda...

There are international gangs stealing check-in bags;they do nothing else,and they know - which bag to steal.Better be mindful!

Regarding OP post - there were incidents in Singapore Airlines,reported in local press.Chinese nationals were involved.

I do not think - anybody will plant drugs in your luggage - what for?!drugs are expensive!why somebody would give them away to you?? - Santa Claus?

Unless you have serious enemies and it would be some form of attack?

I imagine it was an inside job, the thief was already hidden in the overhead compartment when the OP stowed his bag, it was then an easy task for him to remove the items, unobserved by anyone else, climb inside his north face holdall and zip it up with him and his ill gotten gains inside. The perp would have remained there until everyone had disembarked and eventually crew would have found the unclaimed bag and taken it to lost luggage where he would have released himself and walked calmly away.

Case solved, next!

Sooo, you're sat in your seat on a long haul flight with say twelve hours to go, your (insured) valubles are locked inside your carry on in the overhead storage, which incidently is jam packed with everyone's possessions and you wont go to sleep, or presumably, get up and go to the bathroom for fear that someone might steal your carry on bag or its contents, wow, how can you live your life in such fear.

Your "insured" valuables will not be insured if you leave it in an overhead bin which is open to all and sundry while you decide to kip...!!

Perhaps this is indeed a worthwhile thread to make posters aware of this point....?