Riding From Phuket North Then Into Laos/Cambodia And Back

ok, so i know there are loads of various posts about bits of this trip but wanting to know if anyone has done this recently and fancies meeting up and sharing some info. no real plans yet but thinking leaving phuket end june and take a month or 3. off chance someone here has done this lately but would be prefect to meet up and discuss. and yep free food and booze whilst giving your info as long as you dont drink champagne!!

i own a pcx 125 (yes i know its the wrong bike fora long trip but its hat i have) and am flexible with almost everything... except ladyboys...

Sydneycraig, I needed a laugh this morning and you provided it. Does that mean you dont want a katoey on a harley riding alongside you.. you never know it could be a new beginning for you. At least at end of long day you can both complain about sore balls and know that the other person is actually feeling the pain ...

Good luck with your trip...ambitious on a PCX but doable and something you'll be proud of having done.

There was a thread on gt rider I think of some guy who did KL to CM on a scooter ( smaller one than yours). It may be an idea to look at that and see what issues he faced.

Ride safe

Gt rider web site has lots of information about riding aroudn Asia. As well as taking you bike out of Thailand. Good place to look for info

I think the PCX is a perfect bike for your ride. How far do you plan to go each day ?

What is your daily budget for room, food, fuel, and extras ?

I may be interested in tagging along for part or all of the ride or do you wish solo ? Some times I like another bike along, safer, Other times I just go it alone.

Not planned budget yet but living on around 60k baht a month in Phuket (sone rent free tine included) so imagine that plus a bit for activities... Not into p4p if that was the extras bit!! But flexible on budget to certain extent..need to leave for visa by start August. Probably anywhere from 2-5 hrs a day riding I'd say... Depends what's on the way!

A couple of years ago there was a retired Indian Army chap who rode from Delhi to London on a Bajaj Scooter - so the PCX should be luxury!

A few years ago (before the proper road was built) I rode a push-bike from Bangkok to Saigon .... Cambodia was facinating, but the scenery is a bit flat. Border crossings took ages though ..... you'll need visas and all your bike documents of course.

Sounds like a great trip .... take your time and take care.

Not planned budget yet but living on around 60k baht a month in Phuket (sone rent free tine included) so imagine that plus a bit for activities... Not into p4p if that was the extras bit!! But flexible on budget to certain extent..need to leave for visa by start August. Probably anywhere from 2-5 hrs a day riding I'd say... Depends what's on the way!

Extras are like bike repairs, new tires, oil changes along the way as well entrance fees to waterfalls, national parks, etc . . . Some times even a massage after a long day in the saddle. However your days seem very short at only 2 - 5 hours of riding. Yes I like to stop and see the sights along the way. leave 8 or 9 in the morning and start looking for a place to stay at 4 or 5 in the evening. I live and work here so my budget is less.

I assume you have headed off on your ride now. Not sure I want the hassles of boarder crossings, but a loop just inside Thailand. Have another joining me in 2 weeks to ride up north if you in the area and want to join in your welcome.

Budget can be less!! Not adverse to roughing it a little bit...No, still in Phuket. Got family visiting for next few weeks so thinking maby after... No real plan as yet and yes maby border crossing not needed. Will keep you posted

You may want to check a recent post by one of the regulars here who rode a t-max along the mekong and then did the MHS loop and then down to Tak. I have ridden a PCX around a bit. I did the CM, MHS loop last year and recently rode from CM down to Tak. The biggest problem is storage for your gear and tieing it down. Take some time figureing this out and you will be happy.

I've been all through Northeastern Thailand, Lao, and Cambodia on an MBike 200 dualsport within the last 6 months. It's super easy. Probably the nicest people in all of Thailand work at the border crossings, I went through a bunch and they were all very accommodating, including Friendship Bridge into Lao.

Shoot me a PM if you have any particular questions.

Edited by kicking