New York Deli Now Open In Jomtien

ericg1953

I totally disagree with JT's observation,I had a look around and thought it looked ok..He had good quality sandwich bread in the showcase and some meats and cheeses neatly wrapped and presented. I am thinking that is I can get an decent sandwich, even it is small, for 100 baht..thats fine with me. I think the guy deserves a chance and we might be pleasantly surprised by the product. I did see bagels as well. Lets remember this is Jomtien and not NYC, so expecting something like the Stage or Carnegie Deli in NYC is just absurd. Lets give him a chance and be happy we have a guy trying to appeal to something we all like...a good deli sandwich...like I said I will be happy with decent sandwich for 100baht

It's like you went to a different place. OK. To me it looked like a schwarma joint with an identity crisis. Why don't y'all try it and let us all know how you like it. Fine with me. I agree if the sandwiches are excellent and small that's no problem really, just order more food I guess if you want to. I didn't see any bagel items on the menu. So they sell bagels? Great. Where are the bagels sourced from? Are they better than the bad bagels we have in town or the same? Where is he sourcing his meats? Is he making his own corned beef and pastrami?

BTW, NO, it is NOT absurd to hope for authentic deli meats (and PROPER deli sandwiches) in Jomtien. Was Deli-zza a hallucination or something? They had New Yorkers vouch for their meats. I tasted their meats (yes I grew up with good deli but not a New Yorker) and while maybe not Carnegie Deli level, it would be hard to beat them in Asia.

Are you suggesting just because we are in Thailand, we are obligated to rave about stuff of ANY quality because we are so desperate for ANYTHING? Doesn't the local "food press" cover that function quite well already?

Oh dear someone had the audacity to disagree with JT.

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, and he didn't eat there either. coffee1.gif

I have no problem with anyone selling sandwiches all they like and making millions of dollars doing it! Personally, with sandwiches, I make them myself or I might go out for them if they're exceptional and beyond anything I could ever do myself, like Deli-zza. I can go to Foodland and buy bread and the commercial "deli" meats they sell in groceries here. I could but I don't as you can tell by just looking at those meats that they aren't like real New York/Montreal/London/Toronto deli meats. Tourists won't usually "cook" themselves. So there's a big market for tourists I think for this sandwich shop concept. Why not? Best of luck!

Let us all know if their meats are anything special, or just sourced from the same places we can buy meats here at the grocery stores.

As far as sandwiches, there are some types I would love to see in town that I wouldn't ever make myself:

New Orleans style muffaletta sandwiches

New Orleans style oyster or shrimp po boys

Vietnamese sandwiches (that place in Central has them but they could be done as a casual takeout option in a dedicated shop)

Edited by Jingthing

Most of the sandwiches seem to be in the 100baht price range...some a little more

do they have any bagels?

maannnnnn, i would kill for a fresh new york bagelbiggrin.png

I am not from NY and not Jewish but a nice chewy bagel is hard to find in Pattaya. I bought a package of 4 at Makro-Pattaya and they were best I found in Pattaya.

Well the good news is, i came across pretty good bagels at Tops Supermarket, the bad news is i only saw it once sad.png

I hope they made you pay for them afterwards?

Ok here are more explicit directions...as you head down jomtien beach road towards pattaya the beach road takes a sharp right at the police box and the entrance to dongtan beach..there is also a 7-11 on the left as you are making this sharp right turn..a few stores up from the 7-11 is the New York Deli....it is not part of that franchise that was in the Avenue Mall before and according to the guy working inside, it is owned by a guy from NY. The police box on jomtien beach rd is somewhat of a landmark here and that is why I was using it as a guide.

There's 2 police boxes on Jomtien Beach Road that are a landmark which is why I'm guessing JT asked which one?

Oh dear someone had the audacity to disagree with JT.

Dear, I really don't mind ...

So look at all this free publicity this Schwarma joint has generated and nobody has actually tried them yet!

Edited by Jingthing

Are you suggesting just because we are in Thailand, we are obligated to rave about stuff of ANY quality because we are so desperate for ANYTHING? Doesn't the local "food press" cover that function quite well already?

Isn't that exactly what you do with Sunrise Tacos?

• Like 1

No I do not. You obviously haven't really read my posts about the place in sum. Very mixed and some VERY critical (such as messing up some of their tacos with SUGAR fruit), and I never said anything was as good as a good place in California. I do like their chips though! I do think for SOME of their menu items they do a good enough job for expats to well satisfy a craving. That's hardly raving. I don't suggest tourists from California eat there though.

Back to this Schwarma joint/"New York deli" place IF someone can post news saying the owners there PROCESS THEIR OWN DELI meats I will definitely be there in a jiffy to try it! (Or if they source them from the Deli-zza people.)

Again, my food point of view here, which is only my personal point of view, is more focused on EXPATS who know many food choices in town tourists will never know, and also our own kitchens. You can only eat so many meals. All restaurants in town will fill your belly. I demand more than just food being food for my baht!

Edited by Jingthing

No I do not. You obviously haven't really read my posts about the place. Very mixed, and I never said anything was as good as a good place in California. I do like their chips though! I do think for SOME of their menu items they do a good enough job for expats to well satisfy a craving. That's hardly raving. I don't suggest tourists from California eat there though.

Back to this Schwarma joint/"New York deli place IF someone can post news saying the owners there PROCESS THEIR OWN DELI meats I will definitely be there in a jiffy to try it!

Jing, the problem with Thailand and its expats is when you have a place serving really excellent food using all imported ingredients and naturally charging premium prices for it, in many cases even more expansive than back home, people complain about the prices and being ripped off.

When you have places serving "ok" food based on their home recipe's, but using local ingredients and charging lower prices, people still complain that it does not taste as good or same.

So really, business simply can not win either way.

Going to nicer places that serve steaks for 600 baht, many will scream its a total rip off, but the steak they serve is imported Oz or NZ beef, then same people go to some bar/pub and get a steak for 100 baht and scream its not very soft or tender-but the steaks are local and ONLY 100 baht

• Like 1

I reject that. I think in many cases restaurants can make a happy compromise with costs/quality/imports vs. locally sourced and come up with winning menus. Not always, but it sometimes possible. There may be exceptions like with beefsteaks, yes.

Edited by Jingthing

Well I hate to go down the Jingthing road as I think he is too hard on places trying their best which is hard in this country. But here goes...I went to the NY deli today around 6:15pm and when a foreigner inside saw me looking at the menu on the stand outside he went and flipped the "closed sign" on the door and then went back and sat down continuing chatting with around 5 or 6 people. I was going to order a couple of sandwiches togo but It is out of the way for me as I live on the pattaya side but I have no plan to go back there after that, he could have at least stuck his head out and said "sorry we are closed" but he had no interest in doing that. There are no hours posted when they open or close. The place did look ok so I don't agree with Jingthing about that.

They get a "fail" for customer service from me.

I reject that. I think in many cases restaurants can make a happy compromise with costs/quality/imports vs. locally sourced and come up with winning menus. Not always, but it sometimes possible. There may be exceptions like with beefsteaks, yes.

But why you expect them to make compromise? Have you considered how much energy and time goes into importing products into Thailand?

The waste? ie foods past expiry dates

labor? local chiefs, good reliable chiefs do cost double if not triple the minimum wage. friendly service staff also requires above minimum wages.

i am not knocking your opinion, but i am saying that it is impossible to satisfy customers in Thailand, expats customers that is :)

Edited by phl

Well, I am well satisfied at a number of local restaurants. My Kitchen PAO comes to mind ...coffee1.gif

does PAO serve foreign food?

also you do realize that while you are satisfied there are a large number who are not smile.png

Been out with a few farang and wife combo's and am amazed at the crap some farangs eat. Makes me wonder if they just want to impress their lady OR are even us farangs are all different.

My Mrs loves watching the cookery programs where whats on the plate looks like a work of art but once eaten you need a BigMac to fill the void. laugh.png

Well, I am well satisfied at a number of local restaurants. My Kitchen PAO comes to mind ...coffee1.gif

also you do realize that while you are satisfied there are a large number who are not smile.png

Pao serves foreign food, yes. Chinese food. A lot of it is handmade on the spot and some ingredients are imported (flavor elements) and most (such as meats) are not. Enjoy!

Yes, I only speak for myself, dude. If you thought differently, that's your trip, not mine

Edited by Jingthing

Pao serves foreign food, yes. Chinese food. A lot of it is handmade on the spot and some ingredients are imported (flavor elements) and most (such as meats) are not. Enjoy!

Yes, I only speak for myself, dude. If you thought differently, that's your trip, not mine

lol, sorry i did not realize you were chineseclap2.gif

i wonder if chinese expat will enjoy it as much as you tongue.png

lol, sorry i did not realize you were chineseclap2.gif

i wonder if chinese expat will enjoy it as much as you tongue.png

Yes, some do. I can't speak for all Chinese expats though.

the problem with Thailand and its expats is when you have a place serving really excellent food using all imported ingredients and naturally charging premium prices for it, in many cases even more expansive than back home, people complain about the prices and being ripped off.

When you have places serving "ok" food based on their home recipe's, but using local ingredients and charging lower prices, people still complain that it does not taste as good or same.

Those are the facts, Jack. The only places that many expats praise are the hobby restaurants where the owner loses money, but just wants something to do. However, they usually are not the best cooks.

Edited by Ulysses G.

As far as sandwiches, there are some types I would love to see in town that I wouldn't ever make myself:

Now you're really stretching JT. There isn't but one place in the world to get either of those and you know. At least done right. I used to live 2 blocks from the Central Grocery on Decatur where the Muffaletta was created. They just don't taste the same anywhere else.

Most of the sandwiches seem to be in the 100baht price range...some a little more

do they have any bagels?

I am not from NY and not Jewish but a nice chewy bagel is hard to find in Pattaya. I bought a package of 4 at Makro-Pattaya and they were best I found in Pattaya.

Fresh bagels (although not award-winning) are available every morning at Continental Bakery on Thappraya Rd. Jomtien and Villa Market at the Avenue on Pattaya Second Rd. Usually poppy or sesame.

cool.png

do they have any bagels?

Fresh bagels (although not award-winning) are available every morning at Continental Bakery on Thappraya Rd. Jomtien and Villa Market at the Avenue on Pattaya Second Rd. Usually poppy or sesame.

cool.png

yeah i tried the once from Villa and bah.gif

But one time and only one time i got some from Tops, those were pretty decent in 3 flavors.

Been going to Tops every day in hope to get more, but no luck.

Thats actually a really good business idea for someone from NYC and the "secret" recipe on how to make it

The problem with bagels is that everyone seems to have a different idea of which ones are "good" A guy from New York was selling them in Chiang Mai, but almost no one but him liked them and he kept insisting that his were the real deal. .

Well I hate to go down the Jingthing road as I think he is too hard on places trying their best which is hard in this country. But here goes...I went to the NY deli today around 6:15pm and when a foreigner inside saw me looking at the menu on the stand outside he went and flipped the "closed sign" on the door and then went back and sat down continuing chatting with around 5 or 6 people. I was going to order a couple of sandwiches togo but It is out of the way for me as I live on the pattaya side but I have no plan to go back there after that, he could have at least stuck his head out and said "sorry we are closed" but he had no interest in doing that. There are no hours posted when they open or close. The place did look ok so I don't agree with Jingthing about that.

They get a "fail" for customer service from me.

Went there last night and saw that closed sign but it was for a good reason.

A big sign inside read "narcotics anonymous" and there were about 5 or 6 farangs sitting around.

Stand by for my review.

No I do not. You obviously haven't really read my posts about the place. Very mixed, and I never said anything was as good as a good place in California. I do like their chips though! I do think for SOME of their menu items they do a good enough job for expats to well satisfy a craving. That's hardly raving. I don't suggest tourists from California eat there though.

Back to this Schwarma joint/"New York deli place IF someone can post news saying the owners there PROCESS THEIR OWN DELI meats I will definitely be there in a jiffy to try it!

Jing, the problem with Thailand and its expats is when you have a place serving really excellent food using all imported ingredients and naturally charging premium prices for it, in many cases even more expansive than back home, people complain about the prices and being ripped off.

Going to nicer places that serve steaks for 600 baht, many will scream its a total rip off, but the steak they serve is imported Oz or NZ beef, then same people go to some bar/pub and get a steak for 100 baht and scream its not very soft or tender-but the steaks are local and ONLY 100 baht

As I have pointed out many times, this is because Pattaya seems to attract the cheapest of the cheap charlies.

In Phuket or Chiang Mia you probably can get a decent Ruben at a reasonable price.

And I know in Pnom Penn(next to Sharky's bar) there was a really authentic new york sandwich place.

I don't think I paid more than the equivalent of 5 bucks and it tasted like the real thing.

It is partly the greed of the landlords that prevents quality shops opening here.

To be is to be perceived.

do they have any bagels?

cool.png

Oh those. Bagel shaped bread you mean.

Now you're really stretching JT. There isn't but one place in the world to get either of those and you know. At least done right. I used to live 2 blocks from the Central Grocery on Decatur where the Muffaletta was created. They just don't taste the same anywhere else.

You may be right about Muffaletta, probably are. But I've had believable Poboys outside N'awlins..

The problem with bagels is that everyone seems to have a different idea of which ones are "good" A guy from New York was selling them in Chiang Mai, but almost no one but him liked them and he kept insisting that his were the real deal. .

LOL, may be everyone did not know the real dealclap2.gif