Parking At U Tapao

Oink

Thinking of trying one of the Bangkok Airways 3 day 2 night trips to Samui (maybe plus a few extra nights). Does anyone know what the car parking arangements are at U Tapao airport and how much? Cannot find anything on the web!

Oink.

Yes quite a big park lot opposite the terminal, open air...how much per day..no idea, last time I parked there it was free..

Also dont forget, the Army will want some form of ID off you, which they hold at the main gate until you come back out if going in with a private car...you are going onto a military base

Edited by Soutpeel

Yes quite a big park lot opposite the terminal, open air...how much per day..no idea, last time I parked there it was free..

Also dont forget, the Army will want some form of ID off you, which they hold at the main gate until you come back out if going in with a private car...you are going onto a military base

No I was not required to leave any id to park my private car at the airport there. There is a small daily charge but the exact amount alludes me.

Edited by Jayman

No I was not required to leave any id to park my private car at the airport there. There is a small daily charge but the exact amount alludes me.

An ID is sometimes required at the main gate to get into UTP, guess this depends on the mood of the army...this is not at the airport terminal itself but as you come off the main road and this was the case not 2 weeks ago, I went down to the terminal, and came back out again

An ID is sometimes required at the main gate to get into UTP, guess this depends on the mood of the army...this is not at the airport terminal itself but as you come off the main road and this was the case not 2 weeks ago, I went down to the terminal, and came back out again

Ok.. I will not doubt that as it is a military installation. In the past I have just flashed my tickets as I go through the main gate. I'm sure they have complete discretion as to whom they allow to enter and on what terms.

re .

An ID is sometimes required at the main gate to get into UTP, guess this depends on the mood of the army...this is not at the airport terminal itself but as you come off the main road

here ... unles theres another entrance ?

dave2

post-42592-0-05341300-1338811182_thumb.j

re .

An ID is sometimes required at the main gate to get into UTP, guess this depends on the mood of the army...this is not at the airport terminal itself but as you come off the main road

here ... unles theres another entrance ?

dave2

Thats the one..and if you look at the photo...Mr Soldier is standing at the barrier near the guard house...

also in the center of the road there is a tag board...they take your ID off you and give you a red steel tag you put on your dash board.

As stated...when they do this all seems to depend on the mood of the army...at one time I was in and out of UTP airport 3-4 times a month...sometimes they wanted ID sometimes they didnt...

re .. There is but you will not get in that way

is this the other one ?

i tried hard to get a pic of this plane without upsetting the guards but when

i tried going round the front of it near the gate they didnt like that and

shouted at me so no pic : (

dave2

post-42592-0-92108200-1338860680_thumb.j

You will not get in that way definite unless you have a military pass/sticker on the car...but there is another way as well...but If told you I would have to kill you...all hush hush you know......tongue.pngwink.png

Mrs Soutpeel has a pass/sticker to get past these barriers in Sattahip, a friend of her's husband who isn in the army got her a pass and she goes shopping in the army/navy PX...stuff is quite cheap it appears...not sure were the this is within the whole Sattahip navy/army complex

Edited by Soutpeel

Hope they don't feel insulted by being referred to as "Army". I'm quite sure they must be "Marines".

wink.png

It's actually a Navy base. So calling them marines would definitely be an insult.

"It also serves as the U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airfield, home of the Royal Thai Navy First Air Wing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Tapao_Royal_Thai_Navy_Airfield

Edited by Jayman

Hope they don't feel insulted by being referred to as "Army". I'm quite sure they must be "Marines".

wink.png

There is army/navy and airforce around the whole sattahip you silly billy....this is fact and not from Wiki BTW....and the pass Mrs soutpeel has was issued by the ARMY...

Jeez what a pedantic pair of pricks.....ok lets say the Thai Military...you happy now ?

Is somebody being a little too sensitive here? So, I'm a silly billy prick for good naturedly pointing out the friendly rivalry that exists between the Army & the Marines (as well as between the marines & the sailors). That was the only intent - to make light of that rivalry - not to offend anyone.

The Marines are part of the Navy if you are not yet aware, so I doubt if there are any Army soldiers guarding the gates of Sattahip or Utapao naval installations. I was at Sattahip last week & there were marine guards at some of the entrances. I also passed Utapao last week and the guards were in BDU's. They could have been sailors in BDU's but could equally have been marines. Look at their covers (BDU caps), if it has the globe & anchor on it, then they are marines.

• Like 1

I'll be the first to say I didn't even know the Thais had a Marine Corps nor that they are under the Thai Navy. I'm ex USAF and first landed at Utapao on a mh-53 back in 1992. Since in the US the navy and marines are very different branches I was surprised to read just now that the marines of thailand are under the Naval branch.

But I do understand from being an airman that there is always rivalry throughout all the branches and was joining OneZero is his comments.... of course we are just having fun.

I should also point out before it comes up that I understand that the US marines formed from the US navy as well as the USAF formed from the US Army. But in the US they are all different branches in the present time.

Edited by Jayman