Hong Kong Holidays

Honkie

Wonder if some member can recommend some reasonable hotels in Hong Kong . plan to be there with the wife and kids for 4 nights from 25 to 29 Oct 2012. Two adults plus 3 kids , age 12 , 8 and 3.

Your kind assistance would be much appreciated.

reasonable for me means not too pricey and located near the MTR . Swimming pools not necessary. YMCA is always fully booked. A lot of Shopping Tourists from China. I just want to take my kids to Disney World, Ocean Park , etc.

I like a hotel called Bishop Lei. It is on HK Island just steps from the escalator so you can get to other places easily. Not cheap by Western standards (but HK hotels are shockingly expensive). They have a free shuttle that takes you to the MRT.

I prefer HK Island to Kowloon because it is a part of old HK - mix of East and West.

Google the hotel and you will get tons of info.

Good luck.

to californiabeachboy, ,thanks but Bishop Lei is not so convenient with 3 young kids. Thanks anyway.

to babysun.....thanks ..Ibis caters for 1 kid only

Maybe not what your looking for but have you looked at the Caritas places...run by the Catholic church, they are lodges, not hostels used to stay there many many years ago when I couldnt get into the Ramarda in Kowloon and could get a suite which slept 6 and breakfast for the price of a single room in a down town Kowloon hotel, dont know if they are still going, some near Mongkok if I remember correctly...very clean and run by the nuns...

As I say maybe not what you are looking for

to californiabeachboy, ,thanks but Bishop Lei is not so convenient with 3 young kids. Thanks anyway.

Maybe not what your looking for but have you looked at the Caritas places...run by the Catholic church, they are lodges, not hostels used to stay there many many years ago when I couldnt get into the Ramarda in Kowloon and could get a suite which slept 6 and breakfast for the price of a single room in a down town Kowloon hotel, dont know if they are still going, some near Mongkok if I remember correctly...very clean and run by the nuns...

Caritas? - they have 2 hotels,one is in YauMaTei and they made it bigger and more expensive.It is now bit more then 1kHK$.It is called "Bianchi Lodge".

Location? - Cuff Rd.It is bigger,but plenty of Catholics from China come to HK,it is hard to book and you have to call them or book through Caritas HK.

Next to it,but another street there is Salvation Army -"Booth Lodge",smaller and more expensive.

You can also try small chain of hotels called deceptivly - "Bridal Tea House",one is also in YauMaTei.,similar price.

If no succes still - there is Concerto Inn on Lamma Island,good for your kids.Good for them as well,but not good for your wallet - DisnayLand hotels on Lantau!

Caritas? - they have 2 hotels,one is in YauMaTei and they made it bigger and more expensive.It is now bit more then 1kHK$.It is called "Bianchi Lodge".

Location? - Cuff Rd.It is bigger,but plenty of Catholics from China come to HK,it is hard to book and you have to call them or book through Caritas HK.

Next to it,but another street there is Salvation Army -"Booth Lodge",smaller and more expensive.

You can also try small chain of hotels called deceptivly - "Bridal Tea House",one is also in YauMaTei.,similar price.

If no succes still - there is Concerto Inn on Lamma Island,good for your kids.Good for them as well,but not good for your wallet - DisnayLand hotels on Lantau!

Which is the one near boundary road ?....that were I used to stay...this was over 20 years ago

reasonable for me means not too pricey and located near the MTR . Swimming pools not necessary. YMCA is always fully booked. A lot of Shopping Tourists from China. I just want to take my kids to Disney World, Ocean Park , etc.

Try this.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/hong_kong/hong_kong/prudential_hotel.html

I don't know your price point, but I looked at probably 100 hotels in Kowloon over the past few weeks. There were only a few that let kids under 12 stay for free, and its very close to the MTR. About 30 minutes to Disney on MTR, and tons of stuff to do in Kowloon.

A little off topic but: I thought is was very strange that almost all the hotels in Kowloon, and I will assume HK, wanted to charge extra for kids over 2 or 3 years old. Certainly not typical of Thailand.

I also thought the Disney hotels were too expensive but there are often packages available to include admission to the parks, and with two double beds in the room, it wasn't as it first seemed.

FYI we stayed at the West Hotel in Kowloon, decent location, but it also had two double beds in the room and that's not easy to find at under USD200 per night.

Originally, we were going to stay at DL with a package deal; however the company I wanted to use never returned my emails. I also thought the prices at DL were reasonable considering you are within DL. But, there are no restaurants, stores or anything outside the gate, so everything has to be purchased at DL, making it very expensive to eat without getting on the MTR to Kowloon. So, we opted for Kowloon.

Thank You to all those who chipped in . My price range is around Usd 200 per night, anyway now maybe change to service apartment. Am looking around and will let U guys know the final outcome after bookings confirmed,

Ibis in North Point,still cheap,with swimming pool.

Agree on this one; seems often cheaper if you book direct on the Ibis website. Right next to MTR Station and easy access without being right in the City Center.

OP; don't forget to get your 'Oyster Cards' for your travel which cover the majority of public transport systems which will take you to all the major parks, peak, etc etc. Cheapest way to get around by far.

Ibis in North Point,still cheap,with swimming pool.

Agree on this one; seems often cheaper if you book direct on the Ibis website. Right next to MTR Station and easy access without being right in the City Center.

OP; don't forget to get your 'Oyster Cards' for your travel which cover the majority of public transport systems which will take you to all the major parks, peak, etc etc. Cheapest way to get around by far.

+1

Thank You to all those who chipped in . My price range is around Usd 200 per night, anyway now maybe change to service apartment. Am looking around and will let U guys know the final outcome after bookings confirmed,

I posted this a few weeks ago. We are staying here for 5 days. It's just under 200 USD per night, and kids stay for free. Confirmed for late July.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/hong_kong/hong_kong/prudential_hotel.html