New York Deli Now Open In Jomtien

ericg1953

I stopped in and had a look but didnt eat at the new deli on beach road near the police box. It is next to the 7-11 and is called New York Deli. The owner wasnt in but a guy working there said big boss from NY...would love to hear some reviews. He has a menu on a stand in front of the restaurant.Looks very nice and clean inside.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the great directions. On Beach Road near a 7-11 you say? Is it near that food cart that sells Som Tum?

Problem readingwhistling.gif

I stopped in and had a look but didnt eat at the new deli on beach road near the police box.It is next to the 7-11 and is called New York Deli. The owner wasnt in but a guy working there said big boss from NY...would love to hear some reviews. He has a menu on a stand in front of the restaurant.Looks very nice and clean inside.

Thanks for the great directions. On Beach Road near a 7-11 you say? Is it near that food cart that sells Som Tum?

Problem readingwhistling.gif

I stopped in and had a look but didnt eat at the new deli on beach road near the police box.It is next to the 7-11 and is called New York Deli. The owner wasnt in but a guy working there said big boss from NY...would love to hear some reviews. He has a menu on a stand in front of the restaurant.Looks very nice and clean inside.

I felt there was more comedic value in omitting it. I have no idea where the police box is and neither does Jingthing apparently who I assume knows Jomtien better then me.

Ok here are more explicit directions...as you head down jomtien beach road towards pattaya the beach road takes a sharp right at the police box and the entrance to dongtan beach..there is also a 7-11 on the left as you are making this sharp right turn..a few stores up from the 7-11 is the New York Deli....it is not part of that franchise that was in the Avenue Mall before and according to the guy working inside, it is owned by a guy from NY. The police box on jomtien beach rd is somewhat of a landmark here and that is why I was using it as a guide.

I had a good look at the menu although I didn't exactly study it. It is near the Dongtan police box.

Sorry: after eyeballing the place and looking at the menu, my interest in even TRYING this place is ZILCH.

I would be very shocked if this turns out to be a serious New York deli. I don't care if the "owner" is from "New York" as so are millions of people and most of them know nothing about running a proper New York deli.

Instead of respectable names for the deli items like CORNED BEEF, PASTRAMI, etc. we get a bunch of CHEESY gimmick names like The Brooklyn Bridge, The Staten Island Fairy, Babs Best, Jerry Seinfeld's revenge (made those up). Danger Will Robinson! The pictures such as existed which may just be stock photos were nothing like what someone craving real New York deli would want. The prices at the 100 baht range mean there is absolutely no way they could possibly deliver quality meat in appropriate portions on quality bread. Look we got spoiled for a short time with the Deli-zza joint which needed to charge in the 300 baht range for real New York style deli sandwiches. They were NOT a rip off. Yes, they closed sadly.

BTW the "sandwiches" come with a pickle and potato chips. Potato chips. Lazy, eh?

Also the LOOK of this new place. Not convincing at all.

So I won't try this place. By all means you guys try it if you like. If you rave about it, I don't think I'll believe you though.

Yes I guess just DID sort of write a "review" of a place I never tried and probably never will try. Brownie points for chutzpah?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I had a good look at the menu although I didn't exactly study it. It is near the Dongtan police box.

Sorry: after eyeballing the place and looking at the menu, my interest in even TRYING this place is ZILCH.

I would be very shocked if this turns out to be a serious New York deli. I don't care if the "owner" is from "New York" as so are millions of people and most of them know nothing about running a proper New York deli.

Instead of respectable names for the deli items like CORNED BEEF, PASTRAMI, etc. we get a bunch of CHEESY gimmick names like The Brooklyn Bridge, The Staten Island Fairy, Babs Best, Jerry Seinfeld's revenge (made those up). Danger Will Robinson! The pictures such as existed which may just be stock photos were nothing like what someone craving real New York deli would want. The prices at the 100 baht range mean there is absolutely no way they could possibly deliver quality meat in appropriate portions on quality bread. Look we got spoiled for a short time with the Deli-zza joint which needed to charge in the 300 baht range for real New York style deli sandwiches. They were NOT a rip off. Yes, they closed sadly.

BTW the "sandwiches" come with a pickle and potato chips. Potato chips. Lazy, eh?

So I won't try this place. By all means you guys try it if you like. If you rave about it, I don't think I'll believe you though.

Yes I guess just DID sort of write a "review" of a place I never tried and probably never will try. Brownie points for chutzpah?

Wow. That's harsh for a place you've never tried! I agree with most of your restaurant reviews but give a guy a break!

So go there. I ain't stopping you. I won't. I don't think it is possible to produce a "New York deli" sandwich in Thailand that I would want to eat for 30 baht. That's my estimation of their food cost for the 100 baht deal.

Edited by Jingthing

Look we got spoiled for a short time with the Deli-zza joint which needed to charge in the 300 baht range for real New York style deli sandwiches. They were NOT a rip off. Yes, they closed sadly.

Say it isn't so! dam_n, I really played myself not getting in there before they shut the doors.

Deli-zza: As of some months ago, I heard they are still producing their wonderful meats and accepting catering orders. I don't think the orders needed to be large. I don't have their number though! The retail location however was shut. I can't confirm the catering part is happening now either.

As far as this new place. Look at the location. Its pretty obvious they're going for a tourist beach market looking for a sandwich of some sort. Branding as "New York deli" I'm sure is seen as a smart marketing move. BTW, I didn't notice any bagel items. They did have hamburgers. Happy happy joy joy.ermm.gif

One other thing I should mention. This new "deli" didn't seem to really be fully baked as yet. Its at a shop now clearly selling Middle eastern schwarma. There is a Thai menu on offer. Looks like basically a fast food joint. Visually not appealing or especially coherent as far as what the focus is there. Under the other menu, there was a menu card for the new deli items. That's what I read. I wouldn't have known to look for that menu or know about this without this thread happening. While I was there I actually didn't see even one staff member. Again, how can they do a real New York deli sandwich for 100 baht (typical industry food costs would be 30 baht for that)? So if you actually expect a real New York deli sandwich for 100 baht, would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? If you want some fast food though ...whistling.gif

Don't get me wrong. Plenty of places could charge 400 baht and serve the same sandwich they're selling for 100 baht. So if it's not real New York deli then at least you aren't paying as if it is!

Edited by Jingthing

Wow. That's harsh for a place you've never tried! I agree with most of your restaurant reviews but give a guy a break!

I a

I'm used to seeing JT give his kiss off death to his favorite restaurants but without even trying this one seems nasty and mean spirited. Maybe he did try it as he did with his self confessed early undercover visits to Sunrise Tacos.whistling.gif If they feel they can sell a reasonable NY style sandwhich (who cares about it's name) for 100 baht more power to them.

I would love to find a place which sells a decent 'Reuben-Sandwich' in Pattaya, but I'm afraid there won't be any . . . . . .

crying.gif

I had a decent Rueben at Rich Man Poor Man soi 9 when I could not find Delli-zza first time I looked for it.

Most of the sandwiches seem to be in the 100baht price range...some a little more

do they have any bagels?

maannnnnn, i would kill for a fresh new york bagelbiggrin.png

I am not from NY and not Jewish but a nice chewy bagel is hard to find in Pattaya. I bought a package of 4 at Makro-Pattaya and they were best I found in Pattaya.

Most of the sandwiches seem to be in the 100baht price range...some a little more

do they have any bagels?

maannnnnn, i would kill for a fresh new york bagelbiggrin.png

I am not from NY and not Jewish but a nice chewy bagel is hard to find in Pattaya. I bought a package of 4 at Makro-Pattaya and they were best I found in Pattaya.

Well the good news is, i came across pretty good bagels at Tops Supermarket, the bad news is i only saw it once :(

I would love to find a place which sells a decent 'Reuben-Sandwich' in Pattaya, but I'm afraid there won't be any . . . . . .

crying.gif

I had a decent Rueben at Rich Man Poor Man soi 9 when I could not find Delli-zza first time I looked for it.

I agree. Not horrible. Not what you would find in a real (good) New York deli, but OK. Kind of like a Yugo compared to (nonexistent) Deli-zza's Cadillac. They charge about 200 baht for it right? So that proves a restaurant here can serve something like that, not horrible, for ... 200 baht.

For 100 baht? Do you believe in unicorns?

post-37101-0-30134000-1338535130_thumb.j

I reckon there WOULD be a good market in Pattaya for someone doing REAL bagels, you know with the real bagel baking equipment, and boiled dough. But another thing we do not have.

Edited by Jingthing

I totally disagree with JT's observation,I had a look around and thought it looked ok..He had good quality sandwich bread in the showcase and some meats and cheeses neatly wrapped and presented. I am thinking that is I can get an decent sandwich, even it is small, for 100 baht..thats fine with me. I think the guy deserves a chance and we might be pleasantly surprised by the product. I did see bagels as well. Lets remember this is Jomtien and not NYC, so expecting something like the Stage or Carnegie Deli in NYC is just absurd. Lets give him a chance and be happy we have a guy trying to appeal to something we all like...a good deli sandwich...like I said I will be happy with decent sandwich for 100baht

• Like 2

I totally disagree with JT's observation,I had a look around and thought it looked ok..He had good quality sandwich bread in the showcase and some meats and cheeses neatly wrapped and presented. I am thinking that is I can get an decent sandwich, even it is small, for 100 baht..thats fine with me. I think the guy deserves a chance and we might be pleasantly surprised by the product. I did see bagels as well. Lets remember this is Jomtien and not NYC, so expecting something like the Stage or Carnegie Deli in NYC is just absurd. Lets give him a chance and be happy we have a guy trying to appeal to something we all like...a good deli sandwich...like I said I will be happy with decent sandwich for 100baht

It's like you went to a different place. OK. To me it looked like a schwarma joint with an identity crisis. Why don't y'all try it and let us all know how you like it. Fine with me. I agree if the sandwiches are excellent and small that's no problem really, just order more food I guess if you want to. I didn't see any bagel items on the menu. So they sell bagels? Great. Where are the bagels sourced from? Are they better than the bad bagels we have in town or the same? Where is he sourcing his meats? Is he making his own corned beef and pastrami?

BTW, NO, it is NOT absurd to hope for authentic deli meats (and PROPER deli sandwiches) in Jomtien. Was Deli-zza a hallucination or something? They had New Yorkers vouch for their meats. I tasted their meats (yes I grew up with good deli but not a New Yorker) and while maybe not Carnegie Deli level, it would be hard to beat them in Asia.

Are you suggesting just because we are in Thailand, we are obligated to rave about stuff of ANY quality because we are so desperate for ANYTHING? Doesn't the local "food press" cover that function quite well already?

Edited by Jingthing