American Stabbed To Death By Burglar

rickthailand

Our Juristic Board don't want to pay the new minimum wages of 300 baht so looks like we'll take a dip in security competence

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

No problem; the Burmese will do it for a lot less !

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad tale indeed, the problem as i see it, most of us don't really know how their going to react to a situation until they face it, you may think you know how your going to react, or would like to react, but unless you've encountered many confrontational scenarios in your past and are used to physical contact, it will remain a mystery to you until the event happens.

i've encountered an armed robbery once in my lifetime [although i didn't know at the time they were armed] my reaction was totally surprising, when i reflected later it only then i became aware of the severe consequences that could have happened.

i sincerely hope to one and all you don't encounter such a tragedy like this. rip.and respect to his family.

Would someone please identify the moo ban? It seems some posters know which it is; but I don't.

242/50 Thanabun Moobahn, Moo2, Tambon Sanpakwan, Amphoe Hangdong, Chiang Mai. (242/50 หมู่บ้านธนาบุญ หมู่ 2 ต.สันผักหวาน อ.หางดง จ.เชียงใหม่)

Edited by katana

A little bit hypothetical but!

what situation would one find themselves in if an intruder inside thier home died somehow as a result of self defence on the part of the home owner?

I found this on Phuket Gazette issues & answers. It doesn't directly answer your question but it might shed some light.

Question

My wife owns a handgun. She also has a license for it.

She says that it’s okay to shoot someone if they are breaking into your house, even if they are unarmed.

What does Thai law say about this?

What are the “rules of engagement” for a private citizen?

Answer

“You cannot shoot a person just for being in your house – they have to have malicious intent towards you and/or the other residents in the household.

If that is the case, you are then justified in using your gun in self-defense.

However, using a gun for protection does not mean that you can shoot six bullets into the body of an intruder. You may consider firing a warning shot to scare the person(s) away and then shoot at the intruder(s) directly if they persist.

You should shoot to injure in an effort to stop the person(s) from advancing on you or attacking you. Then wait for the police to arrive.

It is illegal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand.

However, if a foreigner shoots another person in self-defense, the circumstances will be investigated just as they would if a Thai person were involved.

A special consideration would have to be made regarding the charge of illegal possession of a firearm.”

Kraithong Chanthongba, Superintendent of Chalong Police.

To those of you who have woken up with a burglar in their home, how did they get in? Were your windows left open or did they come in through the roof?

the wife's cousin had a power nap on his sofa and woke up to the sounds of his house being ransacked. He cautiously peered through his eyelashes and "wisely" pretended he was still asleep! The thieves departed with his laptop and other small goods. As soon as they left he called the police to say, if you come now you will catch them but no one came until much later.

in this instance they walked in through the open door in the middle of the afternoon...

To those of you who have woken up with a burglar in their home, how did they get in? Were your windows left open or did they come in through the roof?

the wife's cousin had a power nap on his sofa and woke up to the sounds of his house being ransacked. He cautiously peered through his eyelashes and "wisely" pretended he was still asleep! The thieves departed with his laptop and other small goods. As soon as they left he called the police to say, if you come now you will catch them but no one came until much later.

in this instance they walked in through the open door in the middle of the afternoon...

Wow. Either some big balls on those guys or they are totally brainless.

Sounds like he did the right thing. No one got hurt.

In my case, they came in through the roof. The roof wasn't tiled, it was made of large corrugated sheets. The next morning I stood on the wall and tried lifting up one of the sheets, came up with a bit of effort, but easily enough. The gap wasn't huge, I certainly wouldn't have fitted through, but it would have been fine for your average Thai scallywag.

Once in the loft they came through the loft hatch, which was covered with their dirty fingerprints, it was very dusty up there. One other thing, the floor was covered with their footprints, again from the dust. The policeman told me they go barefooted as it is quieter.

I luckily knew someone that was able to insist that the police actually came and took the fingerprints, for what it was worth, CSI it wasn't.

I never got anything back, I lost my stereo (except speakers), DVD player, camera and my wallet, which I recall had about 200 baht in it. They also nabbed a set of keys, so I needed to change all the locks.

In total I lost about 12,000 baht, but most importantly, kept my health.

What a shame for his family. You have to wonder if he would have been attacked by the robber, if he had not brought the knife.

he was probably frightened and went to find something to defend himself RIP

When I first read this I assumed his girlfriend was also home, but was mentioned that she was not there, as such we really don't know what actually happened. Is she usually there and this just was a coincidence while she was away? Did I read mentioned that the girlfriend inherits everything? Did she offer a reward to the police, as this or TV is about all that will get a real investigation going?

As my wife just pointed out just as well she doesn't seem regarded as a bad person as this could seem very suspicious, there are quite a few stories of persons of lesser morals with the attendant Toyboy Gik hastening inheritance issues. The inheriting spouse then of course usually ends up losing it all to said younger Gik.

Not trying to stir, no doubt those close know the answers and this is just a tragic unplanned murder.

• Like 1

In my case, they came in through the roof. The roof wasn't tiled, it was made of large corrugated sheets. The next morning I stood on the wall and tried lifting up one of the sheets, came up with a bit of effort, but easily enough. The gap wasn't huge, I certainly wouldn't have fitted through, but it would have been fine for your average Thai scallywag.

Once in the loft they came through the loft hatch, which was covered with their dirty fingerprints, it was very dusty up there. One other thing, the floor was covered with their footprints, again from the dust. The policeman told me they go barefooted as it is quieter.

I luckily knew someone that was able to insist that the police actually came and took the fingerprints, for what it was worth, CSI it wasn't.

I never got anything back, I lost my stereo (except speakers), DVD player, camera and my wallet, which I recall had about 200 baht in it. They also nabbed a set of keys, so I needed to change all the locks.

They came in through the roof while you were sleeping?

Ninjas they must be.

But you are indeed lucky. 12,000 is nothing in the grand scheme of things and compared to your health.

Did you do anything to your property to better avoid this type of entry in the future?

As my wife just pointed out just as well she doesn't seem regarded as a bad person as this could seem very suspicious, there are quite a few stories of persons of lesser morals with the attendant Toyboy Gik hastening inheritance issues. The inheriting spouse then of course usually ends up losing it all to said younger Gik.

I know of a couple where the farang is putting EVERYTHING in his wife's name. Several homes, town houses, a car, land, you name it. He refuses to listen to any of the other farangs when we tell him that when he goes away (sometimes for 2 - 3 months at a time due to work), his wife has a Thai gik come stay with her. He just so happens to be a police officer who is also married to a Thai women who approves of this relationship because it is said they are all going to share he riches when the time comes. The wife brags to all the other girls in the village and tells them all that she can't wait for him to die. The farang refuses to believe any of it. Oh well. You can lead a horse to water....

Point was, we all know the wife is going to end up with NOTHING and the policeman will get it all. We are placing bets the policeman will have him killed or do it himself.

As much as you want to divert such a thing, if someone won't listen, they won't listen.

• Like 1

Ninjas they must be.

But you are indeed lucky. 12,000 is nothing in the grand scheme of things and compared to your health.

Did you do anything to your property to better avoid this type of entry in the future?

The roof is probably the easiest entry to the house which already has the other protection around doors and windows like iron screens...large corrugated sheets are no protection at all since they can be lifted,or just simply broken to pieces with no effort.The other concrete shingles can be easy lifted and moved if not secured.I've noticed that the roof workers secure the shingles with the wire,but only every 3rd or 4th etc., which allows easy removing ..when I've ask workers to secure every single shingle with the wire,they were puzzled "Why?,it's much easier to change the broken ones when they are not secured"...go figure smile.png ...

Ninjas they must be.

You really didn't need to be a ninja, we are talking about a bungalow, the wall was about six foot high, the corner of the roof about three foot from it. Easy pickings really, and something I would look for if ever renting a property like that again.

Security wise, there was little I could do really, other than put some dead locks on the loft hatch, and make sure the bedroom door was locked everynight, which I still do to this day.

I suppose I could have put some glass or wire on top of the wall, but I figured that could be easily overcome if someone was determined. I mentioned that to the landlord, but he wasn't so keen.

I know plenty of home owners (single floor home) who have installed some sort of simple steel mesh in the roof space to prevent access to the home below.

Good advice, and if it was my own home (not rented), i'd certainly look into that.

Edited by LucidLucifer

Ninjas they must be.

You really didn't need to be a ninja, we are talking about a bungalow, the wall was about six foot high, the corner of the roof about three foot from it. Easy pickings really, and something I would look for if ever renting a property like that again.

Security wise, there was little I could do really, other than put some dead locks on the loft hatch, and make sure the bedroom door was locked everynight, which I still do to this day.

I suppose I could have put some glass or wire on top of the wall, but I figured that could be easily overcome if someone was determined. I mentioned that to the landlord, but he wasn't so keen.

I meant for the sound. Quiet like ninjas.

I've never broken in to someone's house before, but I would assume that breaking in through a roof and coming in through the attic would be fairly noisy in the middle of the night? At least noisy enough to wake someone from a sleep unless they are a heavy sleeper.

Ninjas they must be.

Robbers entering from the roof is very common here. Numerous businesses in the Thapae Gate area have been burglarized that way.

Yes, I know. I just wasn't aware of it happening so much while the home owners were actually in the house. Seems incredibly bold, even for a desperate Thai.

I know plenty of home owners (single floor home) who have installed some sort of simple steel mesh in the roof space to prevent access to the home below.

sounds a very good idea - I had not thought of it

RIP Mr. Walker

I know of a couple where the farang is putting EVERYTHING in his wife's name. Several homes, town houses, a car, land, you name it. He refuses to listen to any of the other farangs when we tell him that when he goes away (sometimes for 2 - 3 months at a time due to work), his wife has a Thai gik come stay with her. He just so happens to be a police officer who is also married to a Thai women who approves of this relationship because it is said they are all going to share he riches when the time comes. The wife brags to all the other girls in the village and tells them all that she can't wait for him to die. The farang refuses to believe any of it. Oh well. You can lead a horse to water....

Point was, we all know the wife is going to end up with NOTHING and the policeman will get it all. We are placing bets the policeman will have him killed or do it himself.

As much as you want to divert such a thing, if someone won't listen, they won't listen.

Racial profiling there, Plenty of much younger farang giks available for the short time also, it happens.

More details please!

I've never broken in to someone's house before, but I would assume that breaking in through a roof and coming in through the attic would be fairly noisy in the middle of the night? At least noisy enough to wake someone from a sleep unless they are a heavy sleeper.

Brazen, I agree, but I had just got back from a week away, so it's not beyond possibility they had staked out the house previously, and broken in thinking I wasn't there.

As for sleeping heavily, I mentioned in the first post, beer chang saw to that........luckily.

When I first read this I assumed his girlfriend was also home, but was mentioned that she was not there, as such we really don't know what actually happened. Is she usually there and this just was a coincidence while she was away? Did I read mentioned that the girlfriend inherits everything? Did she offer a reward to the police, as this or TV is about all that will get a real investigation going?

Not trying to stir, no doubt those close know the answers and this is just a tragic unplanned murder.

Actually this lady who was mentioned on the article is not his real girlfriend. She claims herself as his girlfriend cause I was told to one of Richards close friends. There were important valuable belongings in the house that was missing when his family came in his house. It is very sad that he was taken for granted after he was murder. I am just hoping and praying that whoever is responsible for taking Richard's life will be caught and suffer for the rest of her/his life. I am still angry, grieving and sad when I got the bad news after waking up at 5;30 in the morning.

My thoughts exactly. Always look for motive in a murder. Who would benefit most,etc. Never assume anything. Question authority and ask yourself if theres a possibility crimes are sometimes staged to appear in a fashion that leads us to believe that is what really happened, to cover up the real scenario, or staged burglary for example.

onthedarkside,

Can you tell us a bit more about this? Is the steel mesh screen installed on the underside of the roof, or on the attic floor? Either way, I think the insulation would need to be removed during installation, and then replaced, right? Is the mesh screen stapled with staple gun? Is the entire attic floor covered?

Finally, where can I find such steel mesh? Home Pro?

Many thanks!